Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Approval

tag
BAB_Bryan
Established Member

AMEX Approval

Guys,

I have an Experian FICO 8 of 668 (I read that is what they pull) and an Experian FICO Bankcard 8 of 670.  Do I have a chance to get a green or gold?  I was 550 and 501 on those two scores respectively in March 2018.

I appreciate the assistance.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Approval

Have you checked if you're pre approved?

Message 2 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Hi @BAB_Bryan, welcome to the myFICO forums.

What does the rest of your profile look like besides the score provided? AAoA, utilization %, any negatives?
Message 3 of 19
LakeLife
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely do this first.  No HP required as it only uses a SP.  Good luck OP.

Amex Check for Offers

Message 4 of 19
BAB_Bryan
Established Member

I have checked for Pre-App on AMEX and I do not have one.  My overall utilization is 4% and my highest single card is 7%.  I have one car loan never late, but I have two older car loans that had lates - they are both paid off.  I have 3 late payments on credit cards - the last one was Sept 2017.  I have 2 collections with LVNV from 2017.  I have tried to do PFD but they will not bite.  I have substantially cleaned my credit in the last year.  Got a discover card in Dec 2018.

Message 5 of 19
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

You can app for the cards you want without having a prequal offer. I got my 2 Amex cards without any offers.  I would caution you tho, if you were to app and get approved your purchasing ability would be small until you prove yourself

Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice increase in your scores over the past year.

Message 7 of 19
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Hi and Welcome to the myFICO community!

I would wait til your last CC late payment turns 2 yrs this September for a much better chance of approval plus your FICO would’ve been higher by then. 

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LakeLife wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely do this first.  No HP required as it only uses a SP.  Good luck OP.

Amex Check for Offers

This statement regarding no hard pull is inaccurate especially if this is your first Amex card and not guaranteed if you opt to apply for an additional Amex. Chances of a SP are greater after your first Amex card.

Message 9 of 19
Baphometsangel

@Anonymous wrote:

I just want to thank HybridGunz & @RichardJ for suggesting pre-approval options. I didn't realize this was even possible with AMEX. I was literally looking for a new travel card, as my wife and I are going on a trip to Europe and I want to take advantage of some travel points / rewards and came across this. 

So my story - I have a 650 ish credit score across all 3 CBs, my current credit utilization is about 25% (about 9k of 35k). Recently in November, I got one of those pre-approved Chase Sapphire Preferred offers in my Chase account, took a chance off the suggetions on these forums and got approved. 

Last night, figured let's try this pre-approval thing with ALL the card companies and see what's available to me. Lo and behold, AMEX Gold popped up for me on their page, I couldn't believe it. Sure enough gave it a go and got approved immediately. I know there isn't really a "spending limit" but they have a little feature on there to see if you would get approved for a large purchase - I plugged in 9k and was approved. Very cool. I just gotta say, to the OP - you never know what can happen man. I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd have a CSP and much less an AMEX Gold and to the community here, thank you for being so darned helpful. Not sure what I would do without these forums. 

In 2 years I am going for the Sapphire Reserve. Screw it, I want that puppy and will continue to clean up my credit. 

Starting Score: 600
Current Score: 657
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.