Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App-O-Rama Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

App-O-Rama Advice

My CC paydowns have finally cycled through and my EX FICO 8 is up to 760. The other two should be similar as my reports all have similar info on them; I just haven’t pulled a paid report on them. The only “negative” information I have on my file is ~80% remaining installment debt from my car and student loans. It’s a clean record otherwise, with AAoA ~3yrs, utilization at 11%.

I’m looking at doing my first app-o-rama, and I’m wanting to go for hard pulls that I think will give me the most results (auto/SP CLIs and/or high limits). My biggest concern is I don’t have any big tradelines on my file yet, so I’m hoping to order my HPs to try to fix that first if possible.

A week from now I’ll be added as an authorized user on my father’s card, which will add a $13,000 tradeline with 8 years and 1% utilization to my file.

After that, I’m planning on:

(Skip a CLI on my Regions CC? I’ve gathered they’re conservative, and I’m not convinced it’s worth it. Otherwise I may request the CLI after the spree.)

HP #1: CLI on my PNC CC. Results on Credit Boards seem to indicate I could get a decent increase.

HP #2: Apply to BarclayCard. I’ve read they give auto CLIs but that I need to apply first because they’re the most stringent.

HP #3: Apply to PenFed. Credit Boards indicates they’re very generous with their limits.

HP #4: Apply to Digital Credit Union. Credit Boards indicates they’re very generous with their limits.

HP #5: Apply to Amex. Go for that 3x Auto CLI at 61 days. Maybe also apply for a charge card while I’m at it to help cut utilization and wait for the inquiries to combine.

HP #6: Apply to Capital One. Freeze either TU or EX when I apply and then request a SP CLI every 6 months.

HP #7: Apply to BoA. Credit Boards indicates their limits can be decent to generous. (CLIs are HPs though.)

HP #8: Apply to Citi. Credit Boards indicates their limits can be decent. CLIs are either SPs or HPs.

What thoughts/advice/comments do you have on the matter? Are there any cards you recommend that auto CLI or tend to come with generally higher limits? If you were stacking an app-o-rama, is there any order you would change around, and why? Are there any store/brand cards you think I should take a look at?

————

Edit: I’ve been talked out of doing an app-o-rama and into slowing down the application process considerably.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: App-O-Rama Advice

BofA is now a SP for CLIs. They aren't too fond of multiple recent inqs.
They normally pull EX on new app and SP TU for CLIs.

I'd skip Barclays unless they have a CC you REALLY must have.

AMEX is EX HP 99.9% of the time on a new card app. SP for CLIs. They are sensitive to new accounts and inqs.

Penfed is a EQ HP. They are also conservative with new members.
So I'd move them up the list if you want a successful app with them.

Citi might HP both EX and EQ.
They've also become sensitive to new accounts. So you don't want a bunch of new accounts posting before you app for their cards. Or wait Six months and then app with them.

Capitol One and DCU can both be conservative. Unless either offers something special, I'd skip them both.

It all boils down to what you're looking for. Whether it be cash back, points or miles.

I'd get the SP for CLI lenders out the way first.

Those would be Penfed if you are lucky enough to get SP offers in the future, Synchrony Bank, Amex, BofA, Discover and Citi.

Let's say you just added 3 this time.
Amex on EX, Synchrony PayPal 2% CB on TU and Penfed on EQ. That's one HP per Credit bureau and all potential SPs for CLIs down the road.
Might be able to throw BofA in there with another HP on EX.
Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Penfed is very conservative now, some get good limits some dont.

#6, we do not permit advocation of this on myFico and is against Tos. Capitol One needs to pull all three bureaus or you'll get automatic rejection and you'll end up using a hp for nothing.
Message 3 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My CC paydowns have finally cycled through and my EX FICO 8 is up to 760. The other two should be similar as my reports all have similar info on them; I just haven’t pulled a paid report on them. The only “negative” information I have on my file is ~80% remaining installment debt from my car and student loans. It’s a clean record otherwise, with AAoA ~3yrs, utilization at 11%.

I’m looking at doing my first app-o-rama, and I’m wanting to go for hard pulls that I think will give me the most results (auto/SP CLIs and/or high limits). My biggest concern is I don’t have any big tradelines on my file yet, so I’m hoping to order my HPs to try to fix that first if possible.

A week from now I’ll be added as an authorized user on my father’s card, which will add a $13,000 tradeline with 8 years and 1% utilization to my file.

After that, I’m planning on:

(Skip a CLI on my Regions CC? I’ve gathered they’re conservative, and I’m not convinced it’s worth it. Otherwise I may request the CLI after the spree.)

