Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Care Credit Approval Odds / Starting Limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Care Credit Approval Odds / Starting Limit

I am considering applying for the care credit card in order to provide funds necessary for a procedure i need done. I know they do a hard pull on my transunion credit score. My current score is 636 and i have no derrogatory marks on my account. However, my current credit card utilization is at 67%. I was writing to inqurie what odds i would have of approval and starting limit.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
credit2019
New Contributor

Re: Care Credit Approval Odds / Starting Limit

You and I have a quasi-similar story.  My score is 663, and because I have always paid my main card after the statement date, I have also had high utilization (>80%).  I was recently approved with CareCredit for $1200.  I don't know how much higher the limit could have been - it asked how much the procedure was, I said $1200, and when it approved me, it said my limit was $1200.  However, after I used some of it I tried to increase it to $2500, and that was denied.  I'm guessing I probably would have been good for at least $1500-$2000 had I entered that as the procedure cost.  I could have been denied for the increase simply because the account is brand new.

Message 2 of 8
CCrew
Regular Contributor

CareCredit tends to be like other Sync products and start low and raise from there. As a data point my wife applied due to some exorbitant vet bills and sitting with an 800 EX/EQ/TU and 0% util only got $4k out of the gate. 

Message 3 of 8
aircobra
Regular Contributor

Care Credit is an odd one. I got a SL of $1500 with scores in the mid 600s. I've used it a total of one time to buy something for $4 at Walmart about a month ago. My CL is now $14,400.

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 4 of 8
credit2019
New Contributor

@aircobra wrote:

Care Credit is an odd one. I got a SL of $1500 with scores in the mid 600s. I've used it a total of one time to buy something for $4 at Walmart about a month ago. My CL is now $14,400.

Wow that is odd.  How old is your account with them?

Message 5 of 8
aircobra
Regular Contributor

@credit2019 wrote:

@aircobra wrote:

Wow that is odd.  How old is your account with them?

7 months.

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the CareCredit with $1K SL opened 3 months ago.  Each month I put $3-400 at Walmart and always immediately PIF a couple days later once it posted.  I tried to request CLI after the first statement.  Declined.  Then tried every 2 weeks or so since then and still decline, decline, decline.

I also have Wayfair starting at $2500 and now is at $4900 (carrying $400 balance due to 0 financing), Overstock at $750 and now at $3900 (zero balance).  Both see usage every month, not much, but CLI on both of them came right after the first statement cut off.  Also, had Sonoma Williams at $1K SL but not able to get any CLI so it is now canceled.

I am thinking of canceling the CareCredit.  I am currently sitting at 6% utilization so a $1K CL is doing nothing for me.

Message 7 of 8
credit2019
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the CareCredit with $1K SL opened 3 months ago.  Each month I put $3-400 at Walmart and always immediately PIF a couple days later once it posted.  I tried to request CLI after the first statement.  Declined.  Then tried every 2 weeks or so since then and still decline, decline, decline.

I also have Wayfair starting at $2500 and now is at $4900 (carrying $400 balance due to 0 financing), Overstock at $750 and now at $3900 (zero balance).  Both see usage every month, not much, but CLI on both of them came right after the first statement cut off.  Also, had Sonoma Williams at $1K SL but not able to get any CLI so it is now canceled.

I am thinking of canceling the CareCredit.  I am currently sitting at 6% utilization so a $1K CL is doing nothing for me.

They declined my CLI as well, but then I got something saying it was because I had blocked my Equifax.  I always block it when I'm not apping, so who knows.  I assumed it would have been a soft pull since it had been less than 30 days since my account was opened, but apparently they went for the hard pull.  I doubt they would have increased it though.  But apparently some people receive massive, automatic bumps.  I guess it just depends on who you are or other algorithmic weirdness.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.