Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bypassing 5/24?

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Bypassing 5/24?

I know 5/24 is an unwritten rule. I know most are denied automatically if they apply for a CC while at or over 5/24. However, i'm curious if anyone has any success stories of approvals, outside of green and black stars within the app, or pre-approval in the United app for the Explorer card.

I'm certain i'll be denied, obviously because i'm at 6/24, but i only have a handful of HP's so i've tossed the idea of cold apping the UA Explorer card just to see if i could beat the odds. lol.

But since the UA Explorer card SUB is crap, and i don't expect to travel via plane without my fiance until late next year (she has Explorer card, and i can use her priority boarding), i'm just fine with waiting for a potential pre-approval or getting under 5/24. 

The Freedom on the other hand, was never really on my radar because it would only truly be beneficial to me for 1 quarter ever year (groceries), the rest of its categories don't align much with my spending... However, with the 5x back on grocery spend for 1yr up to $12k. I really wish i was under 5/24 lol. I could pretty easily max that $12k or come close within a year.

I get that a lot of people think they can try to beat the "rules", but i'm curious of data points and experience from those who actually have.

I have no checking/savings with Chase, so i assume going into the branch to ask about "in branch pre-approvals" is useless. However, 95% of my monthly spend goes on my CSR and CFU so they make a good ammount off of me in transaction fees.

|  
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bypassing 5/24?

I was approved over 5/24.

Message 2 of 43
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I just read on another thread about @M_Smart007 getting the Black Star at LOL/24 so hopefully some insight there

I have heard from 2 friends pre-pandemic with great profiles rolling the dice to go past 5/24 and were unsuccessful.  Seems like Chase is stepping up their SUB game very recently with Marriott and with the Freedom changes....perhaps there's a window of opportunity?

Message 3 of 43
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

I just read on another thread about @M_Smart007 getting the Black Star at LOL/24 so hopefully some insight there

I have heard from 2 friends pre-pandemic with great profiles rolling the dice to go past 5/24 and were unsuccessful.  Seems like Chase is stepping up their SUB game very recently with Marriott and with the Freedom changes....perhaps there's a window of opportunity?

@cashorcharge, I just want to clarify, the black star was from 11/2019

Message 4 of 43
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@MyFault, I applied once at over 5/24 .. Instant denial!

I would wait to either be under 5/24 or black/green star.

If possible, you might check in branch with a personal banker? .. JMHO

Message 5 of 43
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks @M_Smart007 
I've never had a Black Star from Chase so......Smiley Happy

doh.jpg

Message 6 of 43
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Just to clarify, you need a checking/savings account to check in branch with a personal banker. Correct?

|  
Message 7 of 43
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@MyFault wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Just to clarify, you need a checking/savings account to check in branch with a personal banker. Correct?

I am not 100% sure?, Maybe someone else can chime in?

you could go in and open a Savings account .. I do not believe they pull Chex for that,

and I know it is not a HP on a CB.

Message 8 of 43
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I am not 100% sure?, Maybe someone else can chime in?

you could go in and open a Savings account .. I do not believe they pull Chex for that,

and I know it is not a HP on a CB.

If i were to open an account, i'd definitely take advantage of the $500 offer for checking & savings. I wish it was still $600... I just don't need or want another checking/savings from a bank like Chase. Hmm..

|  
Message 9 of 43
TSlop
Valued Contributor

I tested the waters on a cold app co-branded card (Hyatt) and was denied at 6/24 for too many accounts in 24 months this past December. I'm sure some people get through without green/black offers, but probably not the majority.

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.