Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit before discharge?

tag
washington12
Regular Contributor

Credit before discharge?

Just curious about this. I had my 341 meeting, and was told if no one tries to object i'll be discharged in 2 months. Is it not advised to get one of those no credit check secured cards? 

Starting Score: 539eq 482tu 509ex
Current Score: 539eq 482tu 509ex
Goal Score: 650eq 650tu 650ex

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Credit before discharge?

I wouldn't advise trying for any cards until after your DC, and your reports reflect your DC. Some may say too that "others" have done it and it's ok, but I personally wouldn't risk it. Just wait...Plus, lenders like to see that your reports reflect the DC, not just that it was filed.
Message 2 of 5
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I got my OpenSky secured card after the 341 meeting but before discharge and I'm glad I did.   I also opened a share secured loan the day after my 341 meeting.   My lawyer said no problem and it gave me a jump on things and something to do.   There is no duty to report new debt incurred during the pendency of a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.   This is not the case in a chapter 13 where trustee approval is required for any new debt, secured or unsecured.

Message 3 of 5
washington12
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your advice!

Starting Score: 539eq 482tu 509ex
Current Score: 539eq 482tu 509ex
Goal Score: 650eq 650tu 650ex

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@washington12 wrote:

Thank you for your advice!

You will get people say wait, and some that say its no big deal and they got cards right after their 341. I guess Im the "play it safe" route type, where I wouldnt want to jnyx anything, lol. But, you do what you think is right and best for you. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.