cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCE: Auto CLI or by Request Only?

AverageJoesCredit
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: BCE: Auto CLI or by Request Only?

Ive never gotten auto luv from Amex, not even any preapprovals lol. They've even taken away my ability to request cli so getting sp cli can dry up even if eligble. 

Message 11 of 20
AJ67
Member

Re: BCE: Auto CLI or by Request Only?


@scfc1972 wrote:

My BCE started at $2k and now up to $18k. Less than 18 months I have had the card. None of the CLIs were auto.


None..WOW! Thanks for the info...

Message 12 of 20
_bobby_lee
Valued Member

Re: BCE: Auto CLI or by Request Only?

I've had my BCE since Feb 2020 with a $15k limit and had not asked for a CLI, and they had not given one either, even though I have used it as my main card with $1-$2k balances that I paid off every month. I was expecting them to make the first move. After reading this thread I was inspired/curious becuase I had expected a CLI by this point, but I just went over to my account and requested an increase, named my number and wallah, I have a $20k limit now. (should have asked for more) So yeah, if you're like me, I think if you have had your account open for a while and aren't carrying wild balances, they will approve a request from you rather than just give you one. I even updated my income which is less than what it was when I signed up and they still approved it. Amex seems to be shy like a middle chool girl at prom, and needs you to take the lead. Go for it.

Cards are shown in chronological order of opening, 2014 - 2021.


Starting Score: 657
Current Score: 759 TU 749 EQ
Goal Score: 800+


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 20
AJ67
Member

Re: BCE: Auto CLI or by Request Only?


@_bobby_lee wrote:

I've had my BCE since Feb 2020 with a $15k limit and had not asked for a CLI, and they had not given one either, even though I have used it as my main card with $1-$2k balances that I paid off every month. I was expecting them to make the first move. After reading this thread I was inspired/curious becuase I had expected a CLI by this point, but I just went over to my account and requested an increase, named my number and wallah, I have a $20k limit now. (should have asked for more) So yeah, if you're like me, I think if you have had your account open for a while and aren't carrying wild balances, they will approve a request from you rather than just give you one. I even updated my income which is less than what it was when I signed up and they still approved it. Amex seems to be shy like a middle chool girl at prom, and needs you to take the lead. Go for it.


 

I just got my card Smiley Happy I will wait 6 months before I request one. For some reason I'm one of those who prefer getting auto CLI!

Message 14 of 20
AJ67
Member

Re: BCE: Auto CLI or by Request Only?


@_bobby_lee wrote:

I've had my BCE since Feb 2020 with a $15k limit and had not asked for a CLI, and they had not given one either, even though I have used it as my main card with $1-$2k balances that I paid off every month. I was expecting them to make the first move. After reading this thread I was inspired/curious becuase I had expected a CLI by this point, but I just went over to my account and requested an increase, named my number and wallah, I have a $20k limit now. (should have asked for more) So yeah, if you're like me, I think if you have had your account open for a while and aren't carrying wild balances, they will approve a request from you rather than just give you one. I even updated my income which is less than what it was when I signed up and they still approved it. Amex seems to be shy like a middle chool girl at prom, and needs you to take the lead. Go for it.


I forgot to ask you. For example, if you ask for more would they counteroffer or would they simply deny it?

Message 15 of 20
fredzos
Contributor

Re: BCE: Auto CLI or by Request Only?


@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Ive never gotten auto luv from Amex, not even any preapprovals lol. They've even taken away my ability to request cli so getting sp cli can dry up even if eligble. 


 

wow! is it because you requested so many times?

 





9% Util




Gardening Start 9/18/2020
Message 16 of 20
AJ67
Member

Re: BCE: Auto CLI or by Request Only?


@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Ive never gotten auto luv from Amex, not even any preapprovals lol. They've even taken away my ability to request cli so getting sp cli can dry up even if eligble. 

 


Do you know why they took away your ability to request CLI?

Message 17 of 20
AJ67
Member

Re: BCE: Auto CLI or by Request Only?


