Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Prequalify Changed?

tag
headsup7up
Valued Member

Amex Prequalify Changed?

My Exp score has been (painfully & slowly) increasing after paying down and paying off some credit cards. I went from having the Delta skymiles offer of "up to $2000" to this screen today. I don't see an "up to" amount like I did before. Is that better than seeing a tentative limit? I am looking for balance transfer so I'm waiting until I don't think I'll have a low starting limit before I pull the trigger. My exp is 678 (I'm expecting it to go higher once my usage shows below 30% in the next few days). My aaoa is 4y9mo and I have 6 inquiries in the last year. I have 4 negaccounts but all have 0 balance from back in 2015. I definitely plan to wait to hit that 20 something % usage. Just wondering if it is a good Amex sign to have this screen. Thanks!

amex offer.PNG

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Prequalify Changed?

Seeing the up to xxxxx would be indicative of your ceiling of what they would approve you for.  Removing that verbiage would mean they'll assess you based on the info in your application up to a % of your income instead of capping it based on scores.  I think they're subtly giving you the green light to apply.  Also, if the card you're looking for isn't listed they're basically all available for approval.

Message 2 of 9
headsup7up
Valued Member

Thanks! That is what I was hoping too. Now to work on my patience while silently chanting "update update update" to my credit card companies. I don't think they have ever taken this long to update balances Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only when you're watching them

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think if you click the apply button it will tell you if you’re preapproved. Not sure if that’s only if you have an amex card already, though.
Message 5 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

More data points here. This was something that has popped up recently.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Amex-Pre-Quals/td-p/5592633

Message 6 of 9
headsup7up
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:
I think if you click the apply button it will tell you if you’re preapproved. Not sure if that’s only if you have an amex card already, though.

I have a USAA Amex, but not one directly through Amex. 

Message 7 of 9
headsup7up
Valued Member

@simplynoir wrote:

More data points here. This was something that has popped up recently.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Amex-Pre-Quals/td-p/5592633

Thank you! Great read. I am glad to see I am not the only one who was seeing a limit amount. Good info. 

Message 8 of 9
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

I get about 5 emails a day from that thread lol. The time has come though only 4-5 more days till i pull the trigger on BCP. 2nd credit card lets gooo come on calender
Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.