Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Flex App Fraud Department Experience

tag
ibebarrett
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom Flex App Fraud Department Experience

So I had an interesting experience and I'm still waiting to hear back on my application but this has been the experience thus far:

5/11 applied for freedom flex, I checked the status line every few days and kept getting 30 days message

5/17 Apply for Citi card(instant approval)

5/18 Citi card account already reporting on CR

5/22 I received a letter from the Chase fraud department asking me to call to verify details by May 25 or have my application denied

5/24 I spent almost 5 hours trying to get in touch with someone, when I finally did, the Rep told me there was a discrepancy with my social, so I confirmed details and as I'm getting off the phone I get a notification that my EX/EQ were pulled a second time and now I have the 7-10 day message

At the time of the application(5/11) I was at 4/24, I wasn't worried about being denied because I have excellent history with Chase and not a lot of debt or high util. During the waiting process I ended up applying for a Citi card(5/17) for its balance transfer offer(mistake I know). Well Citi instantly approved me and it was showing on my credit by 5/20 putting me at 5/24.

So now I'm just curious what the community thinks. I'm not sure why they ran my credit a second time, but I'm assuming they're going to refer to the new one for my application, and if they do, I'll be 5/24 and instantly denied. It won't be end of days if I'm denied, by November I'll be at 2/24, so it's not a huge deal, but getting my credit pulled twice from two bureaus each only to get denied is frustrating. Has anyone had an experience like this? What was the result? Any recommendations? Do I try calling any particular numbers or just take the hit, learn a lesson, and apply again when I'm below 5/24?

Thanks guys!

FICO 8. EQ - 682. EX - 703. TU - 703
FICO 9. EQ - 735. EX - 716. TU - 749

Capital One Quicksilver - $2350 || Care Credit - $23500 || Costco Citi - $7500 || Redstone FCU Secured - $350 || Chase FU - $6600 || Discover - $2100 || Apple Card - $5000 || Wells Fargo - $7000 || REI Co-op - $15,500 || Citi Diamond Preferred - $2800
AMEX Amazon Business - $5500 || Chase Ink Unlimited - $3000
11 REPLIES 11
jcooks
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Flex App Fraud Department Experience

5/24 rule isn't for inquiries, it is for newly opened cards.  Chase may deny you for that freshly opened Citi

Message 2 of 12
ibebarrett
Regular Contributor

I am aware of the rules, what I'm saying is I was at 4/24 accounts when I applied for FF, but then applied for a Citi card which almost immediately showed up on my credit, then chase pulled my credit again, so the first pull I was 4/24 and the second pull for the same application I'm technically 5/24

Capital One Quicksilver - $2350 || Care Credit - $23500 || Costco Citi - $7500 || Redstone FCU Secured - $350 || Chase FU - $6600 || Discover - $2100 || Apple Card - $5000 || Wells Fargo - $7000 || REI Co-op - $15,500 || Citi Diamond Preferred - $2800
Message 3 of 12
jcooks
Established Contributor

@ibebarrett wrote:

I am aware of the rules, what I'm saying is I was at 4/24 accounts when I applied for FF, but then applied for a Citi card which almost immediately showed up on my credit, then chase pulled my credit again, so the first pull I was 4/24 and the second pull for the same application I'm technically 5/24

Sorry misread that.  If they see the Citi on the 2nd pull, then most likely will be a denial if that's the case.

Message 4 of 12
ibebarrett
Regular Contributor

All good! I know that post was a bit of a jumble. I'm hoping they'll use the first pull but I'm doubtful, I'm just still not sure why they ran my credit a second time without even telling me they were going to.

Message 5 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Did you by any chance transpose digits on your social, or is there a wrong social somewhere on your CR? 

In order to perform a pull, they only need a three point match, but to open an account it has to be 4 point match or fraud gets involved.

Those are name, DOB, address, and SS number. 

They may or may not care about Citi inquiry, but you can reach out to them and ask first pull be re-coded as SP since they got correct CR both times. 

Message 6 of 12
ibebarrett
Regular Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Did you by any chance transpose digits on your social, or is there a wrong social somewhere on your CR? 

In order to perform a pull, they only need a three point match, but to open an account it has to be 4 point match or fraud gets involved.

Those are name, DOB, address, and SS number. 

They may or may not care about Citi inquiry, but you can reach out to them and ask first pull be re-coded as SP since they got correct CR both times. 

I recently moved, which may have been why it was flagged, but the Fraud CSR said the address was fine, so maybe I entered social wrong somehow during application? Thanks for the tip on getting the pull recoded, what would be the best line for that? Any way you think they would consider the first pull over the second? Unfortunately Citi reported the new account within days of application, so it's not just the inquiry that's showing, the newly opened account is as well! I've never seen a new account report so quickly! Normally it takes like 4-6 weeks. Thanks Remedios!

Message 7 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Wait to see what happens with the application.

If you are approved, leave it alone, don't make noise.

If denied, call the automated number, speak with CSR and explain what happened. 

It can go either way since there is permissible purpose. While not so common, fraud concern can result in second pull to ensure correct report was pulled. 

It's really not relevant which pull they may consider for removal, but for current application, second pull most likely. 

Message 8 of 12
ibebarrett
Regular Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

It can go either way since there is permissible purpose. While not so common, fraud concern can result in second pull to ensure correct report was pulled. 

It's really not relevant which pull they may consider for removal, but for current application, second pull most likely. 

I'm sorry I worded that weird, which pull they recode doesn't really matter, I'm just hoping they look at the original pull for the application since that one is only 4/24 accounts and the second pull shows 5/24 accounts. Any way, thanks for the help, now just to play the waiting game! Thanks!

Message 9 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ibebarrett wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I'm sorry I worded that weird, which pull they recode doesn't really matter, I'm just hoping they look at the original pull for the application since that one is only 4/24 accounts and the second pull shows 5/24 accounts. Any way, thanks for the help, now just to play the waiting game! Thanks!

As @Remedios mentioned upthread, it's fairly typical for Chase to access a combination of 2 CRs, such as EQ/EX in your situation.  This is also fairly typical in instances where an application can require further verification due to a data mismatch.  Just keep in mind, whether the second HP is recoded or not, the UW team will be able to see and evaluate the data from both CRs, not just one.

Hopefully a positive outcome will play in your favor, but just wait and see until the decision is finalized.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.