Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 PC? Or new card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 PC? Or new card?

In 2011, I got the Cap1 platinum with a $500 CL. They were the first to offer me a nonsecured card. After a few months it grew to $750 and stayed there for a couple of years. Then around 2015 they upped the CL to $2250. Then in 8/2017 they upped it to $5250. I’ve never asked for a CLI until yesterday after reading on here. I asked for $7k and they gave me $7250. It’s my highest limit card. I also have a Barclays at $2000. And two days ago I was approved for Wells Fargo $3500 SL and Discover It for $500 SL ( always turned down by Discover so super excited about it even though it’s a low limit).
Would Cap1 be willing to PC any card to a no annual fee one? Or should I just try for a QS? When I try the prequalify it shows Platinum and QS1. Maybe if I tell them I now have the Discover card with better rewards and no AF they’d be willing to work with me? Right now I have $300 on my Cap1 card and about $150 on my Barclay Card. I usually carry a balance on my Cap1, as I use it for Amazon and Netflix.
Suggestions on what to do?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cap1 PC? Or new card?

You can always weigh the long-term benefits of PC'ing your Capital One Platinum to a QS if you are looking to switch to a rewards program since your CL on your existing CC seems to be fairly decent.

If you apply for a QS, check to see if you are pre-qualified first to gauge your odds for approval. Just keep in mind that if you apply, 3 HPs (for each CR) will be incurred; and if approved, the AAoA hit as well.

Eventually, you could potentially combine both into one larger CL down the road.
Message 2 of 4
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Ask for a pc, no harm, no foul.

I have been approved for better Cap One cards than I was prequal for.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can see if it qualifies for an upgrade by logging in and viewing the cards activity.  Then adding '/productupgrade' at the end of the URL up in the address bar.  May get better results calling in and/or stuff that doesn't show up there, but can at least give ya a rough idea.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.