Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI Approval Odd?

tag
Reeflex
Established Member

Amex CLI Approval Odd?

Hey all, so I've been reading around and just wanted to get a second opinion on my situation. I have 3 Amex cards the

• Regular Cash Back with a 15k limit

• Blue Cashback Preffered with a 2k limit

• Delta Skymile with a 2k limit

Last year 2 months after opening the Regular cash back I asked for an increase and got to 15k then after the 180 days I tried again in 10/3/19 and got denied. It's already been more than 90 days since my last CLI increase. I'm holding a 7.5k balance on the 15k card and 0 on the other 2. My question is what are the odds of me getting  approved for a CLI or should I just hold off till I pay off that balance? That balance was added this month since we took a family vacay and should be paid in full within the next couple of months. 

6 REPLIES 6
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex CLI Approval Odd?

@Reeflex wrote:

Hey all, so I've been reading around and just wanted to get a second opinion on my situation. I have 3 Amex cards the

• Regular Cash Back with a 15k limit

• Blue Cashback Preffered with a 2k limit

• Delta Skymile with a 2k limit

Last year 2 months after opening the Regular cash back I asked for an increase and got to 15k then after the 180 days I tried again in 10/3/19 and got denied. It's already been more than 90 days since my last CLI increase. I'm holding a 7.5k balance on the 15k card and 0 on the other 2. My question is what are the odds of me getting  approved for a CLI or should I just hold off till I pay off that balance? That balance was added this month since we took a family vacay and should be paid in full within the next couple of months. 

I suggest paying down your balance some prior to requesting an increase.  Either way, it's normally a soft pull, so no impact to your credit score.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember, in addition to the above advice, Amex grants a CLI 181 days after a CLI on any card, and the 91 day period is if your CLI is denied for credit-related reasons (low score etc). 

Message 3 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I suggest waiting until it's paid in full. 50% UT on an AmX card is high. What does the rest of your credit profile look like?  Hopefully, you're not carrying balances on other cards. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 7
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

You probably have better chances of increasing your exposure to Amex through a new account as opposed to a CLI.  Perfectly understandable as to why you would not want to go that route.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 5 of 7
Reeflex
Established Member

Luckily this is my only card with a balance I have 7 other ones at 0. So my util isn't out of this world just high for this month and prob next till I lower it. 

Message 6 of 7
Reeflex
Established Member

The thing is I currently have the 2 other CC, I'm actually looking to wait the 13 months for the Preffered cars to transfer the CL and cancel it since I don't really want to pay the AF if I'm not using the card at its max potential. I was thinking of getting another CC but I already have a bunch all throughout. Probably smarter to get a personal loan or something along those lines for my CS

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.