Tag/@mention implementation

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Beta Tag/@mention implementation

@pizza1 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous tagging the user would be needed and not tagging, lets say, @supercontributor. Only one, or the listed person(s), would get the alert and not the entire group within the rank?

Surprised this wasn't rolled out earlier...or maybe it just wasn't available on the platform. Hope it works out well for those in the group!

@Anonymous problem with making it more widely available is it would most certainly be abused. I don't want a forum that ends up looking like a Facebook or Instagram post with 172 @ posts. In addition, everytime someone @ someone else, it would bump the thread which could cause threads to get prematurely buried or keep things at the top which should get buried. I think rolling it out in test waves and starting at the top levels and working their way down is the way to go. When it starts to get abused, roll it back.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner@, the only time you would see an @mention, would be if a poster needed to bring attention to a certain person for whatever reason, lets say..someone responded to a particular question in a thread, they would @mention the person so they would get an email alert so they could view what was said. 

@Anonymous all honesty, we dont have that many "super" users that are active on the forums, and only a handful of "epic" and one or two "legendary". The CL's and mods of course can @mention. Those would be the only people that can currently do this.  So, I dont think it's going to be a real issue. 

@Correct, but people want it at lower levels. That's where I believe the problems will begin. I'd be willing to bet once it got down to about valued contributor we will start to see posts with just @Anonymous.

Message 41 of 56
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous tagging the user would be needed and not tagging, lets say, @supercontributor. Only one, or the listed person(s), would get the alert and not the entire group within the rank?

Surprised this wasn't rolled out earlier...or maybe it just wasn't available on the platform. Hope it works out well for those in the group!

@Anonymous problem with making it more widely available is it would most certainly be abused. I don't want a forum that ends up looking like a Facebook or Instagram post with 172 @ posts. In addition, everytime someone @ someone else, it would bump the thread which could cause threads to get prematurely buried or keep things at the top which should get buried. I think rolling it out in test waves and starting at the top levels and working their way down is the way to go. When it starts to get abused, roll it back.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner@, the only time you would see an @mention, would be if a poster needed to bring attention to a certain person for whatever reason, lets say..someone responded to a particular question in a thread, they would @mention the person so they would get an email alert so they could view what was said. 

@Anonymous all honesty, we dont have that many "super" users that are active on the forums, and only a handful of "epic" and one or two "legendary". The CL's and mods of course can @mention. Those would be the only people that can currently do this.  So, I dont think it's going to be a real issue. 

@Correct, but people want it at lower levels. That's where I believe the problems will begin. I'd be willing to bet once it got down to about valued contributor we will start to see posts with just @Anonymous.

The Moderators and Admins will be watching this closely I'm sure, and see how things go Smiley Happy 

Message 42 of 56
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Moderators and Admins will be watching this closely I'm sure, and see how things go Smiley Happy 

You can always PM someone if you really wanted a question answered, so I don't think this will change all that much. I agree it shouldn't be allowed at the lower ranks but there's alot of good forum members that contribute and wouldnt abuse it that are either established/valued contributer levels.

Since the requirments to level up are a secret, it's hard to tell exactly how far members like me have to go until they reach the higher ranks. I've been a member for ~15 months and typed alot of responses but I'm not all that high in the hierarchy

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 43 of 56
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can always PM someone if you really wanted a question answered, so I don't think this will change all that much. I agree it shouldn't be allowed at the lower ranks but there's alot of good forum members that contribute and wouldnt abuse it that are either established/valued contributer levels.

I'm sure there are, but you know the saying, one bad apple....

That being said, that's what the community leaders are, people who, despite their level, are an asset to the community.

Message 44 of 56
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
Since the requirments to level up are a secret, it's hard to tell exactly how far members like me have to go until they reach the higher ranks. I've been a member for ~15 months and typed alot of responses but I'm not all that high in the hierarchy

Saw your edit. It's hard to say. I've been a member for about 9 months and am already a senior. Maybe someone should make a data point thread about it. 😆

Message 45 of 56
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can always PM someone if you really wanted a question answered, so I don't think this will change all that much. I agree it shouldn't be allowed at the lower ranks but there's alot of good forum members that contribute and wouldnt abuse it that are either established/valued contributer levels. I agree, but it's not my callSmiley Happy

Since the requirments to level up are a secret, it's hard to tell exactly how far members like me have to go until they reach the higher ranks. I've been a member for ~15 months and typed alot of responses but I'm not all that high in the hierarchy Dont give up! You'll get there! I think I was on the forums for 4 years before I finally got over the threshhold, and bumped up to "Super". No one knows the exact requirements, (well fico does but we aren't privy to it), to jump to the next level. So many factors go into it...for ex..I have over 11k post, I think I should have been "mega" by now lol, but then again, there are some "super" folks who have like 20k post and arent Mega yet. If you click on your name, you can see your personal stats. Smiley Happy

Message 46 of 56
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Just to the point in general..

I don't believe it would be abused. Most of the folks here are fairly mature (most lol) and I can't see them abusing this type of thing.

I was very active on the eBay sellers forums for a good long while- every member has the ability there and I never saw it abused.

And let me tell ya, if you're looking for problem children, they has 'em. 0000whew.gif

That coupled with the fact that not very many people even understand this ability or that it even exists.

That said; It's up to the My Fico peeps to determine who will have this coveted perk (and I'm kidding) so what will be, will be.

We peasants have survived this long without it so we'll be just fine.

Right troops?  RIGHT! soldieryessir.gif

Message 47 of 56
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Shadowfactor wrote:

Saw your edit. It's hard to say. I've been a member for about 9 months and am already a senior. Maybe someone should make a data point thread about it. 😆

Not to derail from the topic at hand, but since it comes up with frequency, there's already a general discussion/sticky in SmorgasBoard that provides some guidance on community rankings that's worth checking out:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/Community-Ranks/td-p/3888548

Message 48 of 56
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

PhotoGrid_1544504086944.jpg

Message 49 of 56
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@shadowfactor

Actually, I like that it’s Super Contributor rank because I’m aspiring to get there. I love challenges.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 50 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.