Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCP CLI Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex BCP CLI Question

Howdy all.

The original post I found that matched my Q is necro’d so this was the next best one to ask. So here I go.

In 2017/2018 (I can’t recall the exact date but was like DEC/17 or JAN/18 I applied for an Amex Blue cash card (didn’t know they used EXP at the time as that was my worst score back in 2017 of 691) but had read the auto or scheduled CLI sticky post here on Amex CLI and followed it to a T and sure enough it worked like a champ! So thanks to all here for your help and the person who drafted that Amex sticky. Most useful!!

So my starting limit was only either $1500 or $3000... I then told Siri to remind me in X amount of days to request some Amex luv and it doubled. And then I rinsed and repeated. And as said, it worked perfectly and doubled my CL. Now, I either went from 1500 to 3K or 3K to 6K? I’m thinking it was 3K b/c I only recall hitting up Amex twice (I now have 21 cards and CL range from $500 prepaid to over $21k on Discover and my Sych Marvel card and most others are $10k and somewhere in between so it’s hard for me to recall every single CLI I’ve done over the past 30 months with that many cards. Once my AAOA levels out I’ll start closing my starter cards but for now, I need the 3-4 yr age vs the <2 yrs with Amex.

So here’s my Q: I have the aforementioned Blue Card and then a Rose Gold Amex “charge card” with no preset limit but we all know it has one depending on your credit.

Before Xmas my scores were 775-795 with EXP still having s 6 yr old medical bill on it that I’ve been trying forever to get the C/A to “pay/delete” but they won’t budge. So will ride out the storm and will drop off in a few months I think. Anyway I PIF my Rose Gold this a.m. and already paid my Blue March statement the second the e-bill arrived but then saw a $600 new charge in there??? and am working thru that now. But that prompted me to open my PDF statement file on my computer (all my bills are paperless and typically just go off the email statement or open the Amex App) Anyway, it said my CL is now $12k?? (Actually it’s like $12900?)

Now I don’t recall going or asking to go from $6k to 12k (but obviously happy to have it!) but that then has me wondering if I did request that CLI? (depending if I started with 1500 or 3000?) that then puts me at either 3 requests for luv or 4? I can’t imagine risking a HP on the 4th for another CLI and think the “sticky” post was only for 3 CLI cycles. So maybe it went 3K/6K/12k? -or- 1500/3000/6000? and then Amex gave me some auto luv to 12k? That seems more viable b/c the higher you get with Amex the more financial info they want. I believe after 24,999 you gotta mail in paperwork with some special forms w/taxes etc. so I was on their iPhone App and could only go back to May 2018 for a PDF statement and much to my surprise it’s says my available credit back then was $12k??!! Okay cool. That’s what? 10 months ago soon to be 11 come March 1st.

So my Q is, depending on which CLI cycle request I’m on either 3 or 4 right? Do I dare push my luck and go again? If it “doubles” it’ll keep me below the dreaded $25k mark and paperwork - but based on other posts I’ve read. This next “step” isn’t always double. It sounds like it’s a negotiation where I’d ask for $20k and they’d counter with say $16k? Is this correct thinking? Am I due for a hard pull? (No hard pulls ever on any of the other Amex CLI’s)

Also my Util has crept up from 4% to over the magic 8.99% to around 12% but paying that down now. But can’t get my Experian credit score to budge. It’s just a flatline same score month after month after month. Even when my TU was as high as 795 and had 3% util on about $85k back then, EXP was lagging a good 65 pts behind. I’ve not pulled it recently but with my util going up it certainly didn’t go up any I’m sure. So am curious what I should do here? Oddly I don’t recall ever getting an email either on the $12k line increase?? (I was doing handstands on here (Forum) when my Discover gave me $21k from $11500 so I think I’d remember that and post about that hike?? Hence me thinking it’s gotta be an auto luv. But that’s 11 months ago. What would you all do?

Thanks in advance!!

BB 😎

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Re: Amex BCP CLI Question

Not too sure about CLI’s, as I’ve never gotten one, but I believe the generally consensus is that the threshold for Amex asking for an IV is $35000, not $25000.

[2/2019]
Message 2 of 17
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@jdbkiang wrote:

Not too sure about CLI’s, as I’ve never gotten one, but I believe the generally consensus is that the threshold for Amex asking for a FR is $35000, not $25000.

I think you mean income verification (IV), which is different from FR. 

As for a threshold, I think it depends on unnamed characteristics for each cardholder. It used to be that a it was a particular #, but actually, there are a few folks on here that have had CLI past the $35k threshold without IV. Personally, IV was required for me at about $30k. 

