Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One: “Income is insufficient.”

tag
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Capital One: “Income is insufficient.”

It has been over 181 days since my last QS CLI so I hit them up. Normally this card is mostly SDd but I actually put some spend on the card by accident last month because for some reason it was setup as my default card for eBay and I clicked one screen too far without checking my payment method. Oops. They replied with the reason of my income being insufficient. I must be at my internal limit with Cap1. QS CL is at $5,500.  Total CL with them is $21,500. Income is $65,000. Just thought it was an interesting DP since you don't see too many post that one. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One: “Income is insufficient.”

You mention "Total CL with them is $21,500".  What other accounts do you have with Capital One that are not listed in your signature?

Message 2 of 12
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry for your denial, but thank you for sharing that DP. Looks like 1/3 of income is their exposure limit. Good to know. 

Message 3 of 12
mgood
Valued Contributor

I often feel that my income is insufficient.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 771, TU8 766, EX8 775 as of March 28
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE5 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 2/6, 4/12, 6/24
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Curious_George2 wrote:

I'm sorry for your denial, but thank you for sharing that DP. Looks like 1/3 of income is their exposure limit. Good to know. 

That's definitely not the case. I was only ~$500 from having my full income in credit with them before they slashed my QS earlier this year for low use and I still have about 64% exposure with them after. I suspect it's YMMV like anything else. 

Message 5 of 12
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One: “Income is insufficient.

@Curious_George2 wrote:

I know that can't be correct, because @Saeren had $10k on SO and $8.25k on a VO. He's LI and that would have been close to entire income.

ETA: Saeren snuck in while I took call. 

Message 6 of 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

You mention "Total CL with them is $21,500".  What other accounts do you have with Capital One that are not listed in your signature?

I have a 16K Savor. Should be showing in my siggy. 

TCL $199,800
Message 7 of 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Curious_George2 wrote:

That's definitely not the case. I was only ~$500 from having my full income in credit with them before they slashed my QS earlier this year for low use and I still have about 64% exposure with them after. I suspect it's YMMV like anything else. 

Yeah I remembered seeing you post about your exposure with them being super high compared to your income. It must just be something in my profile that makes them not want to go any higher with me. Wish the limits on my two cards were flip flopped. Certainly don't need 16k on a restaurant card lol. 

TCL $199,800
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Yeah I remembered seeing you post about your exposure with them being super high compared to your income. It must just be something in my profile that makes them not want to go any higher with me. Wish the limits on my two cards were flip flopped. Certainly don't need 16k on a restaurant card lol. 

Yeah I have the same problem with a $2K QS and $10K SO now. 

It's really hard to figure out Capital One. Maybe their insufficient income is like NFCU's maximum exposure. Who knows. 

Message 9 of 12
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@Saeren wrote:

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Good counterpoint. I was being too quick to draw broad conclusions from one DP. My bad. 

Interesting that this denial reason doesn't come up more often. Sadly, with them being so stingy with CLIs at the moment, there aren't likely to be many opportunities to test this rule. Maybe someday...

Thanks for sharing this @Ficoproblems247, and for quickly setting me straight @Saeren and @blindambition. 😀

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.