Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Credit Cards after Ch7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA Credit Cards after Ch7

I'm 1 year 6 months from Ch7 discharge with 1 unsecured Capital One card I opened 1 year ago. 

I am a USAA member and didn't have any lines of credit with them before the BK.

My credit score is currently around 715- TU, 725- EQ, 670-EX

I'd like to open an unsecured USAA rewards card. I've seen a few older posts about USAA not being kind to those with bankruptcies. Is it worth trying for? I'm not one to have a bunch of cards and inquiries.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: USAA Credit Cards after Ch7

My understanding is that they won't consider until 6-7 years post DC. My BK7 was DC 08/2013, and I was approved for unsecured CC 01/2019. They were also burned in my BK as well. I had tried many times previously starting at the two year post BK mark, and never approved.

They no longer offer the secured CC. I would send an email to their credit department, and ask their policy on approving with BK on file with someone who didn't burn them.

When I tried, I was told 7 years regardless of burn or not. Every time I applied, a big red box came up saying "you have a bankruptcy!!!". LOL..

Message 2 of 7
MoBra
New Contributor

Hi @pizza1 

Which cards and credit unions have you found that are bankruptcy friendly?  I burned Navy and PenFed so I'm looking for alternatives.

Message 3 of 7
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

@MoBra wrote:

Hi @pizza1 

Which cards and credit unions have you found that are bankruptcy friendly?  I burned Navy and PenFed so I'm looking for alternatives.

Reach out to your local credit union, and start a relationship with them. Capital One is also a very forgiving bank aswell. 

Discover is also a BK friendly place aswell.

It all depends on who you burned and who you didn't

You may want to consider opening a secured card as they are often easier to open; US Bank has a great Secured card offering with their Altitude and the Cash+

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Credit Limit: 6000
EDC: QuickSilver 1 1.5% $39 AF
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 4 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@MoBra wrote:

Hi @pizza1 

@MoBra ,  For CU's I have Navy, PF, BECU, Alliant ( got in with all of them after DC), I didn't burn any of them in my BK.  For CC's, I have or have had just about every lender, even lenders I burned in my BK.  Im a little over 8yrs post DC, so Ive done a lot of rebuilding.   Who all did you burn in your BK?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me I had BofA, Sears Citi, and Discover. The only one that had a balance on it was the Discover which my ex-husband was using. The other two show discharged in bankruptcy even though they had no balance which irritates me to no end. 

I received a pre-approval from Capital One fairly soon after the discharge and got a $1000 limit. They have pre-approved me for their rewards card, but I'd prefer to get the USAA AMEX card if I could.  Thank you @pizza1 

Message 6 of 7
MoBra
New Contributor

@pizza1 Congrats on your rebuild, I want to get there!!!

My goodness that list is long :

Navy Federal *3

Pen Fed *2

Capital One *3

American Express *2

Barclays *3

Bank of America

Discover

Honda

Comenity *5

Synchrony *4

I'm sure I'm missing a few

I just got in NASA, First Tech, SECU and waiting on Alliant's response. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.