Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian & Bankruptcy Reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian & Bankruptcy Reporting

Hey folks- need some help.

Did a joint chapter 7 back in 4/2016, was discharged 8/2016.... reported good, then tried to have some removed- Transunion did not post it correctly, disputed it and it was removed. Equifax and Experian seemed to report fine, shoes discharged and was able to get credit, etc.

Fast forward to Friday- Went to apply for a home improvement loan- and was denied, because Experian is now showing my bankruptcy as still open! So, not only did it cost me a hard inquiry, but I’ve got to get it fixed, and then reapply!

Am I able to get this removed? And then how can I get the banks inquiry removed as well, since CR sent them an incorrect report?

Your input would be great!
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian & Bankruptcy Reporting

You can not get the bank inquiry removed. You applied for a home equity loan. It is a legitimate inquiry. I understand you did not know that a bankruptcy (even due to incorrect info) was on your report. That does not make the inquiry illegitimate. Sorry, but checking your own report is free and easy. Never apply for credit without first checking your report.

As for the bankruptcy, you can order your court documents and submit a dispute to have the information properly updated. What could have happened is, last time you disputed, it dropped off during the investigation. That’s not common but it can happen. Then it came back verified and they put it back on without the correct status. Or when TU switched public records providers (last fall I think) the new company gave them bad info. Either way the remedy is the same.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian & Bankruptcy Reporting

Thanks for the reply! I checked my report last cycle, and it shows as discharged. When they told me on the phone that it was still open, I nearly fell out of my seat. I know I have a few remedies under the FCRA, but this is going to be like the 3rd time they have jacked it up.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.