Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU questions

@Guyatthebeach wrote:
Heltmeraiseit is 100% correct. I was denied when I applied after my bankruptcy. I did not get approved until after a year post bankruptcy.

Don't worry, There are other cards out there.

Hang in there it will get better.

The general policy is to not approve members for an unsecured card until 1 year post discharge. That's not to say that exceptions can't be made, but this post is in line with policy.

Message 41 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would do a Recon but feel your best bet is to do a secured card to get in the door.  I had a CH13 so it was harder to rebuild than a CH7 and I burned AMEX, Chase, Citi and USAA so I was limited to my debit card for years.  After discharge I applied to NFCU for a Secured loan and funded a secured credit card w/that same amount.  After I think a year of usage and paying off both the secured loan and credit card, my card became unsecured and I am now getting approved for everything except AMEX (although I have a Penfed Amex) and Citi.  $500 is all it takes to establish two lines that report to all three and then opens the door to NFCU.  Just my .02.  Cheers. 

Message 42 of 47
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would do a Recon but feel your best bet is to do a secured card to get in the door.  I had a CH13 so it was harder to rebuild than a CH7 and I burned AMEX, Chase, Citi and USAA so I was limited to my debit card for years.  After discharge I applied to NFCU for a Secured loan and funded a secured credit card w/that same amount.  After I think a year of usage and paying off both the secured loan and credit card, my card became unsecured and I am now getting approved for everything except AMEX (although I have a Penfed Amex) and Citi.  $500 is all it takes to establish two lines that report to all three and then opens the door to NFCU.  Just my .02.  Cheers. 

I will be starting to rebuild and I am curious to hear about your rebuild as its the route i plan on going... So when i try for a secured loan i should ask taht it be applied to a secured credit card or can you elaborate more please.. As i thought they were seperate trades totally....

CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 43 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shaun2009 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I will be starting to rebuild and I am curious to hear about your rebuild as its the route i plan on going... So when i try for a secured loan i should ask taht it be applied to a secured credit card or can you elaborate more please.. As i thought they were seperate trades totally....

They cut you a check once the loan has been established > Turn around and use the proceeds as collateral for the secured cc > Continue to pay on the loan. 

Message 44 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if nfcu is included you arrange to pay after bk is discharged
Message 45 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So if nfcu is included you arrange to pay after bk is discharged

I don't fully understand your question. Are you asking about the process to repay a Navy Federal debt that has been included in discharge? If that's the case, you would contact the bankruptcy department. They'll have you sign a form stating you are voluntarily repaying back a discharged debt (though you have no obligation to do pay). 

I would carefully consider the value of repaying a debt included in bankruptcy before paying it off. Unless the debt is a small amount, it often isn't the best financial move to repay a discharged debt for the sole reason of being able to get credit again from a particular bank/credit union.

Message 46 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I just love nfcu even when I was in debt and behind they still helped and are very pleasant EVERY time I call. I really love that bank. And they gave me a chance when no one else did..
Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.