Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 CLI denied

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 CLI denied

Well, I just got the denial (via Cap 1 app) for a CLI I requested.

The reasons listed:
1. Credit Bureau information is missing or not available
2. Your account is too new
3. The account hasn’t had enough recent payment history to establish history (I’ve made two payments already)
4. Recent use of this accounts CL is too low (I’ve used 3k out of 5k)

I figured it’d be denied due to it only being a couple of months old, but is it worth calling them to see if they’ll reconsider? I did not push extra spend through it to hit the SUB, but I don’t like being so close to the credit limit and have been using other cards or just debit. Always PIF to avoid that 25% interest
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 CLI denied

Do you have your CR's locked/frozen?

Has it been at least 6 months since your last attempt?

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are not locked or frozen.

I haven’t had the card for 6 months yet, i was just hoping to get some love from Cap 1
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typically, as stated by the previous member, Capital One doesn't consider CLI before 6-months. Also, Capital One has been tightening things up in regards to CLI, so expect it to be somewhat harder than it was a year or so ago. 

Message 4 of 21
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

OP,

Aside from some cards in credit steps, CapOne is strict on the 6 month timeframe. Simply mark your calendar for 181 days after the card was issued and try again.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, you got a #2 from Cap1.

6 months is the rule and they don't budge.  They're a bit of a PITA to deal with moreso when it comes to making them grow.  Similarly Citi has the same issue with 6 months timing between hitting the button.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will wait then.

With citi, I must of got lucky because I got some love from them about 2-3 months after opening a card with them
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi will tend to give up a SP and HP CLI before the first 6 months but, subsequent CLI's are a mandatory 6 month interval.  I'm not even sure they would do a HP CLI outside of the waiting period if you called them to do so.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing your experience, I would say search the forums for Cap1 CLI posts. You will see some get approved while others don’t, it’s a headache with them. I can see why you got denied since your account is too new for the 1st 3 reasons, but if you are using $3k of $5k that 4th reason is BS.

I have had my account for 4.5 years and I am just at $4.5k for a CL, I got denied for credit line to high and now since I paid off the balance, low use of credit line. Hell if they consider you using your credit line to low, what is the happy medium with them? I decided to use the card only for payment history now, and use it only to pay off my cellphone bill. I am done with Cap1, so many others cards out there that will be better for me. Good luck on your CLI quest with them. 

Message 9 of 21
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Cap One basically never recons unfortunately. Sorry about the denial! Hopefully you can get a CLI in the future. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.