Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 2nd Card question...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex 2nd Card question...

Question for y'all Amex pros.
I logged into my ED card account to check my balance, and figured I'd take a look at prequels. None. Lists the usual featured cards, one being the gold card. If I click Apply it says "...you are pre-approved. Other cards it says the usual "To expand membership...." speal. Normally for revolvers if it's a set APR then it's pretty good odds.

Is the anything to look for with their charge cards?

Thanks yall.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex 2nd Card question...

The charge cards have Pay Over Time, which allows you to pay off any transactions $100 or more over time. It has a set interest rate of 20.49% for me, late penalty APR of 29.99% (industry standard, I guess). I don't know if that's the same for everyone, but I haven't seen anything different.

However the case, you want to pay these cards off in full by due date. It's just good practice if you're wanting to go towards a charge card. The benefits are there, but make sure it'll fit your lifestyle.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my experience, when AMEX says you're "pre approved" that's pretty solid.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya, it gave me the same 20.49% POT APR. Wasn't sure if that was just the "normal" or not. I could definitely put the spend into grocery and dining (family of 6). I have been wanting to add a charge card for some time now, just never got around to it.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't get pre-approvals on the Amex site. When I try for the Green I get the "Expanding your membership is easy" message.

Message 5 of 8
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't get pre-approvals on the Amex site. When I try for the Green I get the "Expanding your membership is easy" message.

They don't like me either

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the same for ALL Amex cards.

pre-approved = SP

expand = HP

If your current account was a borderline approval say from $500-$2000 then it might take some time for the SP info to appear as you get to know each other better.

Message 7 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It's the same for ALL Amex cards.

pre-approved = SP

expand = HP

If your current account was a borderline approval say from $500-$2000 then it might take some time for the SP info to appear as you get to know each other better.

Not always the case.  When I was looking for a specific AmEx a while back, it wasn't pre-approved.  The "expand" language displayed and I didn't get a HP.  So, outcomes will vary.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.