HP #1: CLI on my PNC CC. Results on Credit Boards seem to indicate I could get a decent increase.

HP #2: Apply to BarclayCard. I’ve read they give auto CLIs but that I need to apply first because they’re the most stringent.

HP #3: Apply to PenFed. Credit Boards indicates they’re very generous with their limits.

HP #4: Apply to Digital Credit Union. Credit Boards indicates they’re very generous with their limits.

HP #5: Apply to Amex. Go for that 3x Auto CLI at 61 days. Maybe also apply for a charge card while I’m at it to help cut utilization and wait for the inquiries to combine.

HP #6: Apply to Capital One. Freeze either TU or EX when I apply and then request a SP CLI every 6 months.

HP #7: Apply to BoA. Credit Boards indicates their limits can be decent to generous. (CLIs are HPs though.)

HP #8: Apply to Citi. Credit Boards indicates their limits can be decent. CLIs are either SPs or HPs.

What thoughts/advice/comments do you have on the matter? Are there any cards you recommend that auto CLI or tend to come with generally higher limits? If you were stacking an app-o-rama, is there any order you would change around, and why? Are there any store/brand cards you think I should take a look at?

My advice is....   don't.

Aggressive credit-seeking behavior like that will kill your scores and may send up red flags to one or more of the lenders. If you insist on expanding, it is much better to do so gradually.

Joining PenFed and DCU are good moves, but your rumors of large starting limits are not correct. You might as well do one or both of those moves first, since they are conservative about recent aggressive credit-seeking behavior.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes I disagree about DCU I think they are on the conservative side and Penfed has been tightning up lately.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 9
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Aside from limits what benefit does each card provide?  Answer that critically before taking any HP

Message 6 of 9
arkane
Established Contributor

App-O-Ramas' have been dead for a while now, HPs get recorded within a few minutes if not instantly.

As mentioned, only go for the cards where you'll actually be able to utilize the benefits rather than on what SL you think they might give you. Given your relatively thin file, I think an AOR like what you described would end catastrophically. I'd pick 3, maybe 4 cards you REALLY want and then plan accordingly if you really want to go through with it. 

Btw a lot of your info from the site that shall not be named is outdated. Barclays is not known for generous limits, and while auto-CLIs are a thing, they seem to happen mostly with mid-low SLs. BoA can be very generous with limits but only after they've gotten to know you --some say they're a "relationship bank". Their CLIs are SP now but who knows how long that'll last lol. Freezing EX with Capone will lead to an instant denial these days, and you might want to read this thread about Penfed really tightening the purse strings: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Big-bad-news-on-PenFed-s-NEW-STRICT-in-the-last-45-day...

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I’m aware that app-o-rama’s are technically not what they used to be, but it’s still concisely understood so I used it anyways.

As for benefit/goals, my objectives are to thicken my file/spending limits and choose cash back cards that allow for SP CLIs. My first card will be an Amex because of the 3x 61 day CLI. I’m thinking of applying for that one first. After reading the thread “Ask A Back Office CC Company Employee ANYTHING”, I’m thinking it’s more important for my next move after the Amex to be to increase the SL on my current cards, even though it’ll be 3 HPs to my file, since new cards calculate your starting limit as a mix of your highest limit and your average limits (and mine are both currently lousy). After I get the HP CLIs and that 61 day 3x CLI w/ Amex, then I’ll app for some other cards—hopefully with higher initial starting limits than what I could get currently.
Message 8 of 9
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah, I’m aware that app-o-rama’s are technically not what they used to be, but it’s still concisely understood so I used it anyways.

As for benefit/goals, my objectives are to thicken my file/spending limits and choose cash back cards that allow for SP CLIs. My first card will be an Amex because of the 3x 61 day CLI. I’m thinking of applying for that one first. After reading the thread “Ask A Back Office CC Company Employee ANYTHING”, I’m thinking it’s more important for my next move after the Amex to be to increase the SL on my current cards, even though it’ll be 3 HPs to my file, since new cards calculate your starting limit as a mix of your highest limit and your average limits (and mine are both currently lousy). After I get the HP CLIs and that 61 day 3x CLI w/ Amex, then I’ll app for some other cards—hopefully with higher initial starting limits than what I could get currently.

I really wouldn't read too much (if any) into that. Each lender does their own thing, and the SL depends on the specifics of your profile as well as your income. You only need to have one look at my sig to know the part in bold isn't true, or at best is specific to one particular lender. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.