Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase pulled both EX and TU for my Freedom Unlimited App

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase pulled both EX and TU for my Freedom Unlimited App

Thank you for the information, Remedios.  I had no idea Chase usually pulls two bureaus.  Capital One is notorious for pulling all three and I thought Chase pulling more than one bureau would be more publicized.  Maybe it will be now with this thread.  I did not do a major search but I did search some Chase threads, especially the 5/24 threads, and did not see information about double pulls.

It is interesting that the Chase recon line will not pubicly confirm a 5/24 rule.  I called a couple times after my first call, and they won't confirm the 5/24 rule only that they will deny applications if too much new credit is on the report.

Equifax is also my least pulled report.  I think I only have one EQ HP right now.  I kind of wish Chase would have pulled them instead of TU.  My work CU uses EQ almost exclusively but I think my only other EQ HP is from HSBC.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Message 11 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Because it's not a set in stone rule. Algorithm will deny app for most but not all 

Think of it as if>then>unless sequence 

If you fall under "unless" they might approve 

As far what constitutes "unless",  that's multi-factorial and proprietary 

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Chase FU was my third card (after my two rebuilding Cap1 Platinum cards) and I reponded to a mailer. For me they only pulled EX.  About 1.5yrs ago I applied cold for their Amazon Visa and that too was only a single pull.  So far I've been lucky in terms of single-v-double pulls at Chase.  I just wish I was still under 5/24..

Message 13 of 17
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the information, Remedios.  I had no idea Chase usually pulls two bureaus.  Capital One is notorious for pulling all three and I thought Chase pulling more than one bureau would be more publicized.  Maybe it will be now with this thread. 

Actually, there’s a great resource put together and maintained by member @credit_is_crack, updated earlier this month. DPs on which banks pull which bureaus. I have it bookmarked. In my case, I got multiple Chase cards in last 18 months with single EX pulls but looks like double pulls are more common, especially depending on the applicant and their prior Chase relationship. 

Look here:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/The-quot-Which-Banks-Pull-Which-Report-For-Apps-quot-list/m-p/5542910

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I had no idea Chase usually pulls two bureaus.  Around here it's common knowledge and doesn't get discussed much anymore,  Had you looked in the Approvals section you would be able to suss out the info easily

It is interesting that the Chase recon line will not pubicly confirm a 5/24 rule.  I called a couple times after my first call, and they won't confirm the 5/24 rule only that they will deny applications if too much new credit is on the report.It's an internal policy and you would be surprised what little the people taking you calls actually know about credit let alone a specific UW requirement.

Message 15 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I had no idea Chase usually pulls two bureaus.  Around here it's common knowledge and doesn't get discussed much anymore,  Had you looked in the Approvals section you would be able to suss out the info easily

It is interesting that the Chase recon line will not pubicly confirm a 5/24 rule.  I called a couple times after my first call, and they won't confirm the 5/24 rule only that they will deny applications if too much new credit is on the report.It's an internal policy and you would be surprised what little the people taking you calls actually know about credit let alone a specific UW requirement.

And it's very rare for any issuer to give too many details about UWs, so I don't blame the CSRs.     Basically giving too much information has fairly little advantage for an issuer: yes, it could stop some unqualified applicants, but probably won't get many as they don't read the details carefully.    It can encourage more gaming by people you may really not want (some of MyFico) who will know how to space apps and get an "unhealthy" amount of cards and SUBs.   And it can lead to additional arguments with CSRs, "this card shouldn't count, this was more than 24 months ago" etc.   And finally not giving firm rules allows the issuer some flexibility to approve and deny as they wish, with exceptions to the unpublicised rules

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the further information.  I am very aware about the skills, or sorry to say lack thereof, of some of the people who take calls.  I escalated an issue to the department that handles executive office calls several times this year as the Chase website had a glitch that would not allow new customers to sign up for new deposit accounts.  They were losing new business every day.  The first couple reps insisted there was not a problem.  After several reps one finally called the IT department where they said yeah this is currently a known issue which I helped troubleshoot (she had me try different things and send screenshots).  A month later, they had redesigned the depsosit acount sign up pages and I was able to sign up.  What did they give me for this help? Nothing.  I asked for some UR points and nothing.  Ninety percent of the people who take exec office calls at Chase sound like they are high school voc. ed. students.  Not trying to slam voc ed students but are these really the people you want taking executive office complaints calls?  It really was the worst experience I had with any bank. Ever.  I spent at least 4 hours trying to sign up and sending in screenshots to help them.  I should have gone into a branch to begin with, but I thought this would be faster as they have almost no bankers at my local branch.  Wrong!

I had decided I would wait until I do not have to forfeit the sign up bonus (which I definitely deserve now) and close the account, but I might keep it open for a year to see what credit offers they send my way.  I can confirm that having a deposit with Chase does help with that, at least in my case.

I say this because my regular Chase Freedom Card is my oldest credit card opened about 15 years ago.  I got it when I was rebuilding credit.  My limit was low and I needed to use it a lot for travel so I would pay it off and then charge again before the statement processed.  Well chase really does not like people doing that......a lot.

My account got flagged and I had to speak to a manager at the Illinois office who said she would remove it and nobody would consider it after a couple years.  Well, evidently the flag remains years later.  I have never been late.  I stopped paying off and re-charging more than ten years ago when they told me to stop.  They refuse to lower my APR which is at their default rate!  Again, I have never been late or gone over the limit.  They refuse to raise my cl which is my lowest and remains at $2k.  (My highest is more than $20k.) During this time, they never put any new credit card offers in my Chase Account online, but right after I opened my deposit account they started rolling in.

Anyway, when I get my util down to 20% I will be forced to close the regular freedom card and reopen a new one if I want a card with a decent APR and CL.  The UR rewards points are valuable and that is the only reason I will use the cards.  They really don't act like they care about their customers, even longtime customers who have maintained their accounts as agreed for 15 years.  They claim ignorance about the flagging also even though I was told by the supervisor (who is now an exec at Chase my account had been flagged.)

If this sounds like what Chase is doing with your credit card, my only advice is wait until you can open a new Freedom or other Chase Card and cancel the old one.  You will probably have to cancel the old one first, and I am not sure if you can get a new sign up bonus.  I will probably cancel and then wait for an offer in my Chase Account which is why I will keep the deposit account open for now.  Sorry for the long post but have wanted to post that for a while.  Have a great weekend, all.

(Mod cut - sorry, this cannot be discussed on here per TOS) 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.