Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3X CLI question

tag
Zig32
Valued Member

Amex 3X CLI question

I just opened a new Amex Surpass Card . I was planning on asking for the 3X CLI within the next month. I just remembered Capital One gave me an auto increase in June .

Does Amex still require you to not have any increases with ANY accounts within 6 months?

if so I'd rather ask for CLI with my other accounts .

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex 3X CLI question

Congratulations on your Amex Surpass Approval. 

Others more in tune with Amex will chime in to answer your increase potential with it.

Message 2 of 14
Trooper2003
Regular Contributor

You can ask for credit line increase in after the first 61 days then it's every 6 months. Congrats 🎈🍾🎊 on your approval!!

Message 3 of 14
Sub16610
Established Contributor

Congrats on your Amex approval!

Message 4 of 14
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new card! Hope you got a big, fat SUB!

Based on your question about Amex's CLI policy, I think you have misunderstood what you've read about their rules. The accounts they consider, when determining if you have had a CLI too recently to get another, are only your Amex accounts. A CLI from Capital One, or any other issuer, has no effect at all on your eligibility for a CLI from Amex.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 14
Zig32
Valued Member

Thanks . Not sure where I read it was all accounts 

Message 6 of 14
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I think what you interpretted was all "AMEX" accounts.  If you recieved a CLI on card #1, then opened card #2, though just opened and within 61 days from opening, you would be ineligible if you had another CLI on another account within the last 6 months.

If you only have 1 account, you're good.  If you have 2 and already received a CLI on that other card, you're new card would need to wait.  You need to be would 6 months from your last CLI on any AMEX account.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

A question in the same realm..

If you request a CLI from AMEX and it is denied, when can you try again? Also, if the denial is on card A, and lets say you can request again in 31 days, can I try card B?

What are your thoughts on CLI prospects with cards with balances?  How about balances across all Amex cards, e.g. 1 card is at $0 and other is at 50% of CL.  Would the $0 card be good for CLI, or would they decline b/c of the other balance?

Message 8 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

A question in the same realm..

If you request a CLI from AMEX and it is denied, when can you try again? Also, if the denial is on card A, and lets say you can request again in 31 days, can I try card B?

What are your thoughts on CLI prospects with cards with balances?  How about balances across all Amex cards, e.g. 1 card is at $0 and other is at 50% of CL.  Would the $0 card be good for CLI, or would they decline b/c of the other balance?

It depends on the denial reasons. If the request was submitted prematurely, then it can be resubmitted again (in the event the dates were calculated incorrectly).

If denied for credit reasons (not timing), then you would need to wait 90+ days, regardless. The CLI evaluation is not per CC, it's for your entire AmEx profile.

Message 9 of 14
YungGouda
New Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Running this up the flagpole. So here's my situation:

A) Received a SP CLI on my Delta SkyMiles Gold on 09/20/2021.

B) App'd & Instantly Approved for brand-new Schwab Investor Card on 09/25/2021.

I know the earliest I can ask for another CLI on card A is 181/6   ...buuuut would I be able to try for 3X CLI with card B @ 61 days or will I forced to wait it out for the full 6 months because of recent CLI on card A? 

FICO 8s (10/11/2021)

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.