Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Bank and Zero Balances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity Bank and Zero Balances

Okay. I file this Friday, May 4th. Chapter 7. I have 19 credit cards (trust me, I know. Never again. Lol.) Of the 19 cards, 6 are store cards issued through Comenity. One is overcharged ($500 CL) and one is currently reporting as $20 under the $250 limit. Four others have zero balances and credit limits of $250, $250, $250, and $2k. I've never used the card with the $2k balance and the other 3 I paid off right away.

So, my question is if anyone had a similar situation. They will get burned on the two cards but I am curious if there's any chance they'll keep the other 4 open. I know that's probably a long shot and I really won't care if they do close them because I plan to stay away from store cards. But in the meantime, they could open up my utilization and age of credit so it wouldn't be ALL bad. Two of the four are the oldest cards on my report. And I am reading Comenity can be forgiving but I am not sure if that applies when you're burning them on two cards and keeping 4 at the same time.

Did anyone have a similar situation?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

Re: Comenity Bank and Zero Balances

Every creditor gets notified of your filing. When comenity gets notice of your case, they will most likely shut down all accounts.

Bk Chp. 7 Discharged 04/13/2018
Date of filing: 01/11/2018
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh I know they'll definitely find out. Lol. And like I said, I don't really care if they do close them. I was just curious if anyone had a similar situation. Thanks for replying! Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 15
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

also as for getting in with them again, you might have better luck than I did. I've never had a comenity card and still don't after applying after discharge, I guess they don't like me.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the most part, my limits never increased, as you can see. Two of the $250 balances are my oldest cards. And I plan to limit store cards in the future. I wouldn't say you're missing much with Comenity. Lol.
Message 5 of 15
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

I was looking forward to an overstock card, but I guess that it can wait🤷🏻‍♂️
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

They just closed both of mine, zero balances were reporting.
Message 7 of 15
Hershey_Kiss
Established Member

They closed both of mine which had a ZERO balance at the time of filing
Starting scores: EQ 564 TU 580 EX 530
Chap 7 BK filed 1/17/2018
341 Meeting 2/20/2018
BK discharged 4/27/2018

Scores day of DC: EQ 629 TU 598 EX 566
Current Fico 8 EQ 701 TU 660 EX 691
Goal by EOY: 700 across the board

In wallet: Cap One Plat ($1550) Discover It ($6000) Cap One QS ($3800) Cap One Venture One ($7500)
Message 8 of 15
onstar
Established Contributor

My BK was discharged within the last 2 months.

I had 5 accounts with Comenity. One had a $8000 balance which was included in the BK. The other 4 had $0 balance, and Comenity never closed these 4 accounts. From what everyone is telling me, I got really lucky. I got to keep 4 TLs with over $15,000 in credit line. I spent <$50 on 2 of the cards just to see if they will work, and they did. I don't plan on using any of these cards on a regular basis. Maybe use them once a year for a tiny purchase just to show some activity.

Anyway, here is one positive data point. But again, my understanding is that this is not the norm.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah. I am not expecting them to keep them open, and I won't be too upset if they don't. But the credit open from the get-go would be nice and my oldest card on my report is one of the Comenity ones with a 0 balance.

But it's nice to know they did for someone so there's like a TINY, absolutely miniscule chance they will keep them open. lol. Thanks!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.