Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA blacklist

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA blacklist

So as part of my spree that ended on 9/11, I tried for a BoA Cash Rewards and I got my letter. Reasons for denial:

One or more of your accounts has been included in a bankruptcy or we've received notification of your intent to file for bankruptcy

Limited deposit and/or investment balances with us and/or our affiliates 

The second reason is an interesting one. BoA had mailed me an offer to open a checking account with them and get $300 with direct deposit but it required me going in to a branch so I never did it. I wonder if banking with them gets you off the blacklist? I won't switch to them just to try to get a credit card that I won't use, I am just curious if that's an avenue that works since they specifically list it on the letter. 

They were included in my Chapter 7 back in 2010 for less than $5K (I don't remember the exact amount but that card had a $6500 limit and I never maxed any of my cards) and I figured I was still on the blacklist but while I was already out of the garden, I burned an HP to make sure. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BoA blacklist

I’m not sure about your BK as I never did one but I can say that even as a long time customer, BoA has been very finicky to me. I got a secure card with them and had it for 2 yrs no issues..got an auto CLI about 9 mths in and then was bucketed. They denied my CLI requests. Refused to PC my card to something that would earn me rewards since my card has an AF, zero rewards or BT offers and 22.9% interest rate. They refused to waive the AF.

So I stopped using the card. I would PIF before the due date for the few transactions that I kept on there (2-3 small bills). Then I went and got 2 new cards. And now all of a sudden, they sent me 0% interest BT checks and gave me a CLI.

I wouldn’t bother. Even if you open an acct with them, chances are with the BK it will take a long while to make any meaningful headway with them. I think you have other cards that are much better.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really have plans to give BoA my business long term. I would churn that $200 bonus and then cut the card. BoA and their pre-CARD shenanigans were the driving force behind my BK to begin with and I have a long memory too. It's more curiosity and in the interest of seeing DPs that I am curious about the deposit relationship and the blacklist. 

Message 3 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Having the depository relationship won't necessarily be a 'wild card' to be off the blacklist, unfortunately.  There's been some previous threads on similar outcomes.  By the same token, some who have IIB have been able to get a secured or unsecured CC through them.  So, it sounds like they'll likely hold that blacklist "memory" on you for sometime.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same limited balances reason for an app denial and a CLI denial. I think they're tightening up significantly.

Message 5 of 12
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

IME Depository relationship definitely helped get me off or even be not on their BL. Relationship going back since the foretold “Millennium Bug”! Lol

They were IIB in my BK7 in 2011 for more than $20K. Got declined for CR in 2015 but got offered a $99/500 that Unsecured in 6 months. Finally got approved for a CR a year later, closed then combined the bucketed 99/500. It now sits at $30K.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My one "baddie" is with BofA. I didn't get a charge-off, but had late payments on one card and settled for less than the full amount. It was not a small sum that was forgiven, either. 

My family has had a relationship with BofA going way back and I still have a long, LONG-standing checking account with them. A family member was an employee for many years, too. I've since moved on to Unify CU and NFCU for most of my banking needs, but I guess I'm a tiny bit sentimental about BofA.

I wonder how long it would take to be approved for a card again. Years, I assume. 

Message 7 of 12
mustangy1
Valued Member

bk 2014 
Today get preapproved letter in mail box, from boa 
and went online check  prequalify
yes you are pre qualifed for cash back.. apllied onlie  booomp DENIED stupid boa why the hell trick me like this,, 
720 transunion 690 exp from karma.
3 hp in last 24 months 
---Verizon (this idiots hp even you do not tell tham your ssn,  made extra deposit  for fios internet and do not tell tham your ssn)
---factual data pitssburg pa  i dont know who are they never applied .
--- capital one 
Cards capital one 2 cc $3000 and $3500 limits 
-tdcash thise account is 400k business personel account and still my limit is $2000
--creditone secured 3k 35 moths about to close never used  

TransUnion 727
EQ 707
EX 680

BK7 may 2016
capitalone 3.8k

Discover 2000.00

mercury 3500
ebay 9000

apple 3.8k

amex BCE 5000 authk
Message 8 of 12
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Would check your actual FICO scores next time instead not Vantage aka Credit Karma.

FYI, BofA's online pre-qualification is not legit.

Message 9 of 12
mustangy1
Valued Member

bofa prequalify is fishy thanks learned hope not many people get ding becuase of this

TransUnion 727
EQ 707
EX 680

BK7 may 2016
capitalone 3.8k

Discover 2000.00

mercury 3500
ebay 9000

apple 3.8k

amex BCE 5000 authk
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.