Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold - Do I need to unfreeze?

tag
j615
Regular Contributor

Amex Gold - Do I need to unfreeze?

Thinking of apping for Amex Gold. I have an existing Amex revolver for many years. Do you think it’s necessary to thaw out EX?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold - Do I need to unfreeze?

It should be a SP, but, it might not hurt just in case.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 2 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

OP, my advice is if you really want a card then unlock your report and don't waste much time applying without doing.  Some lenders like Amex may not pull your report and you can slide by with a SP/lock report...but if you happen to be the one-off that they actually want to pull then the entire process was a waste of time.  

Inquiries don't carry as much weight as some make them out to so if you really want a product, unlock and apply. 

Message 3 of 11
j615
Regular Contributor

@Loquat I’ll probably follow as advised. I guess I just wanted to cheap out and avoid paying a fee to lift my report if enough people said it wasn’t necessary. I’m okay with the HP.
Message 4 of 11
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@j615 wrote:
@Loquat I’ll probably follow as advised. I guess I just wanted to cheap out and avoid paying a fee to lift my report if enough people said it wasn’t necessary. I’m okay with the HP.

Are you paying to freeze your reports?

It's my understanding there are free methods to do that..

@OldMan87  HELP...  Hey my @ thing is broken.. LOL Not really, I don't have the notice feature drat!!

Anyway, hopefully notsoOldMan or somebody that knows about those services will post them.. 

Message 5 of 11
j615
Regular Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu Yes! I voluntarily froze the big 3 directly with each bureau’s site. If I recall, EQ was free because of the breach.

Please tell me more about having this done free without reporting that I’ve had ID theft/fraud if you happen to have info.
Message 6 of 11
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@j615 wrote:
@Pikaboo-icu Yes! I voluntarily froze the big 3 directly with each bureau’s site. If I recall, EQ was free because of the breach.

Please tell me more about having this done free without reporting that I’ve had ID theft/fraud if you happen to have info.

Let me PM Oldman..

I think he knows... He may not be on tonight but he checks in almost daily..

CHEERS

Message 7 of 11
Nayola
Contributor

I thought that all the bureas offer free freezes/unfreezes nowadays.  As a matter of fact, I just looked it up and as of Sept 21, 2018, all three DO offer free thaws/refreezes!

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/choosing-credit-freeze-lock-alert/

Message 8 of 11
j615
Regular Contributor

@Nayola Wow. I wasn’t aware of the change. Thanks so much.

This pretty much settles it. I’ll definitely lift the freeze before applying.
Message 9 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

When I applied for the Magnate last month, my application went to review so I figured it was because my report was frozen. I took the freeze off and within a few hours it was approved. It is free with all CBs and what’s nice is it gives you choices: unfreeze instantly, unfreeze for a specific date range, or for a specific lender.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.