Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI

tag
Roy-Batty-6
Valued Member

Capital One CLI

Back in November, I requested at CLI and was turned down due to lack of activity. I hadn't really used my QuickSilver card last year 'cause I was building points for a Costa Rica holiday trip via my three Chase cards.

After the denial, I started using the Cap1 again in the rest of November, December, and now in January. I even reported a small balance for this month (although, I paid it off the next day so I don't accrue interest); this triggered an alter on Experian ("An Inactive account has reported a balance). I used between 30% to 80% of the CL in December and January, so I'm hoping I'll get a $200 or $250 CLI.

Does anyone know how much CL use is required to trigger a CLI?

Starting Score: 447 - 5/2019, FICO 9 by Wells Fargo
Current Score: 732 - 1/2022, FICO 9 by Wells Fargo
Goal Score:770

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

4/2022
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI

Using 50% to 65% of my c1 CL and pif ea. Mo. Triggered an auto increase for me after 6 mo..

I called and asked for more and they told me it was too soon, I just had one, and my card was on an automated cli system not eligible for manual increases.

I can only assume that my c1 account is completely automated by an algorithm and I just have to keep flexing it to keep getting increases. Not sure though. Time will tell.

Message 2 of 11
tmax2020
Valued Member

I waited 2yrs to get auto CLI of $4000, I now have a total of $5650. Do not request for a CLI, you will be low balled for $150-200 increase. Capital one is likely to increase you when they make money off you for carringy a balance.

Message 3 of 11
Roy-Batty-6
Valued Member

I've had the QS1 for 7 years, I got an initial CLI after a year, but since then I have to request an increase for the low-ball $100 to $200. I read somewhere on this forum that you'll get those low-ball CLI until you reach $2500, then you can get $500.

4/2022
Message 4 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Roy-Batty-6 wrote:

I've had the QS1 for 7 years, I got an initial CLI after a year, but since then I have to request an increase for the low-ball $100 to $200. I read somewhere on this forum that you'll get those low-ball CLI until you reach $2500, then you can get $500.

Even at $2,500 (or greater), any CLI requests can still come in the form of $100. 

Since Capital One does not review for manual increases, most individuals tend to use their cards quite a lot in the hope it triggers an auto-CLI. Those usually tend to be the most significant, not the ones that are requested. But, it's anyone's guess who will qualify for an auto-CLI. 

Message 5 of 11
micvite
Frequent Contributor

@Roy-Batty-6 wrote:

It depends, I had it at 1000 for a while, got it to 1100, then to 1200 decided I was gonna cycle it a bit, put like 3k spend on the card for 1 month after getting denied for "recent CLI and not enough usage" 2 months after that last 100 increase, I asked again, got 2k CLI to 3200. gonna put 2500 on it in a little bit in hopes of getting another decent CLI

Ex: 742, TU: 726, EQ: 733 03/31/2021
Discover it cashback: $10900
Citi DC: $13000
WF Propel: closed 2k
Amex BCED: $3000
Amex Gold: $NPSL
Amex Plat: NPSL
Cap1 QS: $3200
Cap1 VX $50k
VS CC: $2900
Kohls: $3000
Synchrony car care: $3000
citi best buy visa: $8500
Message 6 of 11
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Roy-Batty-6 wrote:

Not necessarily! My Quicksilver cards are both about 10 years old; one's limit is $4,000 and the other $4,500. I haven't had a CLI in so long...I literally cannot remember when! Every attempt is immediately denied, with some silly 'reason' or another.

Ditto for my Walmart Rewards MC. Its CL was $10,000 when Cap1 acquired it--and that's exactly what it is now, some three years later. *** sigh ***

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 7 of 11
Roy-Batty-6
Valued Member

CapitalOne CLI - Insufficient Usage?????

I'm tyring to get a CLI from Cap1 (foolish, I guess) on my QS1. However, I didn't use it throughout 2021. Until I tried for CLI in November and was denied with "Insufficient Usage" as the reason. So from Nov. 21 through this month, Apr. 22, I've used and paid off 80% of the CL. I tried for a CLI today, and was again denied because "Recent Use of the Account's Credit Line Has Been Too Low."

Not sure how much more I can use the card?

I didn't use it, because it's a QS1 and I'd rather have a Venture or use my Chase trifecta for points, but I wanted to see about bumping the CLI because I'm about to shop for a mortgage in July and I want the lowest possible UTL (currently, 4%. I zero out the reporting balance on all my cards, except for the Apple card atht moment, which I used the free financing for a laptop).

4/2022
Message 8 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CapitalOne CLI - Insufficient Usage?????

@Roy-Batty-6 wrote:

I'm tyring to get a CLI from Cap1 (foolish, I guess) on my QS1. However, I didn't use it throughout 2021. Until I tried for CLI in November and was denied with "Insufficient Usage" as the reason. So from Nov. 21 through this month, Apr. 22, I've used and paid off 80% of the CL. I tried for a CLI today, and was again denied because "Recent Use of the Account's Credit Line Has Been Too Low."

Not sure how much more I can use the card?

I didn't use it, because it's a QS1 and I'd rather have a Venture or use my Chase trifecta for points, but I wanted to see about bumping the CLI because I'm about to shop for a mortgage in July and I want the lowest possible UTL (currently, 4%. I zero out the reporting balance on all my cards, except for the Apple card atht moment, which I used the free financing for a laptop).

You can certainly keep trying and see whether it might budge even a little, but there are no guarantees of a CLI. If no auto-CLI generates by July even with any submitted requests from your end, then it sounds like it could be a tranched account.

Message 9 of 11
Roy-Batty-6
Valued Member

Re: CapitalOne CLI - Insufficient Usage?????

Can you explain what you mean by a "tranched account"? I've had the card for about 7 years, and my current CL is $2200. About four years ago, I missed a couple of payments, but I have received two CLI since then.

I'm tempted to but it back in the sock drawer and get an AMEX Gold. I only wanted to keep it because of its age, not because I like the card.

4/2022
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.