Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex declined help please

tag
Blessed221
Regular Contributor

Amex declined help please

Amex decline my app the reason was bankruptcy which is chat 7 dismissed 3/2011 my credit score is 668 Experian what can I do to get it over turned or is that an option
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex declined help please

try calling them

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 10
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

AMEX isn't really in the practice of overturning their decisions. Recons with AMEX are only successful if there was something inaccurate with your report the first go round. I would just work on your score and let some time pass since the BK.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat you are..  I had to file a Chapter 13 on 9/09 and it was discharged on 11/13 and will falloff 9/2016. I applied for the Gold Skyline and Blue Everyday and was declined and the reason was bankruptcy. I called them 3 times and they aren't budging..  I have been reading and it sounds like you will need to wait until the bankruptcy does now show on your CR before they will arrrove you.. So I'm waiting until 9/2016 which will give me 2 years to pay everything ontime and build credit while I wait...

Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

magic number is usually 7+ years out of BK and if amex was included in your bk 10 years minimum and maybe forever if you don't pay them.

Message 5 of 10
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

It's no secret that Amex is not BK friendly. BK within the last 8 years has little to no hope of overturning the decline

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 6 of 10
Blessed221
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for your responsesSmiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in the same boat you are..  I had to file a Chapter 13 on 9/09 and it was discharged on 11/13 and will falloff 9/2016. I applied for the Gold Skyline and Blue Everyday and was declined and the reason was bankruptcy. I called them 3 times and they aren't budging..  I have been reading and it sounds like you will need to wait until the bankruptcy does now show on your CR before they will arrrove you.. So I'm waiting until 9/2016 which will give me 2 years to pay everything ontime and build credit while I wait...

Very good plan. While I don't have a bankruptcy, not all reports are clean yet.  And, I just started secured installment loan to help build scores, so three new TL's in the past two months (including Amex). While I would love to jump on a sallie Mae, discover, etc, I know those reports still need some clean up (hopefully all gone by end of Jan).   Gardening has it's purpose. The double whammy of aging credit while cleaning up just makes those other desirables (or tnbt credit card) more easily attainable when done.

Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 10
Berk
Established Contributor

Just remember this - Amex is not the end all/be all of credit cards. Plenty of wonderful products out there to take advantage of.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@espnjunkie wrote:

It's no secret that Amex is not BK friendly. BK within the last 8 years has little to no hope of overturning the decline

Also I suspect the score had a little something to do with it. < 670 EX FICO (typically) need not apply.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.