Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Pre-qualify

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Gold Pre-qualify

@Anonymous wrote:

APR doesnt really bother me. I would pay in full each month. Amex pre-qualify tool doesn't give me a specific APR, only a range.

@GApeachy wrote:

Does it matter or not if the apr is one or a range?  What was the apr OP?

That's my point.  I was told that a range doesn't mean diddle, needs to be a solid apr....I know when I had a range I was denied.  Just wandering about ranges for charge cards though.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 11 of 52
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Apply with the bonus. 

However, when you say your balance is zero, did it report zero on your credit report? With only one credit card and the reason of previous denial, this is critical IMO. Pull your 3 score report on creditchecktotal.com for $1 then cancel within 7 days. 

Message 12 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it reported as 0 balance now. I registered experian and checked my score and credit report. Last time when I applied, my score was 659. There were two main reasons I was denied: High credit utilization, high balance. So, based on my situation, should I keep applying using pre qualify page or not?

Message 13 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it reported as 0 balance now. I registered experian and checked my score and credit report. Last time when I applied, my score was 659. There were two main reasons I was denied: High credit utilization, high balance. So, based on my situation, should I keep applying using pre qualify page or not?

@randomguy1 wrote:

Apply with the bonus. 

However, when you say your balance is zero, did it report zero on your credit report? With only one credit card and the reason of previous denial, this is critical IMO. Pull your 3 score report on creditchecktotal.com for $1 then cancel within 7 days. 

Message 14 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

APR doesnt really bother me. I would pay in full each month. Amex pre-qualify tool doesn't give me a specific APR, only a range.

@GApeachy wrote:

That's my point.  I was told that a range doesn't mean diddle, needs to be a solid apr....I know when I had a range I was denied.  Just wandering about ranges for charge cards though.

The Gold is a Charge Card, so it won't come with APR anything. Unless you're granted the Pay Over Time feature, you must pay your entire balance in full at statement cut. All that said, the Gold has a 250 AF, so you need you figure that in before you make a leap. Are there features on this card that will offset the AF? If not, this is not the card for you. Also, you can try apping for a no-fee revolver and if you get approved for that, then you can immediately app for the Gold, only garnering one HP for both cards. Again that 250 AF is a big pill to swallow. MR points or not.

Message 15 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently I got prequalified for Amex Gold, Gold Delta and Delta Reserve. I think I'm pretty sure Amex Gold is suitable for me now though I really want Amex Plat at first. Since I'm pretty new to credit card, I don't think I will get approved for plat If I applied it first. The only problem bothered me is whether should I apply using 35000 page or 50000 page. I'm a little bit afraid that if I don't apply using pre-qualify page, I will get declined. I don'r really want to get a denial twice for one card. BTW, my current Fico 8 score is 742

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

The Gold is a Charge Card, so it won't come with APR anything. Unless you're granted the Pay Over Time feature, you must pay your entire balance in full at statement cut. All that said, the Gold has a 250 AF, so you need you figure that in before you make a leap. Are there features on this card that will offset the AF? If not, this is not the card for you. Also, you can try apping for a no-fee revolver and if you get approved for that, then you can immediately app for the Gold, only garnering one HP for both cards. Again that 250 AF is a big pill to swallow. MR points or not.

Message 16 of 52
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

go for the 50K if you're going to do it since you can only claim it 1 time ever. OP is wondering if chances are less doing it this way versus the "pre-qual"...what's your take?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 17 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

go for the 50K if you're going to do it since you can only claim it 1 time ever. OP is wondering if chances are less doing it this way versus the "pre-qual"...what's your take?

Either avenue could be either decision.  If you're going to spend 2K to hit the bonus it should be worth more if you can only do it once in a lifetime.  Generally if you're pre-qualed for several of either types of accounts then you're golden for any of their cards.  

Message 18 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Currently I got prequalified for Amex Gold, Gold Delta and Delta Reserve. I think I'm pretty sure Amex Gold is suitable for me now though I really want Amex Plat at first. Since I'm pretty new to credit card, I don't think I will get approved for plat If I applied it first. The only problem bothered me is whether should I apply using 35000 page or 50000 page. I'm a little bit afraid that if I don't apply using pre-qualify page, I will get declined. I don'r really want to get a denial twice for one card. BTW, my current Fico 8 score is 742

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

There are others on here talking about the differences in sign-up bonuses. First, it doesn't matter whet the pre-qual site says, you can get pre-qual and still be denied upon submittal of your application. So, there's that. Before, I think, jumping into the water with a charge card, you should start with a revolver. 

In my case, I started with the EveryDay card, then a couple months later, they offered the Platinum to me and upon accepting the offer, they actually gave it to me! I was shocked that they would give me, "Mr. Thin File" an actual Platinum Card!! I hear of people getting a revolver all the time and later reporting that AMEX is hawking their Platinum to them. That's a $550 AF, when I had it, it was 450. I cancelled right before the new AF hit, because I had all I needed with what would become the Gold, the Premier Rewards Gold, and didn't need the Platinum anymore.

Recap: If you're going to app for the Platinum first, regardless, go for the 50k MR bonus offer, generally found using the incognito page. Again, pre-qual means nothing, especially with AMEX.

Lastly, a 742 score means nothing with a 1 yr old card and nothing else. Not trying to be rude, just up front.

Message 19 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

ummm the plat is actually much easier to get approved for than the gold! and if you prequalified for one chargecard, it means you prequalified for all the chargecards. just get whichever one you want.

Message 20 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.