Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Card CLI denied

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple Card CLI denied

I've been trying every couple of months to request a CLI on my Apple Card and keep getting denied. Current SL is $1,000 and I normally spend $50-$100 a month on it and PIF.

Denial reasons -

1) Your TransUnion credit report shows you have recently been past due on another credit card account.

2) Your TransUnion credit report shows you have recently been reported as past due on one or more accounts with another credit issuer/provider.

So since BK being discharged in March of 2018 I have never been late nor past due. All accounts that were late/charged off were included in BK and report a $0 balance & included in bankruptcy. I guess I should ignore their wording when it comes to "recently". Since this is the denial reasons I'm getting on the CLI I'm thinking they are going off those old accounts that were included in BK. Any insight?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Apple Card CLI denied

Sorry for your CLI denial, @Anonymous. 

My first recommendation would be to check your current credit report and make sure nothing erroneous has been added that you aren't aware of.   Even if you pulled one in the past 12 months, you're entitled to another free one if you request it within 60 days of the denial letter.  (See the fine print at the bottom of your denial email.)   Contact Transunion at the contact info on the letter.

Most likely, your suspicions about the BK discharge are correct.  "Recently" is open to interpretation.  A lender may consider anything that is reported on your credit report as too "recent" for their taste, even though it can go back several years.    Also, keep in mind that those denial reasons are somewhat "canned" but lenders are required by the Fair Credit Reporting Act to give you some reasons they denied your request.  The exact wording or even the reasons they choose to give may not seem to fit everyone's circumstances precisely. 

Besides the denial reasons, your spending may be a little on the low side for an increase based on data points our members have put together over time.  Spending at least 25% to 30% of your full credit limit in the few months before a request seems to yield better results, so in your case with $1K limit, you'd want to be spending much closer to that $100 per month.  If you're closer to the low end of that $50 per month, you might see a denial due to insufficient use of current credit limit, even once you clear up the recent past due remarks.  

Good luck getting it sorted out but it may just need more time for GS Bank to feel comfortable. 

Apple Card CLI Data Points thread:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Apple-Card-credit-limit-increase-DPs/td-p/5808169

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

In regards to my credit report everything is being reported correctly. Those weekly free credit reports are awesome, nice to see it was extended for another 12 months. That said it must be the information from prior to the BK discharge causing the issue. So about 3.5 years is the date on the most recent baddies. I got the card back in August of 2020. 

As for using the trade line more, yeah I'm not even over 10% on any given month. I mostly just use it for my cellphone for 2% back ($55) and a few other small purchases. I'd like to grow it to at-least 2K so if I did want to finance an apple product the card wouldn't immediately be over 50%. Lucky for me they sell Apple products at Best Buy with the same 12 month 0% APR option to finance and my limit is higher with the Citi card. Then I realized I don't need an Apple computer. 

I'll try again after the card has aged past a year since opening and see if I can move any more of my usual spend over.

Message 3 of 8
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@Aim_High   Due to Covid, you are allowed free credit reports on all 3 bureaus once per week through April of next year.  In was in the latest Covid relief bill that was signed into law in March.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 4 of 8
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Sorry you were denied @Anonymous .  

It always amazes me that lenders will approve you with old baddies but when it comes to CLIs, suddenly, those old baddies get trotted out as a reason for denying you as if they just happened last week!

06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Message 5 of 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@designated_knitter wrote:

@Aim_High   Due to Covid, you are allowed free credit reports on all 3 bureaus once per week through April of next year.  In was in the latest Covid relief bill that was signed into law in March.

Thanks @designated_knitter, I had missed that.  Smiley Wink  That's great! 

... Still, it's good to remember that anytime you're denied credit, you'll be given the opportunity to a copy of that bureau's report so you can check it for errors that might have led to the denial.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@designated_knitter  yes I do find it to be quite ironic lol. At-least do the Capital One $100 giveaway. 

That said I'm grateful they let me get my foot in the door. It's still my favorite physical card and still sits in it's special little envelope that it came in. 

September 2021 it'll be over 1 year old so I'll try again around then maybe finance an Apple Watch or Airpods and just make two payments to PIF to hit the 30% usage. At-least I can share my DPs and experience and it's not a hard pull. 

Message 7 of 8
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

The other thing you can do is split payments at the Apple store.  So you want to buy a phone but can only finance 2/3rds because of your Apple Card limit, throw the rest on a different card.  Do it at the beginning of the month and max out the card, then pay it down before it reports so it doesn't throw off your utilization.

If you do that, I *believe* you still maximize your Apple rewards.

As many of the data points indicate, Apple needs to get heavy use or they don't think you love them enough to love you back!

06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.