Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Pre-approval questions

tag
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

Amex Pre-approval questions

If you have an Amex Platinum card already how do you check for new pre-approvals? I went on the site to check and it caused me to log in and a few cards show up under recommended cards. Pretty much everything is listed but doesn't actually say "pre-approved". I had NPSL on my Platinum but I got to 3k and then things started getting denied. I called in and they told me my internal limit was indeed 3k. Its been 1 month since having the card and ive got a $0 balance and already pushed though 6k in spending but pay off once a week. I called a few mins ago and they let me know my internal limit is now 18k so I'm very pleased.

How do I check for actual approvals without having to physically apply?

Credit conscience!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Pre-approval questions

The only way to know for sure is to actully apply

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 5
ccquest
Established Contributor

Only hint without actually submitting, it by opening the apply page for each one you want. If it says you're pre-approved, that's good odds. If it says expanding your membership is easy, not good odds.

Neither is guaranteed though.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 3 of 5
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Somewhat off topic (apologies op), I've always heard it said around here that the charge and cobranded cards were the easiest to qualify for. I did the pre approval recently and I qualify  for all the charge cards and all of the cobranded cards. No revolvers. So I guess there's some truth to that. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 4 of 5
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@BmoreBull wrote:

Somewhat off topic (apologies op), I've always heard it said around here that the charge and cobranded cards were the easiest to qualify for. I did the pre approval recently and I qualify  for all the charge cards and all of the cobranded cards. No revolvers. So I guess there's some truth to that. 

Definitely truth. When I started with them a year ago when my scores were right on the cusp of even being able to get a card, I used to login and click each card to check for preapprovals quite frequently. It would always come in 3 groups: the co-braded ones first, then the charge cards, finally core cards last. If I was preapproved for 1 cobrand card, it was the same for all of them, same with the other categories. If I was preapproved for a charge card, they were all good to go, along with the co-branded cards, but not the core cards. When I was preapproved for a core card, they were all good to go across the whole board. It fluctuated back and forth quite a bit until my scores improved and I built more history with them. @michaels88369 when you're logged in and click "apply now" on any of the cards it will use a combination of your most recent internal SP from EX, and your history with AMEX to determine if they want to dish out another card. @ccquest stated which verbaige is which for that process. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.