Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold- Goal Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Gold- Goal Card

I've checked the prequal page more than a few times since I was denied. It's still not pulling up a single card for me, though I shouldn't be expecting it to this soon. I've been crawling through a bunch of old threads on Amex and found a few interesting things. The former tidbit about them not giving preferential treatment to AUs and another that has left me quite concerned. Apparently Amex factors in how often you use their prequal page for their internal scoring, and frequent use is a negative factor. If that's true, I've done more damage in the past couple days than I care to know.

I'm thinking I'll need to check a maximum of once every 6 months, but who knows. Do I have to use their manual online prequal, or could I sign up somewhere to be notified when I do have an offer?
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would maybe check monthly on it after your EXP updates but don’t let it consume you. The Gold Card isn’t going away and the current SUB offer has been the same since the rerelease.

Frequent use of the prequal page isn’t gonna hurt your chances IMO. Just take it slow an easy. I’m the same way with Chase, I go to my local branch with a boom box playing, “Baby come back!” To see if I will get a prequal. But I have learned just to wait on it. Credit takes time. You are on the right track to get in soon. Just flex the almighty Duck!
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

The current SUB is nice, but I'm more concerned with just getting the card. What would really sting would be if a better one came and went in the mean time. I'm pretty sure I saw something about a 50k SUB for the gold card from not to long ago, but it seems to be gone atm.

I'm really excited about using the Duck card, but I'll probably be giving it light use once my Disco secured gets in. My current plan is to use Disco almost exclusively till it graduates. I'm hoping that between extensive use and adding to my deposit I could graduate and get a CLI that puts me close to a 10k limit. After that the Duck will be my dedicated gas card.
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The current SUB is nice, but I'm more concerned with just getting the card. What would really sting would be if a better one came and went in the mean time. I'm pretty sure I saw something about a 50k SUB for the gold card from not to long ago, but it seems to be gone atm.

I'm really excited about using the Duck card, but I'll probably be giving it light use once my Disco secured gets in. My current plan is to use Disco almost exclusively till it graduates. I'm hoping that between extensive use and adding to my deposit I could graduate and get a CLI that puts me close to a 10k limit. After that the Duck will be my dedicated gas card.

The 50k SUB for the Gold card is always there via incognito mode. You don't have to worry about it going away. Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 29
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've checked the prequal page more than a few times since I was denied. It's still not pulling up a single card for me, though I shouldn't be expecting it to this soon. I've been crawling through a bunch of old threads on Amex and found a few interesting things. The former tidbit about them not giving preferential treatment to AUs and another that has left me quite concerned. Apparently Amex factors in how often you use their prequal page for their internal scoring, and frequent use is a negative factor. If that's true, I've done more damage in the past couple days than I care to know.

I'm thinking I'll need to check a maximum of once every 6 months, but who knows. Do I have to use their manual online prequal, or could I sign up somewhere to be notified when I do have an offer?

Thats a bingo. 

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats a bingo. 

RIP the dream.

Looks like I'll have to wait things off for quite some time. Do we know how far back they check usage? I'm guessing worst case scenario they treat it the same as inquiries on your report with similar timeframes to age off.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you point me to the source of the highlighted assertion?  I sincerely doubt that its even true; the most Amex might do is track your interest and market specific credit products to you.

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The reason you're not seeing any prequalifications is because your recent application was denied.  As I've explained several times in these forums, Amex operates a dynamic website which means they are constantly making determinations about which of their cards you qualify for.  Once you apply and are denied, you are blocked/restricted from applying for that card again for either 30 or 90 days.  30 days if you were denied for a non-credit related reason, or 90 days for a credit-related reason.

It would be helpful if you showed the exact language and reason codes in the adverse action letter (personal details removed of course).  You can find the adverse action letter by filling in the information at https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do Its the same notice you'll eventually receive in the mail.

Message 18 of 29
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you point me to the source of the highlighted assertion?  I sincerely doubt that its even true; the most Amex might do is track your interest and market specific credit products to you.

A senior shift supervisor told me. She was a classmate of my niece

Why would you possibly doubt it??????   Its a markting tool and also a fraud/loss tool. 

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The reason you're not seeing any prequalifications is because your recent application was denied.  As I've explained several times in these forums, Amex operates a dynamic website which means they are constantly making determinations about which of their cards you qualify for.  Once you apply and are denied, you are blocked/restricted from applying for that card again for either 30 or 90 days.  30 days if you were denied for a non-credit related reason, or 90 days for a credit-related reason.

It would be helpful if you showed the exact language and reason codes in the adverse action letter (personal details removed of course).  You can find the adverse action letter by filling in the information at https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do Its the same notice you'll eventually receive in the mail.

Here's a screenshot of the letter.  I'm on mobile, so I apologize if the formatting comes out wonky.

Screenshot_20190816-214408_Chrome.jpg

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.