Message 3 of 17
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@iheartwings wrote:

@jdbkiang wrote:

Not too sure about CLI’s, as I’ve never gotten one, but I believe the generally consensus is that the threshold for Amex asking for a FR is $35000, not $25000.

I think you mean income verification (IV), which is different from FR. 

As for a threshold, I think it depends on unnamed characteristics for each cardholder. It used to be that a it was a particular #, but actually, there are a few folks on here that have had CLI past the $35k threshold without IV. Personally, IV was required for me at about $30k. 

Oh, right! Let me correct my post--thanks!

[2/2019]
Message 4 of 17
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Just to add, income verification is optional. It can come along when one requests a CLI. If you don't want to provide IV, you can hit your browser's back button and try a lower amount. You can ignore any paperwork that might arrive in the mail. Some have hit the back buttron so many times that the IV mailings come bundled together.

Financial review comes from bizarre charging situations, such as buying eighty $100 Target gift cards on a NPSL (no preset limit) charge card. Financial review isn't optional, and it's an onerous process. CLI requests will not cause FR.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uhm. Okay. I guess the data I read 2-3 years ago may be out of date now, but was under the impression it was $25K that set off the request for a Financial Review (which is why as people played the “double or triple CLI game” they warned not to go past or request more than $25K if you have troubles proving income etc. by being self employed or recieving handwritten payroll checks vs say an ADP printed check.

That said, you all kinda drifted away from my core question- but just the same gave kudos to you both for the additional info b/c be it “IV” or “FR” - I didn’t know everything about that either (in detail) So now that we’ve clarified those terms, I’ve read some horror stories about the Financial Review process and if you don’t make the grade - you could lose everything you’ve worked so hard to get up to this point (in my case, an odd amount = $12,900 CL) and as already mentioned, am unsure if I’ve done that thru 2 CLI and then was given an Auto CLI as a 3rd? (no idea how freely Amex pass around $6K increases?) and/or if I did go from 3k/6k/12k (though still think it was $1500SL) but let’s say I’ve spaced out and done 3 requests over the time outlined earlier... I’m at 11+ months (or more as I can’t see any statements prior to May 2018) so am unsure when it went to $12K .... for those that have gone in for a 4th dip of CLI luv - is that again an automatic double? Or are we entering IV/FR territory and a negotiated amount (offer / counteroffer?) - Also I’m leary of them using my EXP. I would feel much better if it were TU or EQUIFAX. But I’ve gotten this far on a lower 700’s score with 1 baddy and 3 HP’s - So I suppose it’s worth a try?

Lastly - is a 4th request an automatic HP? My previous 2-3 CLI’s were all soft. So want to avoid that as well.

Hey, at least it’s not Barclays - They HP all 3 of mine - ouch. Still trying to get 2 removed as “duplicates” but they won’t budge. Thankfully those pulls will drop off in June.

Anyway, what would you all do next? Just leave it? My Util could use the $12K boost, but not if it’s gonna set financial alarm bells off everywhere and count as a HP? I have a 3 year exceptional history with Amex so not overly concerned- like I said, what’s holding me back is my AAoA as I’ve been living overseas for too long and everything dropped off my US credit file.

Thanks again

BB
Message 6 of 17
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Uhm. Okay. I guess the data I read 2-3 years ago may be out of date now, but was under the impression it was $25K that set off the request for a Financial Review (which is why as people played the “double or triple CLI game” they warned not to go past or request more than $25K if you have troubles proving income etc. by being self employed or recieving handwritten payroll checks vs say an ADP printed check.

That said, you all kinda drifted away from my core question- but just the same gave kudos to you both for the additional info b/c be it “IV” or “FR” - I didn’t know everything about that either (in detail) So now that we’ve clarified those terms, I’ve read some horror stories about the Financial Review process and if you don’t make the grade - you could lose everything you’ve worked so hard to get up to this point (in my case, an odd amount = $12,900 CL) and as already mentioned, am unsure if I’ve done that thru 2 CLI and then was given an Auto CLI as a 3rd? (no idea how freely Amex pass around $6K increases?) and/or if I did go from 3k/6k/12k (though still think it was $1500SL) but let’s say I’ve spaced out and done 3 requests over the time outlined earlier... I’m at 11+ months (or more as I can’t see any statements prior to May 2018) so am unsure when it went to $12K .... for those that have gone in for a 4th dip of CLI luv - is that again an automatic double? Or are we entering IV/FR territory and a negotiated amount (offer / counteroffer?) - Also I’m leary of them using my EXP. I would feel much better if it were TU or EQUIFAX. But I’ve gotten this far on a lower 700’s score with 1 baddy and 3 HP’s - So I suppose it’s worth a try?