@scfc1972 wrote:

My BCE started at $2k and now up to $18k. Less than 18 months I have had the card. None of the CLIs were auto.


If they do not approve the amount of CLI one requested, do they counteroffer or do they deny the request altogether?

Message 18 of 20
_bobby_lee
Valued Member

Re: BCE: Auto CLI or by Request Only?


@AJ67 wrote:

@_bobby_lee wrote:

I've had my BCE since Feb 2020 with a $15k limit and had not asked for a CLI, and they had not given one either, even though I have used it as my main card with $1-$2k balances that I paid off every month. I was expecting them to make the first move. After reading this thread I was inspired/curious becuase I had expected a CLI by this point, but I just went over to my account and requested an increase, named my number and wallah, I have a $20k limit now. (should have asked for more) So yeah, if you're like me, I think if you have had your account open for a while and aren't carrying wild balances, they will approve a request from you rather than just give you one. I even updated my income which is less than what it was when I signed up and they still approved it. Amex seems to be shy like a middle chool girl at prom, and needs you to take the lead. Go for it.


I forgot to ask you. For example, if you ask for more would they counteroffer or would they simply deny it?


I imagine they have a system for figuring out what CLI amount they will instantly approve, what amount would go to review, and from there either counter offered or denied, all based on your account activity and credit worthiness. I was instantly approved for the specific amount I requested, which lets me know that the mount I requested was well within their "safe zone" for me. Rather than hitting a button and waiting to see how much they gave me, there was a text box where I could type in the specific new CL I wanted. Are you familiar with AMEX's 3x CLI rule? I feel like I could have gotten more, but I don't need it. I've also heard that at either the $25k or $30k mark they will ask for you to fill out additional forms to prove your finacial stability, which I don't care to do so keeping it in the low 20's for me is a sweet spot. Not sure if that answers your question, but that's some more details about my specific scenario! Best of luck in 6 months!

Cards are shown in chronological order of opening, 2014 - 2021.


Starting Score: 657
Current Score: 759 TU 749 EQ
Goal Score: 800+


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: BCE: Auto CLI or by Request Only?


@_bobby_lee wrote:

@AJ67 wrote:

@_bobby_lee wrote:

I've had my BCE since Feb 2020 with a $15k limit and had not asked for a CLI, and they had not given one either, even though I have used it as my main card with $1-$2k balances that I paid off every month. I was expecting them to make the first move. After reading this thread I was inspired/curious becuase I had expected a CLI by this point, but I just went over to my account and requested an increase, named my number and wallah, I have a $20k limit now. (should have asked for more) So yeah, if you're like me, I think if you have had your account open for a while and aren't carrying wild balances, they will approve a request from you rather than just give you one. I even updated my income which is less than what it was when I signed up and they still approved it. Amex seems to be shy like a middle chool girl at prom, and needs you to take the lead. Go for it.


I forgot to ask you. For example, if you ask for more would they counteroffer or would they simply deny it?


I imagine they have a system for figuring out what CLI amount they will instantly approve, what amount would go to review, and from there either counter offered or denied, all based on your account activity and credit worthiness. I was instantly approved for the specific amount I requested, which lets me know that the mount I requested was well within their "safe zone" for me. Rather than hitting a button and waiting to see how much they gave me, there was a text box where I could type in the specific new CL I wanted. Are you familiar with AMEX's 3x CLI rule? I feel like I could have gotten more, but I don't need it. I've also heard that at either the $25k or $30k mark they will ask for you to fill out additional forms to prove your finacial stability, which I don't care to do so keeping it in the low 20's for me is a sweet spot. Not sure if that answers your question, but that's some more details about my specific scenario! Best of luck in 6 months!


Emperically there had been enough data points collected a couple of years ago to infer that the typical breakpoint for a CLI request triggering AMEX making a 4506-T request was $35K (an AMEX 4506-T request is NOT a financial review!) but that was and continues to be profile-specific.



(2/2021)
FICO 8 (EX) 812 (TU) 816 (EQ) 804
FICO 9 (EX) 825 (TU) 827 (EQ) 826

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.