Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store cards after ch7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store cards after ch7

Hey all I'm 4 months after my ch 7 discharge and my credit scores are 583, 584, and 611. I have a capital one platinum card and was advise they won't approve you after you receive a card from them for 6 months. Are their any store cards I am be approved for? I did burn synchrony in my BK with a Walmart card and a gander mt CC. Thanks for any help
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store cards after ch7

Comenity has a lot of store cards that you can try. You may have heard of the so-called "Shopping Cart Trick", which is a very easy way to get one of those cards without a hard pull on your credit reports. I would caution, though, that if you do this, you only go for cards that you know you're going to actually use, and follow all the guidelines about good credit use that you can find here.  I bolded that part because I have seen many reports about people who've applied for lots - in some cases, literally dozens - of Comenity (and Synchrony) store cards as an easy way of boosting their credit scores and rebuilding their credit portfolios, but have made several key mistakes that have led to them being hit with AA's by Comenity up to and including the closure of many if not all of those cards, leaving them back at square 1 if they hadn't pursued other avenues to diversity their credit portfolio. Applying for too many cards that one is not going to use regularly is one of the most common of those mistakes. Getting caught up in the CLI race to the extent that one's CL's are being inflated to absurd limits is another.

All that having been said, getting a couple of good cards from Comenity is a great rebuilding tool if you do it right. I got the Overstock store card just last night myself (after having received a preapproved offer via email, not the SCT, oddly enough), and when I got the "Congratulations" screen, my eyes just about popped out, because I got a $4000 SL - the biggest I've been granted on any card since I started my own rebuilding. I'm given to understand that the OS card is also a good one to grow quite fast; just be careful about how often you do CLI requests and how much you ask for. I don't know how forgiving Synchrony is to BK customers who've had cards with them, but you could try with one of their base store cards, like Amazon, and see if it works. Watch out for getting too many HP inquiries, though, because Synchrony doesn't allow the SCT and does HP's on apps.

Is your Capital One Platinum secured or unsecured? It's correct that you can't apply for another card from Cap One for six months after your last successful application, but there are other secured cards that you can look into. Discover's secured card, in particular, is highly regarded in these forums, especially because it will graduate to an unsecured card after a certain period of responsible use.  The situation with Cap One's secured cards is more complex; cards issued in the last year or so do graduate to unsecured, but older unsecured cards are a lot more iffy though I've heard a few reports of some Cap One secureds being graduated. (I'd love to have that happen with mine so I can combine it with my unsecured!)

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a unsecured CC from cap 1 but I also burnt Discover so I was afraid to even try for a secured card with them. Thanks for the response!
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It is a unsecured CC from cap 1 but I also burnt Discover so I was afraid to even try for a secured card with them. Thanks for the response!

How about Bank of America? They also have a secured card, so if you haven't burnt them as well that's another option.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will look into that as well. I'd like to stay with cards that I can keep long term so that would be a good option. What is the shopping cart trick? I'm very new here
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I will look into that as well. I'd like to stay with cards that I can keep long term so that would be a good option. What is the shopping cart trick? I'm very new here

Basically, the Shopping Cart Trick involves going to an online store for which Comenity provides/services their dedicated store credit card (check this thread for an updated list: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/List-Of-Shopping-Cart-Trick-Credit-Cards/td-p/2325199 ). There are various wrinkles to it that are discussed in detail in other threads here (use the search function - the usual abbreviation is "SCT", or you can Google for information from other sites such as Doctor of Credit). but here's how it goes in broad outline:

1) Create an account at the store you're interested in. You MUST make sure that your name and mailing address match what's on your credit reports.This is how Comenitty finds potential customers for its cards, by doing SP's (soft pulls - those inquiries won't appear on your report, unlike "hard pulls") to see your profile.

2) Shop and find some items that you'd like to buy, and put them into your online cart.

3) When you're done, go to the checkout page.

4) In many cases, you'll see a popup window - IMPORTANT: Make sure that your popup blocker, if you have one, allows popup windows from that store!! - which says something like "Congratulations! You've been pre-approved/pre-qualified for a card from (store name)..." and invites you to click a button to go to the application page.

5) You did remember to make sure your name and address is accurate to what's on your credit reports, right? Smiley Wink

6) When you go to the application page, your name and address should be pre-populated already from your store account info. The main things you'll have to provide are your Social Security number and your income. Enter those and press the "submit" button.

7) With luck, you'll get the "Congratulations!" popup window next and see how much your SL is. Remember to post to Credit Card Approvals to share your good fortune. Smiley Wink

8) In most cases you'll be able to make purchases with your new card at once, because Comenity will link your new card to your store account for you. You probably won't get your full card number right away; but as a general rule you'll get your welcome package within a week to couple of weeks which will contain that information, as well as the usual disclosures and information as to how to set up your online account. Each store will have a link to their store card account page, usually under "Your Account" or "Store Information" or "How To Buy" or some such thing. You'll have to wait until you get your complete card number to set up your account, but as I said, you won't generally have to wait long for that. If you need your card number sooner, contact Comenity or the store via phone or online chat and (after verifying your identity) they'll gladly provide that information to you.

I'm pretty sure I've left out something important Smiley Tongue , so anyone else, feel free to chime in!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple more things:

1) You don't need a lot of credit cards to establish a sound foundation for rebuilding. Three is generally recommended as the "sweet spot". You already have a Cap One unsecured, so all you need is a store card from a joint that you want to buy stuff from and expect to use reasonably regularly, and another card, preferably at this point a secured one, and you're good to go.

2) Another reason not to go hog-wild and get a whole bunch of store cards, in addition to what I said before, is that lenders and insurance companies tend to get nervous when they see a LOT of store cards, particularly just from one bank, on a customer's profile. Insurance companies have, in fact, been known to raise rates on customers who have too many store cards.  So take it easy. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Personally, I would stay away from store cards unless you get a real benefit from them.

Amazon = 5% back

Lowes = 0% APR for 6-24 months

Generally, store cards have horrific interest rates, low credit lines, and limited use options.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Personally, I would stay away from store cards unless you get a real benefit from them.

Amazon = 5% back

Generally, store cards have horrific interest rates, low credit lines, and limited use options.

It's really a subjective, case-by-case kind of thing. As I've said, my philosophy is that when it comes to store cards, you should only get the ones that you both want to have and expect to use reasonably regularly. "Low credit lines" is really a big variable; my Amazon store card that I got in November is still at its SL of $800 though I'm planning to try for a CLI this month, but my brand-new Overstock store card came with a SL of a whopping $4,000 (on a SP yet). Also, by their very nature, store cards are "limited use" devices, so one has to keep that in mind when app'ing for one. All that being said, the well-chosen couple of good store cards are a terrific part of your credit portfolio if you use them right.

Message 9 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Amazon = 5% back

It's really a subjective, case-by-case kind of thing. As I've said, my philosophy is that when it comes to store cards, you should only get the ones that you both want to have and expect to use reasonably regularly. "Low credit lines" is really a big variable; my Amazon store card that I got in November is still at its SL of $800 though I'm planning to try for a CLI this month, but my brand-new Overstock store card came with a SL of a whopping $4,000 (on a SP yet). Also, by their very nature, store cards are "limited use" devices, so one has to keep that in mind when app'ing for one. All that being said, the well-chosen couple of good store cards are a terrific part of your credit portfolio if you use them right.

of course there are exeptions...my lowes card CL is $17,000 but I also saw that someone on here has a Macy's card with CL of $100.  

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.