Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire and Marriott BONVOY

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire and Marriott BONVOY

Hi Everyone,

I had a Ch7 discharged 9/2012.  Have spent the last 7 years recovering from a major financial disaster tied to the loss of a family business. 

Capital One was the first to help and I now have a 17,500 CL with them. Have a Citi/BestBuy @ 5,000, DiscoverIT @ 19,000 and USAA Signature Visa @ 30,000. Also have a 6,000 CL with Nebraska Furniture mart which we utilize for 0% big ticket household purchases. My wife's credit profile is similar to mine, with duplicates of Capital One and USAA.

I travel 100% for work, so a Marriott/BONVOY (eww...BONVOY...REALLY? Who is the marketing genius that approved that new winning name?) card would be nice. What I'd really like and want is a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Applied last year and was denied. 

I just moved my primary banking from BBVA to Chase and have a Sapphire checking account along with a decent sized savings account. Every time I check the Chase offers/prequalification site, I get NO OFFERS FOR YOU, LOSER!

My Experian FICO Bankcard Score 8 is at 741. Have 105,000 in available credit <3% utilization posted monthly. Have a mortgage of 250k and two car loans <$28k remaining. DTI is 21%

Anyone in a similar credit situation who has been approved by Chase? The BK is well past us and everyone other than Chase wants to do business with us. Even had a car loan through Chase that was paid off 14 months ago, 2 years early.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I don't want an inquiry hit if it will be futile.

Thanks in advance. I wish I knew this site existed before now. It would've been great to have a support community during the rebuilding process. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire and Marriott BONVOY

Can you recall the denial reasons for your CSP app from last year? With those stats even with no current prequal offers I would think you have a very good chance at an approval barring Chase being included in your past BK and your 5/24 status.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

Can you recall the denial reasons for your CSP app from last year? With those stats even with no current prequal offers I would think you have a very good chance at an approval barring Chase being included in your past BK and your 5/24 status.

First, thank you for your reply.

I believe it was prior bankruptcy. I don't believe anything from Chase was included in the BK. Newbie here, so I'm guessing 5/24 means the number of cards opened in 24 months? If so, I have only obtained Discover and USAA in the prior 24 months. 

Do you know if applying in person at the branch carries any weight vs. a straight on-line application?

Message 3 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Is the BK still on your CRs?  If so, whether online or in-branch, as long as BK reflects on any of your CRs, Chase is unlikely to approve the application until it comes off.   Very rare exceptions to override a denial with BK these days.

Message 4 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

First, thank you for your reply.

I believe it was prior bankruptcy. I don't believe anything from Chase was included in the BK. Newbie here, so I'm guessing 5/24 means the number of cards opened in 24 months? If so, I have only obtained Discover and USAA in the prior 24 months. 

Do you know if applying in person at the branch carries any weight vs. a straight on-line application?

Was the BK discharged from your report back then when you applied?

None at all really. The real advantage to applying in-branch is you can ask them if they have any standing prequalification offers for you. Believe these differ from anything that may pop-up online and you will perhaps get a better chance at one with your already establish banking relationship. If anything it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply. Am surprised to hear Chase is that exclusive. AMEX was included in BK and they have sent pre-approval offers for Platinum, Gold and Blue Cash Preferred. I thought AMEX was the biggest stickler with BK, especially if they were included in the discharge? Didn't think Chase was out of the question. Chase aligns with my needs more than any other card issuer.

@FinStar wrote:

Is the BK still on your CRs?  If so, whether online or in-branch, as long as BK reflects on any of your CRs, Chase is unlikely to approve the application until it comes off.   Very rare exceptions to override a denial with BK these days.

Message 6 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Just an item to keep in mind, though, while pre-approval offers may display online or via snail mail, it's not until you pull the trigger that AmEx will cross-reference internal records and determine whether such an offer will stand.  In a variety of cases, if you IIB, then it's likely you may be on their internal blacklist.

You can always try them, since for any individuals that may be on that list, there's usually no HP and it auto-declines.

Message 7 of 10
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I had a Ch7 discharged 9/2012.  Have spent the last 7 years recovering from a major financial disaster tied to the loss of a family business. 

Capital One was the first to help and I now have a 17,500 CL with them. Have a Citi/BestBuy @ 5,000, DiscoverIT @ 19,000 and USAA Signature Visa @ 30,000. Also have a 6,000 CL with Nebraska Furniture mart which we utilize for 0% big ticket household purchases. My wife's credit profile is similar to mine, with duplicates of Capital One and USAA.

I travel 100% for work, so a Marriott/BONVOY (eww...BONVOY...REALLY? Who is the marketing genius that approved that new winning name?) card would be nice. What I'd really like and want is a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Applied last year and was denied. 

I just moved my primary banking from BBVA to Chase and have a Sapphire checking account along with a decent sized savings account. Every time I check the Chase offers/prequalification site, I get NO OFFERS FOR YOU, LOSER!

My Experian FICO Bankcard Score 8 is at 741. Have 105,000 in available credit <3% utilization posted monthly. Have a mortgage of 250k and two car loans <$28k remaining. DTI is 21%

Anyone in a similar credit situation who has been approved by Chase? The BK is well past us and everyone other than Chase wants to do business with us. Even had a car loan through Chase that was paid off 14 months ago, 2 years early.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I don't want an inquiry hit if it will be futile.

Thanks in advance. I wish I knew this site existed before now. It would've been great to have a support community during the rebuilding process. 

Wow, Chase’s wording has gotten really cruel lately. Lol with Chase it’s super hard to say especially without a prequal. I’ve seen people with worse credit get it, but I’ve also seen people with stellar credit get denied. You might hold off until you get a prequal. Or at least until they don’t call you a loser. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, Chase’s wording has gotten really cruel lately. Lol with Chase it’s super hard to say especially without a prequal. I’ve seen people with worse credit get it, but I’ve also seen people with stellar credit get denied. You might hold off until you get a prequal. Or at least until they don’t call you a loser. 

Yeah, I'm a read between the lines kind of guy...LOL.  Have been waiting for a prequal, but no love. Not hurting for credit anywhere and can be patient. I hate that I feel like a Chase fanboy, but their cards check all of my boxes. 

Message 9 of 10
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I would recommend going to a branch to see if you have any offers. Generally, in-branch offers are more solid and better then pre-quals or "just for you" offers (unless they show a solid APR online).

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.