Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX app question

tag
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

AMEX app question

Just curious, if i appd for an American Express card would the same pull be used if i tried for a different card? Are my chances for denial the same with a different card? I keep getting the prequalified mail about the green card but from the looks of it, it is not worth it. Maybe just to get in the door with them. 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX app question

What card from AMEX are you interested in getting? I ask because I wouldn't apply just for the sake of "getting in" with a bank I would get a card that would benefit you and see actual use.

To answer your questions yes they would use the same HP and depends on the card/product you're applying for UW criteria can be different.

Message 2 of 23
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

I will be traveling this summer so i am searching for a card that offers good rewards with traveling benefits. Amex has just always been a unicorn for me. I will be setting out on a business venture within the next year and ive heard alot of good things about their business cards so what i meant when i said getting in the door with them, it would benefit me later when i need a business card as well.

Okay, i just dont wanna risk another hard pull for a different card. I tried the prequal and did not get any luck but ive seen a few say that that never worked for them and still were approved after cold app. I also wouldnt see why the preapproved me through mail for the green card, if i wasnt eligible for anything on the prequal.

Message 3 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I cold apped and was approved. If you got a pre-approval for the green, you should be able to get any of the charge cards. What's your fico 8 scores? You can get a Delta, Hilton, and depending on profile strength, the charge cards with at least 640. The rest would need around 670+.

Message 4 of 23
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It's marketing pretty much with mailers like that. You fit the criteria for them sending offers for their Green card. Anecdotally, the charge cards (Green, Gold, Platinum) have the same underwriting criteria for all of them as long as you're willing to pay the AF for the card(s) of your choice.

If you were willing to provide information on your current credit profile we can assist you on your odds of getting an AMEX card.

Message 5 of 23
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

Sure..

AAoA 1 year 6 months

Oldest acount 6 years and 10 months 

I am in AZEO right now so my utilazation is showing 0%

I have 8 store cards

reg revolving i have CITI (not reporting yet) Cap one plat (not reporting yet) , a credit union low limit card, discover, bank of america cash rewards, dcu plat (not reporting yet)

2 student loans in deferment

No collections

One closed Neg paid Charge off  (the oldest account on profile)

1 auto loan about 32% ive paid so far

Scores EX:662, TU 708, EQ 686 All FICO

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried using their "Pre-Qualify" page?

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/?inav=menu_cards_prequal_offer

Once you have entered in your information, if you qualify for a card, you'll see "Name, you are pre-approved!" I forget what the nomenclature is when you're not approved for a card (With some searching you'll be able find that phrase in this forum). It's an easy way to check if you're approved or not without burning a hard pull.

Message 7 of 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Newbie2018 wrote:

I will be traveling this summer so i am searching for a card that offers good rewards with traveling benefits. Amex has just always been a unicorn for me. I will be setting out on a business venture within the next year and ive heard alot of good things about their business cards so what i meant when i said getting in the door with them, it would benefit me later when i need a business card as well.

Okay, i just dont wanna risk another hard pull for a different card. I tried the prequal and did not get any luck but ive seen a few say that that never worked for them and still were approved after cold app. I also wouldnt see why the preapproved me through mail for the green card, if i wasnt eligible for anything on the prequal.

There's is a possibility that what you're getting in the mail is marketing material.

If you provide us with your stats, we can give you more guidance.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

It's marketing pretty much with mailers like that. You fit the criteria for them sending offers for their Green card. Anecdotally, the charge cards (Green, Gold, Platinum) have the same underwriting criteria for all of them as long as you're willing to pay the AF for the card(s) of your choice.

If you were willing to provide information on your current credit profile we can assist you on your odds of getting an AMEX card.

OMG, my answer almost mirrors yours. Smiley Very Happy

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Newbie2018 wrote:

Sure..

AAoA 1 year 6 months

Oldest acount 6 years and 10 months 

I am in AZEO right now so my utilazation is showing 0%

I have 8 store cards

reg revolving i have CITI (not reporting yet) Cap one plat (not reporting yet) , a credit union low limit card, discover, bank of america cash rewards, dcu plat (not reporting yet)

2 student loans in deferment

No collections

One closed Neg paid Charge off  (the oldest account on profile)

1 auto loan about 32% ive paid so far

Scores EX:662, TU 708, EQ 686 All FICO

IMHO, I would hold off for about 6 months before applying for an AmX since you just received 3 new CCs, which when they start reporting, your scores will drop in addition to some points lost for the HPs.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.