Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express - Declined

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express - Declined

Applied for an American Express Everyday Card after Credit Karma indicated that my chances of getting approved were very good. I have been waiting to get back in with them after my 2/2011 BK that discharged $1200 on a card with them. 

I applied, and was not auto declined (suprising) it routed to a risk manager who then declined it the next day for past account closure with American Express. 
I called recon line and the lady told me I would never get another Amex account (despite what the letter said) until I paid off the old American Express Account that was discharged in Bankruptcy and she tried to transfer me to the recover department. I told her what she was trying to do was Illegal and violated several federal laws. I asked to speak to a manager and she told me he wasnt going to do anything for me until I paid Amex back. At this point I emailed in to the CEO from an email address I found online, and got a phone call within 12 hours from someone from there Executive Referral department. The lady was nice, and seemed like she wanted to help, She said the app first had to go to a risk manager for an exception override to the past loss and if they chose to make the exception then it would go to the credit team for review to see if I credit qualified. Neither were a gaurentee. I got a call today (the next day) and was told that the RM declined the override even though the loss was very small. When I asked what criteria they used to determine the decline she said it was based on the whole app. 

I called BS because my income is approching $200k, my assets are over $250k, and own my own home. The app was for a basic card with them so I finally got her to admit that it was from the prior loss. At this point I was livid, I indicated to her that it was ok for AMEX to make mistakes by willfully violating multiple federal laws and be in the news all the time for various fines the government levied for bad behavior in the past (over charging interest, selling products to customers with no benefit, ect) and yet as someone who regularly spends $100k a year on his credit cards, who made a bad decision in college that lead amex to realizing a small loss I am banned forever, I dont think so. I realized after the fact that they are declining credit applications on something that has nothing to do with credit (they didnt pull a copy of my CBR) which is again them violating fair lending act by basing credit decisions on non credit information. 

I have filed a complaint with the CFPB, BBB, OCC, FRB, NY AG, WI AG. Will post results when I hear back.

Message 1 of 74
73 REPLIES 73
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express - Declined

Why not pay them back if you want back in with them?  Only $1200 as that is a drop in the bucket on a 200k salary.  Otherwise wait it out for 15-20 years and they might let you back in.  Whether it was a BK or not, sometimes certain lenders simply want their money back as would I if I lent someone money and was never paid back.  They can't demand you to pay them back if you included them in a BK for even $50 dollars, but they certainly have the right not to offer you credit.

Message 2 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for your decline but you're wasting your time with the complaints.  American Express is entirely within its rights to deny you credit if you burned them in the past.  They don't even need that as a reason because they are under no obligation to grant you a credit card.  I also have to say that you went about your recon call completely wrong.  Pointing out what Amex has done in the past wasn't likely to encourage them to overturn their decision.

If you're interested in getting back in with them I'd suggest that the first thing you do is to make arrangements to pay off your past debt.   Amex isn't the only company that won't even pull your credit report if you're on their blacklist.  Not sure how you can say they are basing the decision on non credit facts.  Burning them in the past, even in a BK, is credit related.

Message 3 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have filed a complaint with the CFPB, BBB, OCC, FRB, NY AG, WI AG

Seriously? They denied you because you burned them. That is well within their rights.

I realized after the fact that they are declining credit applications on something that has nothing to do with credit (they didnt pull a copy of my CBR) which is again them violating fair lending act by basing credit decisions on non credit information. 

The denial was based on credit information. You burning them is credit information.

Message 4 of 74
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

200k income and you haven't paid the $1200?. I made 186k last year and paid all my old debts, best thing I've ever done. They denied me to about 2 months ago with a 730 Ex Fico 8, they are the ones extending credit, they have every right to deny you.
Message 5 of 74
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Applied for an American Express Everyday Card after Credit Karma indicated that my chances of getting approved were very good. I have been waiting to get back in with them after my 2/2011 BK that discharged $1200 on a card with them. 

That's where you went wrong....I'm sorry but CK isn't relaible LOL 

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 74
Berk
Established Contributor

If you lend me money and I burn you one time (even for a small amount) why should you ever have to lend me another dime even if I insist upon it and get my congressman to call you? It's your money - nobody can tell you who you have to lend it to no matter how hard I try to convince you otherwise.

Besides, not having an Amex in your wallet isn't the end of the world.

Message 7 of 74
thummel
Established Contributor

You burned them in BK. Doesn't matter really in there eyes that you were just a college kid or not. You didn't pay them back and now your trying to get more credit from them. Why would someone extend somebody credit if they failed in the past to pay it back. There's other lenders out there too like Chase that will blacklist someone.
Message 8 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bottom Line,,,You've been BLACKLISTED. Smiley Frustrated

I'm USAA all the way too, but I know how you Feel. Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 74
sdchrgrboy
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied, and was not auto declined (suprising) it routed to a risk manager who then declined it the next day for past account closure with American Express. 
I called recon line and the lady told me I would never get another Amex account (despite what the letter said) until I paid off the old American Express Account that was discharged in Bankruptcy and she tried to transfer me to the recover department. I told her what she was trying to do was Illegal and violated several federal laws. I asked to speak to a manager and she told me he wasnt going to do anything for me until I paid Amex back. At this point I emailed in to the CEO from an email address I found online, and got a phone call within 12 hours from someone from there Executive Referral department. The lady was nice, and seemed like she wanted to help, She said the app first had to go to a risk manager for an exception override to the past loss and if they chose to make the exception then it would go to the credit team for review to see if I credit qualified. Neither were a gaurentee. I got a call today (the next day) and was told that the RM declined the override even though the loss was very small. When I asked what criteria they used to determine the decline she said it was based on the whole app. 

I called BS because my income is approching $200k, my assets are over $250k, and own my own home. The app was for a basic card with them so I finally got her to admit that it was from the prior loss. At this point I was livid, I indicated to her that it was ok for AMEX to make mistakes by willfully violating multiple federal laws and be in the news all the time for various fines the government levied for bad behavior in the past (over charging interest, selling products to customers with no benefit, ect) and yet as someone who regularly spends $100k a year on his credit cards, who made a bad decision in college that lead amex to realizing a small loss I am banned forever, I dont think so. I realized after the fact that they are declining credit applications on something that has nothing to do with credit (they didnt pull a copy of my CBR) which is again them violating fair lending act by basing credit decisions on non credit information. 

I have filed a complaint with the CFPB, BBB, OCC, FRB, NY AG, WI AG. Will post results when I hear back.

I work in the financial servces industry and with the CFPB and i'm sorry but  they did absolutley nothing wrong. Credit decisions are not solely based on your credit report, they can use other factors which can include internal records, etc.   I also find it hard to believe that someone making close to $200k can't afford to pay off thier debt or doesn't feel they are responsible for their debt.  

$325k Total Limits, 4% Util
Message 10 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.