cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone recently request cli from Cap1 before completing their steps plan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone recently request cli from Cap1 before completing their steps plan?

IMO and IME, CapOne is good for what you’re doing with it - use it to boost your scores to a point that you can qualify for better cards. If you get in with a bucketed card as most do, it will languish indefinitely with no or next to no growth. With improved scores you could re-app for another card and likely get better limits, but you could instead app for Discover or AmEx, potentially get limits that are better still, and get MUCH better rewards than CapOne’s crappy 1.5% cash back, and all for a single HP vs the triple pull they insist on doing.

Their business model seems firmly rooted in the subprime market. Yeah the Savor offers a good percentage return on food but so does an AmEx Gold which also gives a lot more benefits as well.

Use them until you can get a better lender, then stick it in the sock drawer and let it rot, except for a couple $1 BS purchases a year to keep it open just because.

Lol EDIT - I didn’t realize you were mid-700s already. You have zero need for CapOne. I’d scrap it unless it has good age, and regardless I wouldn’t use it any more than needed to keep the account open.
Message 11 of 30
GApeachy
Super Contributor

UPDATE to the UPDATE

I just called and talked to the coolest guy....So my platinum is now a Quicksilver...not the quicksilver one.  He said it's the Quicksilver.  So I just took a baby step....yaySmiley Very Happy  It's my first upgrade.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s a positive step. I did that with mine as well and then requested a CLI from my $300 SL. They gave me $100 at that time and then the remaining $100 to bring me to $500 total when the steps ended.

It’s been just a hair under 6 months since I got that last increase, and 6 months is the required timeframe between CLIs with CapOne. My window opens on the 23rd of this month, so in 12 days I’ll try again and see if they’ll throw me a bone. Not holding my breath...
Message 13 of 30
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

I had the card since December.

Hit the luv button first week of January and was denied.

Tried two weeks later and they gave me 100$ CLI.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're strange with CLI... I work with someone who has the platinum and went from $300 to 3400 CL after credit steps. This was appx 2 months ago. Everyone is different.
If you still don't have any luck with CLI you could always do their Venture or savor.. they're usually big CL ones.
Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being that CapOne has sunk its flag in the turf of subprime lending (despite the “upper” cards like the Savor), it wouldn’t surprise me if bigger limits and better growth happen for people who don’t have higher-tier cards. I’m 11 days from my CLI window opening, and my almighty PC-Plat-turned-QS sits at an intimidating $500. If, and that’s probably a big if, I get a CLI next week, it’ll probably be $100 or so. Why? Because (in addition to my card being bucketed due to the scores I had when I opened it, which is a big factor) although my scores certainly aren’t great, they’re far enough above the staked-out area that CapOne seems to go after, and I have good cards from AmEx and Discover. I’m likely therefore out of their main demographic and I doubt they’re too interested in me at this point.
Message 16 of 30
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
 it wouldn’t surprise me if bigger limits and better growth happen for people who don’t have higher-tier cards. You and I are running neck-n-neck...let's keep tabs on how this progresses.  
I’m 11 days from my CLI window opening, and my almighty PC-Plat-turned-QS sits at an intimidating $500. (I agree, $500 for me as well) Should you call in and discuss your cli request and possibilities/options before requesting a cli?  The CSR said to regularly check for rewards and offers.....I'd call in and ask, "What are my offers?"  If no offers,  ask what/when/how can you obtain a subtancial cli.

If, and that’s probably a big if, I get a CLI next week, it’ll probably be $100 or so. Please update here , I really want to know.  (tag me or something)  
 I have good cards from AmEx and Discover. I don't....that's where you and I are different.  Good luck, I'm rooting for ya!

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Laurachrissy, I will follow up for sure on the CLI attempt. I’m also curious to hear of your experience with it as the time approaches. I hadn’t thought about calling in to discuss it with a CSR for the main reason that they basically regurgitate whatever their computer tells them to do, and they have very little, if any, ability to deviate from it via recon or conversation. I check online for upgrade opportunities but I haven’t seen anything offered other than the move from Plat to QS last year during my steps, which I did. I’ll check again for an upgrade offer but so far every time it’s always said “no offers for this account exist at this time”. Between that and the negligible (or nonexistent) CLIs, my belief is CapOne will be fine leaving my card open and making money from any swipe fees I generate, but they’re not going to try and increase my business one little bit.
Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

On a side note,your current 748 score - is that FICO or VS, and what bureau? I ask because that score in Experian would likely give you your pick of AmEx revolvers, and in TU you should easily qualify for Disco. Barring significant negatives in those reports, I would think you could get those cards with good SLs rather easily - they’re absolutely worth it and would eliminate the need to even sweat CapOne and their miserly behavior.
Message 19 of 30
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
, my belief is CapOne will be fine leaving my card open and making money from any swipe fees I generate, but they’re not going to try and increase my business one little bit.

I don't know, did you read K-In-Boston post about no cli with Chase for 14 years and just got a Giant cli?  We may have to wait it out a few years.  I hope not, but.... 

Now he did say that I will see offers but if not and it's been 6 months or so that I should call in.  That's why I think you may do better asking over the phone.  He said it doesn't hurt to ask. 

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.