Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX application after Amex charge-offs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX application after Amex charge-offs

In 2017 I had 2 of my AMEX cards get canceled. 1 ended up being charged off for ~ 14k(Simply Cash Business) because I stopped payment. The other (BCE) was roughly 2k and I continued making payments.

A few months ago I settled the SCB for $7.5k and paid off the BCE in full.

I thought I was blacklisted from AMEX but 2 days ago I decided to send in 2 applications to check anyways. I applied again for the BCE and also the Cash Magnet card. I thought for sure I was blacklisted when I didn't see the HP on my Experian but surprisingly my application was not automatically denied. It currently says it's in progress and when I called they said it is being reviewed by the back office to get a final decision. I was told I should be hearing back by 2/11.

I've also read that if you have or had open accounts with AMEX and apply for a new card they will do a SP instead of HP. Maybe that's what happened, not sure. I will update you guys once I hear back!

UPDATE 02/09: 

While still waiting to hear back from AMEX. I decided to do the pre-qualify application and got pre-qualified offers for Delta Skymiles Gold, Platinum, and Reserve. I think this definitely means I'm not blacklisted

UPDATE 02/11:

I called today since I saw the application was still in progress. Turns out there was a fraud hold. They told me they needed me to verify my identity and asked me a couple of questions. Now I'm told I will get the decision within 24 - 72 business hours. That's 3-6 business days I'm assuming.

UPDATE 02/21:

I still have not gotten a decision. The applications are still in progress. I've been told that they've escalated it to their "concern team". The last representative I spoke to says they are doing an income verification. I asked do they want me to submit W2s and pay stubs I was told "if the concern team needs additional information from you they will contact you." It has now been 16 days since the original application. At this point no one I've spoken to at AMEX is sure as to why it is taking so long.

UPDATE 02/22:

The status on the BCE application now says "canceled". I'll call in on Monday to figure out what's going on.

UPDATE 02/25:

I received a letter in the mail to fill out a 4506-T for American Express to get a copy of my tax transcript for income verification.

UPDATE 02/28:

Spoke to AMEX earlier today. They confirmed they received the completed 4506-t form. I just got a notification that AMEX did a HP on my Experian. Score is currently 740. Not sure what this means. Also looking at my Experian soft pulls it looks like AMEX has done 3 SP in the last 2 days. Once on 2/26 and twice on 2/28.

UPDATE 03/08:

Since people were asking for an update. I haven't heard back yet. The status for the other application for the Blue Cash Magnet card was also updated to canceled but I received the same letter in the mail to fill out the 4506-t form for income verification. I didn't fill it out since I had already submitted one for the BCE application. Last I spoke to AMEX a few days ago they said they received my completed 4506-t form and they were waiting on my tax transcripts from the IRS to make a decision. I'm hoping I get a decision this week.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX application after Amex charge-offs

Good luck on your application!

Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interested in how this will play out as previous data points to non desired results. Good luck op, keep us posted. 

Message 3 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Very interested in how this will play out as previous data points to non desired results. Good luck op, keep us posted. 

Yeah, I definitely did not even expect to get this far. Has any blacklisted customers make it past the 'brick wall' automatic decline?

I do have to say that my income has drastically increased so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. when I had the cards my income was about 35k now it is around 190k.

Message 4 of 37
jbestman007
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I definitely did not even expect to get this far. Has any blacklisted customers make it past the 'brick wall' automatic decline?

I do have to say that my income has drastically increased so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. when I had the cards my income was about 35k now it is around 190k.

I believe your progress is less about your income and more about the fact that you've paid AMEX what they deem you owed them. 

Message 5 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck on your application! Let us know how it goes.

Message 6 of 37
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Amex-Blacklist-Data-Points/m-p/5282955

Message 7 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck with your application!

Message 8 of 37
Openwater
Established Contributor

Good luck with the App, keep us posted. I believe that the fact that you paid off makes a diffrence in the consideration of your application. I would assume your income would play a bigger role in your SL. But I could be wrong. Cheers!

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updated Post 02/09:

While still waiting to hear back from AMEX. I decided to do the pre-qualify application and got pre-qualified offers for Delta Skymiles Gold, Platinum, and Reserve. I think this definitely means I'm not blacklisted

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.