Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX

tag
HarleyMan2014
Valued Member

AMEX

New to the forum, just wanted some input. Ive had the AMEX Optima for roughly 8 years with a paultry $500 limit, I only have a recurring donation on this card. Before this card, I had a white Amex, I forget the name, but apparently during that time they checked my credit scores, and cancelled the card, this was in excess of 10 years ago. The optima card was an offer card they sent me to build back my credit. Here we are today and I have a DISC 4.5k, Citi Costco10.5k, and a credit union Visa at 3k, then this AMEX. All the cards are paid off, the citi and Disc see the most action. I want a better AMEX card becasue the $50 yearly fee for the Optima card isnt worth it. Did the pre-approval for AMEX but no offer returned, and got the "here are some cards you might consider." Only new credit inquiries I have is a loan from LightStream, and I just refi'd my home last year.

So what should I do, my FICOs are EX689 Trans744 EQ767.

FICO 8 Jan 2022
TCL 45.6k
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX

I would just cold app. You have had your card way longer than the 1 year foot in the door it was supposed to be. I'm not totally confident your EX score is high enough for a core revolver but Delta Gold would probably be a decent bet. 

Message 2 of 27
HarleyMan2014
Valued Member

More so than the blue cash every day card? Would the Delta Gold be good for someone who only travels a couple of times a year if that?

FICO 8 Jan 2022
TCL 45.6k
Message 3 of 27
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The white card would have been Zync.

Delta Gold is a good card if you travel on Delta with bags at least twice a year (or once a year with 1 or more companions also checking bags).  The Welcome Offer can also be quite generous and the underwriting standard appears to be lower than other cards, with many many data points of sub-700 approvals.

I would suggest just applying for the card you want, though. The worst that can happen is they say no and you get a hard pull.  Is there a reason that your Experian score is substantially lower than the others?  Unfortunately, FICO Experian 08 is the score they will use. 

Message 4 of 27
HarleyMan2014
Valued Member

@K-in-Boston 
I have no idea why. I just paid off my PayPal account (Sync bank) which will take my overall credit utilization down to almost zero. All my reports show my student loans, all show my mortgage. Although, the Experian credit simulator advised of I paid off 48k in student loans, it was take my score north of 700. With the PayPal payoff, it's gonna put it at 699, based on that same simulator. Maybe I need to go over the Experian report line by line to look for discrepancies... 

**just compared my Experian to the others. They all show pretty much the same thing. I'm hoping when PayPal reports on the 18th a zero balance it'll shoot me north of 700. 

FICO 8 Jan 2022
TCL 45.6k
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disregard the simulators - they're notoriously inaccurate and do not take into account many of the factors that determine score. 

I agree with the above advice to just cold app for a card. Having no prequal doesn't mean in any way that you can't be approved. As for which card, as stated above, the cobranded cards are the best bet. If Delta Gold doesn't fit for you based on how often you fly, look at the Hilton cards. I'd venture many of us stay in a hotel more often than we fly. Hilton and Delta cards have the same underwriting. Base Hilton (no annual fee) and Hilton Surpass ($95 AF) have $1000 minimum lines. Hilton Aspire I believe is $3100 minimum (although it has a $450 annual fee) so keep that in mind.

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HarleyMan2014 wrote:

More so than the blue cash every day card? Would the Delta Gold be good for someone who only travels a couple of times a year if that?

Blue Cash isn't a good idea right now. It's a core revolver, the class of Amex card with the most stringent underwriting. Due to that, and Covid stressing the financial industry as well, you'll likely need your EX score quite a bit higher for that one.

Message 7 of 27
HarleyMan2014
Valued Member

Thanks, once the the PayPal payoff hits my credit, I'll probably go with the Delta Amex given the fact that me and the Mrs plan on flying more this year, and more often afterwards. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@HarleyMan2014 wrote:

Blue Cash isn't a good idea right now. It's a core revolver, the class of Amex card with the most stringent underwriting. Due to that, and Covid stressing the financial industry as well, you'll likely need your EX score quite a bit higher for that one.

What's crazy is my wife has the BlueCash (1k limit) card and her credit has dipped in the last few years to the high 5s, low 6s. I just remedied that by paying off all her stuff, by the middle of this year she should be in a great place. I mention that because my revolver Amex was canceled due to bad credit automatically by Amex....crazy 

FICO 8 Jan 2022
TCL 45.6k
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HarleyMan2014 I'm sorry to hear that your previous account was closed. Lenders can and will regularly soft pull your reports. If they see something they don't like, they will take adverse action (whether its a cld or account closure).

I'm not that surprised that Amex which usually requires excellent scores would be will to perform aa if they noticed a score dip.

I hope you get a nice jump in your experian score when your scores update.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 27
HarleyMan2014
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@HarleyMan2014 I'm sorry to hear that your previous account was closed. Lenders can and will regularly soft pull your reports. If they see something they don't like, they will take adverse action (whether its a cld or account closure).

I'm not that surprised that Amex which usually requires excellent scores would be will to perform aa if they noticed a score dip.

I hope you get a nice jump in your experian score when your scores update.

Good luck.

Yea. Me too, it's the only score lagging. When the other scores were making leaps and bounds, Experian was always the little engine that could lol. 

FICO 8 Jan 2022
TCL 45.6k
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.