Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays AAdvantage chances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays AAdvantage chances?

This is like my unicorn....I’ve app’d 3 times in 12 months, all declines due to inquiries or new accounts in last 6 months.

Today I’m left with only 1 HP on my TU in 6 mo, but 11 in 12. In about a week I will have only opened 1 new revolver in 6 months.

TU is 770 with no baddies & 13% Util

I am an AA Exec Plat and I really want the SUB as well as the 10% point redemption. Did not burn Barclays in BK...have never had a card with them.

What are my chances? I’ve had zero luck with recons...I’d even take a toy limit.

I should also mention, I’m willing to garden, but my 20 year anniversary is coming up in January and I would love to add the SUB to my current AAdvantage points balance. I will be redeeming my current points and hate to not get the 10% return. So the card serves a specific purpose right now.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays AAdvantage chances?

I think you should wait at least until your youngest CC or inquiry is a year old.

IMHO, Barclays may see your 11 inquiries or new accounts in 12 months as credit-seeking desperation. I think you should thank Gawd for the decline instead of getting an approval, and Barclays close the acct later. I think I read that they’re inq sensitive.

Take a breather and go on over to the garden for a year and then try again.

What are your EQ and EX scores and inqs like?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My EX & EQ scores are all within a few points of TU. I have a few more inq on EQ due to CLI HPs from Penfed & NFCU...no new accounts.

My oldest account is 14 years, it survived BK. My next oldest will be 2 years in March. I have 5 new accounts in 12 mo, 2 are from Dec 2017, 2 from Apr 2017 & 1 from July 2018. I have 0 bal on the 3 newest, the 2 older I’m carrying small 0% interest balances.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many new credit card accounts do you have in the last 24 months.  Barclay has been making a lot of their cards 5/24. I got turned down for the Wyndham card with only 2 hard pulls on TU in last 12 months.  And only 1 new personal card in past 7 months. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was declined for this card about two weeks ago for being 6/24.  Had I known their magic number I would have waited, but the 60K Miles were too much of a temptation! Smiley LOL

Based on my experience, I suggest that you wait. Uness you like HP combined with a decline.

Message 5 of 7
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

A lot of very good SUB cards are now following Chase’s lead on the 5/24 these days so I suggest you take that into acct before app’ing. Just my 2 penniesSmiley Happy
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow I hadn’t read anywhere yet that Barclays had a 6/24 rule. All of my accounts are within 24, so if it’s true I’m a big fat decline for awhile!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.