Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing Credit Reports

tag
Eppie1983
Valued Member

Fixing Credit Reports

Hey guys I will have my Chapter 13 discharged here in a month or so. Just wondering if anybody had a bunch of wrong or not updated stuff on their credit reports. My question is will the discharge fix this on its own, is there some kind of letter that gets sent from the court to set them straight, etc. Any help on this is appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
EquityinScoresNow22
New Contributor

Re: Fixing Credit Reports

@Eppie1983 So...I'm not the expert on this, but by "fixing" I believe you mean updating. Yes, the creditors will be notified then they have I think 60 days to update their information. If you research on the site, you'll see most of the community recommend you check your reports 30 days AFTER the discharge. If at that point certain items have not been updated, you can make the decision to either start the process to dispute items or wait a little longer to see if they are updated. If you decide/need to go the dispute route, research and find information on more detailed steps to take as you approach those slacking creditors! Best!

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: 0
Goal Score: 761

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Fixing Credit Reports

In your other thread I recommended you get a free Credit Karma account. The Vantage score is useless but it's useful to check your report from both Transunion & Equifax to make sure everything is correct & accurate. You should also pull your credit report for all 3 bureaus from https://www.annualcreditreport.com. There's a bunch of phony sites claiming "free reports" and try to get you to sign up for a fee, make sure it says "The only source for your free credit reports Authorized by Federal Law". 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.