Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Spree

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Application Spree

Quick question, how do you manage applications when you are applying for multiple cards. Do you apply all in the same day or do you wait a few months in-between each application? I imagine if you did all in the same day would your credit report update instantly? Probably not right?

Had a friend who mentioned he did all within 24 hours to prevent getting blocked for being "credit seeking". This would be for credit cards specifically. 

Thanks...Sorry if this was listed/stickied somewhere but I don't see it readily apparent.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Application Spree

Generally people consider app sprees to be risky anymore. HPs show up basically instantly so other lenders will most likely see all the other inquiries. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no getting around the HPs as already mentioned.  I also think it is important to know the creditors that you are applying for.  Some are much more likely to take AA than others.  Some are more inquiry sensitive and new account sensitive than others.  If you want, list the creditors that you plan on applying for and how many cards do you see yourself applying for.  I'm sure many people here can at least suggest an order in which to apply.

Message 3 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Generally people consider app sprees to be risky anymore. HPs show up basically instantly so other lenders will most likely see all the other inquiries. 

+1

And, OP, some who have gotten approved find they can’t activate the card once they receive it because the CCC has already closed the card due to excessive credit seeking. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks would have never imagined that they would reactively close a recently opened account after HP showing multiple applications 😢
Message 5 of 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous

The only ones I know of that may do that are Capital One, Comenity, Chase, Synchrony and Barclays.
The majority of the creditors rarely do that unless they detect fraud. Such as stolen identity.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The riskiest thing I did was double dipping chase cards just 2 weeks ago. I applied Sunday 11:50 PM for FU and then Monday 12:20 AM for Freedom. Eastern time. As chase uses Eastern time so technically these are 2 apps on 2 different dates. Granted only the next day. However, the credit bureaus use pacific time, so both of these happened on the same day from chase so I got only one HP. Only 1 Experian.

So far the cards work fine but I hear people getting double dip second card shut down one month after account opening.

If you have too many new accounts, I know cap 1 and boa don’t like that and they will deny you even if you have a good score. But Amex is good tho, I feel like they don’t care about new accounts that much as long as you spend a sh*t load of money on their cards lol.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I wanted to get 1 Chase, 1 Amex and 1 Cap One (hypothetically) should the order be :

Cap One
Chase 1 month later
AMX same day as Chase?
Message 8 of 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So if I wanted to get 1 Chase, 1 Amex and 1 Cap One (hypothetically) should the order be :

Cap One
Chase 1 month later
AMX same day as Chase?

Chase first, then Cap one and then Amex. IME, Amex hasn't been new account or inquiry sensitive. You can bust them all the same day if you want to. 3 apps isn't what I'd consider over the top. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a list of apps in order of priority for an AppSpree!!!! Those who know me, this spree is for DW not me. these r her scores.

EX: 724/1 inq 1 collection acct
EQ:706/1 inq (15 mos old); clean report
TU: 765/2 inq (18 mo old); clean report
Util: 24% overall

AAOA : 4 yrs

State: TX; Income $71k/yr

EX : Chase/Discover/Amex/SDFCU/Costco Visa/BBVA Compass/NASA

EQ: DCU/CSP/TDECU/Langley/Synovus/SunTrust
TU: Uber/US Bank/Walmart/SamsClubMc

<MOD EDIT: This cannot be discussed on myFICO forum>

Now to prioritize

App1: Chase CSP (already have freedom with only $500 CL  issued 36+ months ago); Hopefully pull EQ/TU
App2: US Bank Platinum or Cash+ (on TU); or Uber (have to decide)
App3: Costco Visa (Hopefully pulls EQ/TU) instead of EX
App4: Discover (Hopefully pulls EQ instead of EX)
App5: DCU or TDECU (pulls EQ).

App6: Walmart (pulls TU)

I guess if Costco/Discover/Chase cannot access EX; there will be no hard inquiry & all is well.

US Bank & Walmart are only ones getting an approval or denial.

The only thing is DW has no credit limit exceeding $3k. I wonder what to make of it when apping for CSP?

Chase 0/500 CL
Shell 0/$500 CL

Cap1Qs $ 256/$2k CL

PPalMC $500/$2500 CL
OpenSky $0/$300 CL
MerrickBank $900/$1400CL

Kohls $0/$300 CL
SunTrust $6760 balance on auto loan 2 yrs remaining.

how's my order of apping for the cards? success or miserably failing?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.