Lastly - is a 4th request an automatic HP? My previous 2-3 CLI’s were all soft. So want to avoid that as well.

Hey, at least it’s not Barclays - They HP all 3 of mine - ouch. Still trying to get 2 removed as “duplicates” but they won’t budge. Thankfully those pulls will drop off in June.

Anyway, what would you all do next? Just leave it? My Util could use the $12K boost, but not if it’s gonna set financial alarm bells off everywhere and count as a HP? I have a 3 year exceptional history with Amex so not overly concerned- like I said, what’s holding me back is my AAoA as I’ve been living overseas for too long and everything dropped off my US credit file.

Thanks again

BB

1. Never had any auto CLI's, so, I guess, take my experience with a grain of salt. That being said, I have requested CLI's according to the 3x CLI megathread and they have always been SP's. 

2. Pretty sure that most recent data suggests 35K as the general threshold, though YMMV, especially dependent on income/amex history, etc. Never heard of reasonable CLI requests triggering an FR. An IV, on the other hand, is not really an issue, as they can be easily ignored.

3. According to the megathread, Amex only allows one CLI every 6 months, so if you haven't had one in the last 6 months, feel free to request one. If they ask for income verification, simply hit "back" on your browser and ask for less until you get to a point where they aren't requiring that from you. There's also a possibility they provide a counter-offer. That being said, asking for a 4th CLI shouldn't be an issue.

4. You did mention paying down to under 8.9% though, so it may be beneficial to wait for that to report before requesting. 

[2/2019]
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I’m going to dig thru my inbox and see if there’s any “Congrats” type emails from Amex to see if I can determine when the last CLI happened (you say the “mega thread” is every 6 months?) Well, I’m at least now at 11 months as it shows $12k in May/2018 so that’s good to know. Once I figure out when that last CLI was, and if it was auto or requested then I think I can determine if this my 3rd or 4th trip to the CLI well. TBD.

The other poster said a CLI won’t trigger a FR. I’ve read otherwise....But you both say it may possibly trigger a request for an IV and saw your “hit back button” trick before, so will keep that in mind as well. Thanks. That also tells me I’m manually entering an amount of the increase desired. I’d forgotten this (some cards are just a free for all - you just make request a CLI and see what they give you without any input offered) CapOne are notorious for this. I started at $2k with them on a QS card and begged for 2 yrs for a CLI (via phone) and finally after 24 months got an auto increase...... for..... a whopping $500. Grrrrr! The irony is I used their auto loan program last year, and got prequalified for a $65K auto loan at 3.99%??? But know FICO-Auto pulls are less stringent. But still? $500 vs $65K? 😂 I dunno. This stuff drives me nuts sometimes.

So-Yes I think I’ll wait for my Util to drop before trying for another CLI w/Amex. Wise suggestion.

Thanks for your time and help.

Caio

BB
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

PS: I don’t know how to attach images here. But after digging thru 1000’s of emails, I found 2 “Good News - We've Increased Your Credit Limit”. One was in DEC 2017 to $6K. And the next in April to $12k (statement says $12,900? So not sure why the disparity?)

I read the letters twice and are identical except the dollar amounts but reads as if it’s an auto increase?? Or the title of the email does? Could be their letter to me after requesting a CLI, but honestly don’t recall asking for $12K.

So, come March it’ll have been a year since the last increase. And since there are no other emails (just those 2) then that means I think I’m good for a 3rd auto CLI request (actually I requested the first one and got that same email so maybe they send the same email out for both types? Requested CLI and auto?) I dunno. It does go on and on about my excellent history with them and why they did it. So that also leads me to believe it’s an auto increase for the 2nd one. Also means I started at $3k then to $6k then to $12k. (So 2 CLI’s total) - I’ll assume I’ll be asked “what I want” this round? Though the mega post is for 3 trips to the well, no? I need to find that post and read it again. And if it’s $12,900 x 2 that then is over $25k so I know you all said $35k but think the mega post says $25k and the paperwork request start flying. So I’ll ask for either $6K-$8k once my Util comes down some. I dunno. Gotta find out that IV stuff for certain. Also think a year is better than 11 ½ months of a perfect payment history on 2 cards.

Cheers

BB
Message 9 of 17
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

The 3x doesn't refer to getting 3 CLI's. It refers to tripling your current credit limit. I don't think I've seen amex have a limit as far as how many times you can request CLI's. The amount seems to be more of the limiting factor. Again, if they ask for income verification, simply ignore it, go back and resubmit a lower amount. 

Just remember their CLI decision is usually based on the report they SP'ed from you, so it's usually a month delayed. 

[2/2019]
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.