Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle loan after BK

tag
frankjaeger
New Contributor

Vehicle loan after BK

My discharge was almost 60 days ago now. I have one unsecured credit card with a $300 limit and a Self credit builder loan. Since my discharge, all three bureau's scores have increased anywhere from 30-80 points and are now all sitting around ~600. My auto loan scores are all closer to ~630 each.

Some quick background, I didn't burn any loans or auto loans. I never defaulted and all my previous loans of any type were all paid in full and on time. My BK was credit cards ONLY. That being said, I'm in a predicament.

My current vehicle is paid off, but now having engine troubles. The $11,000 need a new engine kind, not the $500 kind. I'm thinking about taking what I can get for it on a trade-in, but I'm not sure that I'll be approved for any kind of auto loan so quick after a discharge with my scores hovering right around 600. A co-signer is not an option and neither is "just buy a $1,000 junker for the time being".

Any advice from someone who has gotten an auto loan right after discharge?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Vehicle loan after BK

go to capital one auto pre-qualify and see if you qualify.  I'm sure you do most people qualify right after their discharge from my understanding.

Message 2 of 6
frankjaeger
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

go to capital one auto pre-qualify and see if you qualify.  I'm sure you do most people qualify right after their discharge from my understanding.

I don't. Maybe because I burned them for a credit card in my BK.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh that sucks, regardless I'd still go to a dealership you should have no issue getting a car loan.

Message 4 of 6
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

I bought a new Corolla 3 weeks post BK. Capital One Auto picked it up at 18% for 72 months even though I wasn't approved through the auto navigator 

Message 5 of 6
Mjhall85
Frequent Contributor

A loan after discharge many have success with it. The rate may not be the best but keep rebuilding while you have it and refinance down the road. I'll be buying a vehicle here shortly and will chime back in with my numbers. My FICOs are right around 600 as we speak. I been discharged just over a week. 

Chapter 7 filed 2/3
Discharged 6/30

Fico 8
EQ 681 TU 671 Ex 665
Fico 4 TU 690 Fico 5 702 Fico 2 693
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.