Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA Compass Clear Points Prequalification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBVA Compass Clear Points Prequalification

Afernoon my fellow MyFico'rs

Wanted to throw this over the fence and see what others think. I have read the Plus & Minus's of BBVA Compass, but recently receieved the all too famous BBVA Compass Clear Points Credit Card Prequalification Reservation Number Letter... LOL  The APR is between 13% and 31.5% (Give or Take)... I'm not too sure if I should bite as I have just recently got a Delta AMEX Gold (only $1k SL) and a new PETAL Visa ($4.5k SL) both within the past month... I am looking to possibly although not definate, yet, look to get an auto loan possibly in the next month or so...

Have:

8 Inq

No late payments

32% Utililization

EQ 686

TU 700

EX 669

This Summer I was growing the garden... 

Am Tempted on the BBVA Compass Clear Points, but not sure I should pull the trigger, being I pull 2 last month... Talk amongst yourselves... Let me know your thoughts... Very much appreciate it...

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BBVA Compass Clear Points Prequalification

@Anonymous wrote:

Wanted to throw this over the fence and see what others think. I have read the Plus & Minus's of BBVA Compass, but recently receieved the all too famous BBVA Compass Clear Points Credit Card Prequalification Reservation Number Letter... LOL  The APR is between 13% and 31.5% (Give or Take)... I'm not too sure if I should bite as I have just recently got a Delta AMEX Gold (only $1k SL) and a new PETAL Visa ($4.5k SL) both within the past month... I am looking to possibly although not definate, yet, look to get an auto loan possibly in the next month or so...

Have:

8 Inq

No late payments

32% Utililization

EQ 686

TU 700

EX 669

Am Tempted on the BBVA Compass Clear Points, but not sure I should pull the trigger, being I pull 2 last month... Talk amongst yourselves... Let me know your thoughts... Very much appreciate it...

I recenelty applied for this card, after doing some research on here to see what limits other people have gotten and with my score being similiar thought I might get a better starting limit so was slightly dissapointed. Instant approval for $3.4K

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Have:

8 Inq

No late payments

32% Utililization

EQ 686

TU 700

EX 669

I recenelty applied for this card, after doing some research on here to see what limits other people have gotten and with my score being similiar thought I might get a better starting limit so was slightly dissapointed. Instant approval for $3.4K

Df82

Thank you... I should note I have no Baddies on my report too... Just curious of others impressions... Thanks again!!!

Message 3 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What is the value proposition of this card to you?  

FWIW, I did get this card a few months ago with a $15K SL via a prequal mailer.  It's been sockdrawered ever since I collected the SUB. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Have:

8 Inq

No late payments

32% Utililization

EQ 686

TU 700

EX 669

I got this card around a year ago (my 0% APR just expired) and it's not bad.

If you can make use of one of the 3% categories (I chose travel) then it might be a good addition.  Compass (BBVA) can be a bit quirky, but as long as you know how they roll things are generally manageable.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

FWIW, I did get this card a few months ago with a $15K SL via a prequal mailer.  It's been sockdrawered ever since I collected the SUB. 

Really just a card... Although it has the 3% CB on it so... I'm not fussed really, but adding to my total Credit Line, is always nice...

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Have:

8 Inq

No late payments

32% Utililization

EQ 686

TU 700

EX 669

If you can make use of one of the 3% categories (I chose travel) then it might be a good addition.  Compass (BBVA) can be a bit quirky, but as long as you know how they roll things are generally manageable.

Thanks UncleB!!! I have read up on how quirky they are... Issues w online payments, send a check in, long payment processing...  etc... Just not sure, as still deciding on the auto loan or not... 

Message 7 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Have:

8 Inq

No late payments

32% Utililization

EQ 686

TU 700

EX 669

Thanks UncleB!!! I have read up on how quirky they are... Issues w online payments, send a check in, long payment processing...  etc... Just not sure, as still deciding on the auto loan or not... 

While they are quirky, to their credit they've also been solid (i.e. no issues). 

The payment thing can be easily worked around if you don't mind letting them do an ACH pull from your checking (which many on here actually prefer anyway), and in my experience the funds are available as soon as they post the payment.

Other than not playing well with my bank's bill pay, the only real 'nit' I have with them - and it's actually quite minor - is that for the 3x category it takes several extra days for the extra 2x to show up (you get 1x when the transaction posts).  Of course this is still better than many cards that make you wait until the statement posts for any of the points to show up, so like I said it's a really minor complaint.  I usually just took statement credits ($25 increments), but the one time I did a "real-time redemption" using the app it worked flawlessly (you can do this from the website as well), so in that way they have even the Wells Fargo Propel beat.  (Real-time redemptions can be in any amount.)

Their credit lines (and APRs) seem to be a bit all-over-the-map, but I see the wide APR range as them trying to approve as many people as possible, and if you PIF it really doesn't matter, anyway.  My own credit line was $10k, which isn't too bad for my profile, and I got an auto-CLI of $1500 back in the summer bringing my new CL to $11.5k (so auto-CLIs are definitely possible).

I was cautious with them due to an overall lackluster experience with them years ago, however I have to say that this time around it's been pretty good. 

Just my 2¢... hope this helps with your decision!

Message 8 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

Really just a card... Although it has the 3% CB on it so... I'm not fussed really, but adding to my total Credit Line, is always nice...

Assuming that the Petal card hasn't started reporting yet and it wasn't a HP from EX I myself would lean toward applying although I'd feel a lot better about it if your utilization were lower.

BBVA pulls EX but doesn't seem to be particularly inquiry sensitive so I doubt they'd be too concerned about seeing that recent AMEX HP.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 12
cf2701
Regular Contributor

BBVA Clearpoints $16,000 | Discover $13,900 | CECU Visa $10,000 | NFCU Go Rewards Visa Sig. $18,500 | NFCU CLOC $15,000 | PayPal CB MC $10,000 | Paypal Credit $10,000 | Card $7,500 | AMX Hilton Honors Ascend $2,000 | Wayfair $23,900 | Sportsmans Guide Visa $12,400 | Kohls $3,000 | Capital One Savor One $3,500 | PNC Cash Rewards $17,000 | PenFed Power Cash Rewards $10,000 | PenFed Gold $10,000 | Lowe's $20,000 | Best Buy Visa $4,000 | Home Depot $4,000 | NFCU Platinum $25,000
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.