cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What else can I do post-discharge? What should be disputed on CR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What else can I do post-discharge? What should be disputed on CR?

My Ch 7 discharge was last Monday. I did not wait the 30 days to update and immediately disputed anything that was still in collections. They were all removed. I was approved for an unsecured capital one @ $300 and an unsecured Credit One @ $300. I will keep them below 10% and have autopay before due date.

Should I also get a credit builder loan? I have student loans, but they still say discharged in bankruptcy and haven’t reappeared yet. My car is current and not reaffirmed, so that’s not showing either.

Also — should charge-offs still be reported or can I dispute those? Do they stick on for 7 years regardless of bankruptcy?

And finally, once I’ve had those cards for a few months, what do you suggest next? I plan on buying a house in 2 years and would like a very solid score. Right now Ex: 580 TU: 530 (still disputing a lot here) FICO says 550 and my mortgage score is 610. When I applied for the credit card yesterday, it reported 615. Not sure why the discrepancy.
3 REPLIES 3
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: What else can I do post-discharge? What should be disputed on CR?

@Anonymous wrote:
My Ch 7 discharge was last Monday. I did not wait the 30 days to update and immediately disputed anything that was still in collections. They were all removed. I was approved for an unsecured capital one @ $300 and an unsecured Credit One @ $300. I will keep them below 10% and have autopay before due date. Hello adn welcome. 

Should I also get a credit builder loan? I have student loans, but they still say discharged in bankruptcy and haven’t reappeared yet. My car is current and not reaffirmed, so that’s not showing either.No, you have loans already. You dont need a rebuilder loan. Give the CRA time to update and reflect everything correctly

Also — should charge-offs still be reported or can I dispute those? Do they stick on for 7 years regardless of bankruptcy? If they were charged of before you filed your BK, they yes, they are reporting correctly, adn will follow the DOFD rule, which is 7 yrs from the DOFD on the account. 

And finally, once I’ve had those cards for a few months, what do you suggest next? I plan on buying a house in 2 years and would like a very solid score. Right now Ex: 580 TU: 530 (still disputing a lot here) FICO says 550 and my mortgage score is 610. When I applied for the credit card yesterday, it reported 615. Not sure why the discrepancy.  The only ones that matter are true fico scores. All the others are fako scores.  You could check the pre-qual page for kohl's if you shop there.  That would give you 3 CC to rebuild with for now, and all you need for now.  I would also give your reports time to reflect the DC, and allow them to correct themselves. It  can take up to 60 days post DC for that to happen. 

Message 2 of 4
twono
Frequent Contributor

OP- if you have accts still showing as opened on EX, i would dispute those asap.  I say this because i had 2 accts that were reported open and w/balances,  3 wks post DC.  I filed an online dispute thru experian and within 2 hours, experian emailed me saying the results from the disputes were in.  And sure enough, the 2 open accts were changed to $0 balance/closed/ IIB.

Everybody says to wait at least 30 days post DC to do anything, but i lost a good 3 wks worth of sleep worrying about these accts that were reporting opened and with balances.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

With your 2 cards, Only have 1 report a balance on statement date. Then PIF before the due date. PIF the other before statement date. But dont have both show 0 balance or you'll lose points.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.