Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Declined

tag
Dahlia77
Regular Contributor

Re: BOA Declined

Keep us posted.  Got my fingers double crossed for you!

Message 11 of 36
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

As others have mentioned, I would call and recon as well.  I was just approved for 2 BoA cards about a month and a half ago and the approvals were within days of each other.  I picked up the CashRewards and TravelRewards and I have 15+ inquiries in EX as well as a BK13 reporting.  Good luck!

Message 12 of 36
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

I called and got lady who wasn't interested in helping me she just read verbatim the reason I was declined which was I "didn't have enough credit references"  and that I had too many inquiries. Whatever. You could tell she was just trying to get me off the phone. That's ok though. We can't win them all and I do have my share of good cards. It's a bummer but some banks like you and some banks don't I guess lol. How else can we explain the inconsistencies we see on a daily basis here of who gets approved and who doesn't. 

You guys are all supportive though which I really appreciate! Don't feel too bad for me. I've been on a good roll the past year. It's time for me to "garden" as they say. Let my accounts age more. I did feel like if I had a different person things might have been different. But I feel if I call back that's when we're getting into the murky territory of when to call it a day. Though I just read a post of a person who got declined from AMEX, declined on recon and then approved after an email to the CEO lol 

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 13 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit_hawk wrote:

I called and got lady who wasn't interested in helping me she just read verbatim the reason I was declined which was I "didn't have enough credit references"  and that I had too many inquiries. Whatever. You could tell she was just trying to get me off the phone. That's ok though. We can't win them all and I do have my share of good cards. It's a bummer but some banks like you and some banks don't I guess lol. How else can we explain the inconsistencies we see on a daily basis here of who gets approved and who doesn't. 

You guys are all supportive though which I really appreciate! Don't feel too bad for me. I've been on a good roll the past year. It's time for me to "garden" as they say. Let my accounts age more. I did feel like if I had a different person things might have been different. But I feel if I call back that's when we're getting into the murky territory of when to call it a day. Though I just read a post of a person who got declined from AMEX, declined on recon and then approved after an email to the CEO lol 

So sorry this happened to you. I bank with Bank of America and have for eight years. I agree with those that say they want to see some activity with them before issuing cards. I began with a partially secured card that graduated within a year then it was smooth sailing with them. I have three cards with 43k credit lines total. It took two years to make that happen, but I was happy with them because I do bank with them. That being said, there are tons of cards out there. Personally, I really like credit unions and the cards they issue. Thanks for sharing your story.

Message 14 of 36
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Sorry to read of your denial. I'm curious of what she meant by credit references? I noticed you mentioned 0% utilization in the OP. Are you allowing any usage to post to your CRs? It won't hurt to show that you are using the cards you have now. That might help with future approvals. I know many here fixate on allowing one card to post. It may boost scores a hair, though I doubt it does any good when human eyes look over the reports.

Good luck with your future endeavours.
Message 15 of 36
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

If it was me I would be calling recon again. Different reps are more helpful than others. Explain why you want/need the card and remember to be nice etc... I would also suggest at least 1% utilization to show on your reports. It has worked the best for me with getting approvals and I have a lot more inq than you. You have to remember that a denial over inquiries usually means there is something else wrong with your profile (in their eyes) and they just throw it in as an excuse. You used the HP already so you might as well get some mileage out of it Smiley Happy

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

curious to see how this turns out - I would like to eventually get a BofA Travel Rewards to finish off my list of "big lenders" but if they denied you with those stats...

Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

If it was me I would be calling recon again. Different reps are more helpful than others. Explain why you want/need the card and remember to be nice etc... I would also suggest at least 1% utilization to show on your reports. It has worked the best for me with getting approvals and I have a lot more inq than you. You have to remember that a denial over inquiries usually means there is something else wrong with your profile (in their eyes) and they just throw it in as an excuse. You used the HP already so you might as well get some mileage out of it Smiley Happy

I agree. If you call tell them how much you want to have a relationship with them. Best of luck to you!

Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

BoA does keep notes from prior recon calls, just fyi. It's definitely worth a second recon if you'd like to try, but do keep that in mind. They will know you had called to recon previously. Smiley Happy

OP, you've been doing really well overall it seems, so be proud of that success as well! Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 36
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

BoA does keep notes from prior recon calls, just fyi. It's worth a second recon if you'd like to try, but do keep that in mind. They will know you had called to recon previously. Smiley Happy

haha I hear ya! This kind of stuff used to make me nervous. What will they say/think/do and really it just doesn't matter. Some reps are nicer and will actually spend some time with you and try to work something out and others just read from a script. Since I've dealt with Chase business lending department a few times these types of calls just don't bug me anymore lol

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.