Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Score Requirement ?

tag
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

AMEX CLI Score Requirement ?

My last denial time frame window ends next week on the 13th, my Amex Charles Schwab Investor card is eligible and its been open for 7 months now. I was denied last request because of my score at the time, although im still not quite in the "Good" range yet. However they have approved me for 4 cards since May, technically beating the odds of having to need a "Good" score 670-700+. Now that my card is over the 180 days should i have a solid chance of getting a CLI approved even though my Amex score is still under 670 ?

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
kickhard88
Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI Score Requirement ?

when i first got my amex i got a 3x increase my score was 697 but my score dropped to 652 tried for a cli got denied my score went up alittle but in the same boat as you i would just wait until your score gets better thats what im going to do

Message 2 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Mdowning30 wrote:

My last denial time frame window ends next week on the 13th, my Amex Charles Schwab Investor card is eligible and its been open for 7 months now. I was denied last request because of my score at the time, although im still not quite in the "Good" range yet. However they have approved me for 4 cards since May, technically beating the odds of having to need a "Good" score 670-700+. Now that my card is over the 180 days should i have a solid chance of getting a CLI approved even though my Amex score is still under 670 ?

If you don't see your scores improving in the next few months it wouldn't hurt to try and see what AMEX says when you ask for a CLI. If it's going to be because of your EX score again at least you know where you stand and will need to impove your EX credit report before trying again otherwise it's like beating a dead horse

My small concern is that if the cards on your signature are accurate the starting limit approvals from AMEX are lower than your first AMEX card the Schwab Investor. Might be that until your scores improve you might have seen the limit of which they will extend you credit. Sure, they approved your cards but the limits have been on the low side and they might be iffy on extending more to you at this time

Message 3 of 15
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

@kickhard88 Thanks for that input, their score is behind my current Experian Fico 8 which is 668 about to hit 670 but Amex is at 653.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665

Message 4 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Mdowning30 wrote:

Another item to keep in mind, decisions can be very fluid and not static on FICO score alone. Potentially, and depending on when you try, if denied they'll provide the reason(s). They've been known to deny a CLI for reasons such as recent inquiries, new accounts, lack of use on existing account, etc. You can always try and see since it'll be a SP anyways.

Message 5 of 15
805orbust
Valued Contributor

If I'm reading correctly you say you've been approved for 4 cards with them since May?  Scores aren't the only factor and I would say you need to let all of those turn a year old at LEAST, don't apply for anything else until that time, and lower your utilization so your scores come up before you apply for the increase. 

Message 6 of 15
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Another thing to note, i currently have a 0 balance on my CS Investor card, but im carrying a balance on the Blue Business Plus because of the 0% interest period. Sounds like its best to be a little more patient, although im anxious for CLI so i can transfer part of the limit over to the BBP to take advantage of the 0% period and bring up the Hilton Surpass.

Message 7 of 15
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I also "think" that Amex increases are once every 181 days on all accounts,  not 181 days on each account, so you'll have to select which one you wish to increase every 6 months. That's what drives me crazy with them, however it's worked out swell so far.

Message 8 of 15
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

My CS Investor card is the one that is over 181 days open, therefore i would ask for the increase on that account and transfer.

Message 9 of 15
RealEstateGuy89
Frequent Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

I also "think" that Amex increases are once every 181 days on all accounts,  not 181 days on each account, so you'll have to select which one you wish to increase every 6 months. That's what drives me crazy with them, however it's worked out swell so far.

That has always gotten to me ever since I first learned how AMEX CLI's worked!  SMH.  Sometimes, it's easy for me to forget that not everybody is like Navy! 🤣

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.