Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX APPROVAL FROM THE BLACKLIST

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX APPROVAL FROM THE BLACKLIST

Hi All, 

Two years removed from a Chap 7 with a sizeable AMEX chargeoff. I know i'm a blacklister because the applications had been auto-denied, and in the months after the BK, I was unable to be added as an AU. 

I was just approved as an AU on one of their business products (two years since the bk with scores over 700), and I recalled reading somewhere that putting in some time as an AU "could" be enough to get someone off the list. Interesting enough; the membership year is '17, and if they were tying it up to my prior record, it should read '08. So that had me wondering what all of this could mean? Obviously the easiest thing to do would be wait until the time is right for a new card; see if i'm approved, and if i'm double-lucky maybe even get another bonus! 

Any feedback would be appreciated! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX APPROVAL FROM THE BLACKLIST

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All, 

Two years removed from a Chap 7 with a sizeable AMEX chargeoff. I know i'm a blacklister because the applications had been auto-denied, and in the months after the BK, I was unable to be added as an AU. 

I was just approved as an AU on one of their business products (two years since the bk with scores over 700), and I recalled reading somewhere that putting in some time as an AU "could" be enough to get someone off the list. Interesting enough; the membership year is '17, and if they were tying it up to my prior record, it should read '08. So that had me wondering what all of this could mean? Obviously the easiest thing to do would be wait until the time is right for a new card; see if i'm approved, and if i'm double-lucky maybe even get another bonus! 

Everyone is approved for a business AU card, so its not a way back into Amex. Also, Amex likes to see 5 years post BK before they will approve.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the feedback. I actually had been rejected three times over the first two years to become an AU. I also just received an updated card from AMEX today that changed my membership year from '17 to '08; so that was interesting to me as well. 

Message 3 of 7
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All, 

AMEX has relaxed from their former lifetime sentences to 5 years forgiveness for CH.7 (when AMEX not included) and 8-10 years (AMEX chargeoffs and included in BKs). The business AU may not play by the same rules as personal card underwriting.While it doesn't hurt being able to reestablish an internal record with AMEX, I would not put much stock in the membership year presentation. I'm sure YMMV. 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much, that makes sense to me!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

must be nice. Im 6 years post bk, had a very small balance with them when I filed BK (was from an authorized user, had paid off the balance completely and they charged something for like $1200 the night before the BK) they still wont even consider my applications. Was rejected as an AU for 5 years finally let me back in on an AU card at the 5 year mark. 

Message 6 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All, 

Congrats on your AU approval!

Just a note that a few months after my own Chapter 7 - in which Amex was also included - I was able to get a Corporate card, so there's no hard-and-fast rule when it comes to business/corporate cards.  Smiley Wink

In any case enjoy your new addition!  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.