Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 CLI - How to?

tag
onepeace25
Valued Member

Cap1 CLI - How to?

Hi forum, 

Recently decided to push for a CLI on my Cap1 cards after a recent rejection maybe a week or two ago. These cards were not used for a while, I recently started using them for all my spend and have even opened up a savings account with them to get better odds in the future CLI attempt. My question is, how long should I wait before applying for a CLI again? I hear anything from a month to 6 months. Really trying to un-bucket myself on these cards since theyre some of my oldest.

Discover IT $4,300 | US Bank Cash Plus $1000 | Capital One Savor One $1,500 | Capital One Quicksilver $500 | Citi Custom Cash $2,400 | Citi Double Cash $2,400 | Affinity FCU Cash Rewards $12,000 | American Express Platinum | American Express Gold
- Total Revolving Limits $24,100

Gross Income - ~$70,000
4 Settled CO. Paid for settlement in January 2020~
(Update: December 2022):
AAoA - 2 Years 2 Months
Oldest Card: Discover IT - 2 Year 2 Month
Youngest Card: American Express Gold - Opened February 2023

Current FICO 8 scores:
Experian: 700
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
PNWRambler
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cap1 CLI - How to?

If it's a soft pull (I believe CapOne is) then it can't hurt to do it at any point. Some people (myself included) push these buttons like a video game. I request CLI's with soft pulls pretty regularly.  I just got another $2k on my Discover card this week, they tend to be great about CLI's.

As far as bucketing, I have a Capital One Quicksilver that I opened over 7 years ago that's still at $1,500 which is ridiculous considering I have over $75,000 in credit overall. They never approve me for a CLI, but they have approved me for different/new Capital One cards. It seems to me that applying for new cards is easier than getting out of the bucket; I'm sure others will chime in with more experience on this.

Message 2 of 12
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@onepeace25 wrote:

Hi forum, 

Recently decided to push for a CLI on my Cap1 cards after a recent rejection maybe a week or two ago. These cards were not used for a while, I recently started using them for all my spend and have even opened up a savings account with them to get better odds in the future CLI attempt. My question is, how long should I wait before applying for a CLI again? I hear anything from a month to 6 months. Really trying to un-bucket myself on these cards since theyre some of my oldest.

Capital One allows 1 CLI every 6 months and they're pretty strict on that. Both on Bucketed and Non-Bucketed cards. Also once a card is Bucketed it rarely ever gets "Un-Bucketed" by them. Your best bet if you want an Un-Bucketed Cap1 card is to try and get another different Cap1 card.

Message 3 of 12
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Most people when you ask them how to get a cli from cap 1,

cap 1 is an enigmacap 1 is an enigma

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 4 of 12
Tazman81
Established Contributor

What reason did they give you for the denial on the CLI?  If it indicated you were denied due to lack of usage of current credit limit, then Capital One would look for 3 statement cycles of usage and payments in order to reconsider without that denial reason.  Of course it is never a guarantee, but based on data points from others on the site, it is 3 statement cycles.  I also find that to be true for my parent's card, which is a sock drawer card, but take it out to use it for 3 statement cycles in preparation for asking for a CLI.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 12
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@onepeace25 wrote:

Hi forum, 

If you haven't stubbled across the post yet, this is a good explainer  on why your capital one account may never grow. I generally ask for a CLI every month or so on mine, since it's a SP to ask. I've gotten one $500 CLI from my capital one card, back when I first got it. The card was my first one give me a decent limit when I started my rebuild years ago. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 12
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

Recently Capital One seems to be loosening the purse strings a bit on CLIs, so maybe a lower percentage of cards are packaged in that lowest bucket.  My QS1 that I opened with no FICO score at the time of opening (I'm post BK rebuilding)went from $2k to $3500 in Oct after 7 months of usage(a week later PC to VentureOne).  Another member got a CLI from $2k to $5k as post BK rebuilder after a QS started at $300 a few weeks back.  We also had another member who went from $600 to $5600 last month, so looking a bit better with Capital One than expected.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 7 of 12
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Zoostation1 wrote:

Recently Capital One seems to be loosening the purse strings a bit on CLIs, so maybe a lower percentage of cards are packaged in that lowest bucket.  My QS1 that I opened with no FICO score at the time of opening (I'm post BK rebuilding)went from $2k to $3500 in Oct after 7 months of usage(a week later PC to VentureOne).  Another member got a CLI from $2k to $5k as post BK rebuilder after a QS started at $300 a few weeks back.  We also had another member who went from $600 to $5600 last month, so looking a bit better with Capital One than expected.

Yes, i'm the member that got an automatic cli out of the clear blue sky 2k - 5k, card started may 2021 as a 300 sl platinum, now its a 5k QS,.

On the other hand my savor one that i put big spend on every month has only gotten 1 cli for 100 bucks in the last year, 3000 - 3100.

Cap 1 is a head scratcher.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 8 of 12
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

Yup I knew it was you just wasn't calling out names in my post!  I agree they're a head scratcher.  Heavy usage got me a CLI so I'm hoping heavy usage will get me one on SavorOne.  I really just want to get it over the $5k hump so that it's easier for me to keep low reported util with that being my AZEO card.  Anything beyond $5k would be just gravy for me at this point.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 9 of 12
Cali_King
Valued Member

I have two Capital One cards:

Journey => QS

SL $300 went to $500 and stayed there for 2years. I found my FICO summer 2021 and learned about CLI and "bucketing" and requested a CLI then it went to $600. Product Changed it to QuickSilver. Ran some spend through it and got an auto CLI to $4600. Put car insurance monthly on it. 6 mo later requested CLI and it went to $6100.

Platinum => QS

SL $300 went to $500 and stayed there for 2years. Requested a CLI then it went to $600. Product changed it to QuickSilver. Put phone bill on it. Next CLI was to $1600. About 7 mos later got an auto CLI to $4600.

For now, I have my AAA auto insurance on one QS, and my Verizon phone bill on the other. Every 6 mo I request a CLI. I don't know specifically what factors caused the auto CLIs because there were other changes happening on my profile at the time. I did add 5 other cards while I was building my current system.

What I can say is for some months I didn't PIF on the Capital Ones. Some months I paid only the minimum. I did carry a balance for a few months due to unexpected emergency expenses. And I also ran a good amount of spend through the cards. If I remember correctly, both auto CLI came after I paid in full, after carrying a balance for a few months.

“What’s in your wallet?” - Samuel L. Jackson

Apple Card SL $2000 | $8500
Capital One QS SL $300 | $6700
Capital One QS SL $300 | $4600
Chase Freedom Unlimited SL $3700 | $7500
Chase Sapphire Preferred SL $5000
Credit One Platinum SL $300 | $1150
Credit One Platinum SL $500 | $1150
Patelco Pure SL $3000 | $13000
Verizon Visa SL $4000 | $12000
X1 SL $17000 | $13800
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.