cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Custom Cash CLI Denial - Max Exposure?

tag
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Citi Custom Cash CLI Denial - Max Exposure?

After seeing recent success stories with Citi Custom Cash CLIs, I decided to see if I was eligible to request one. Sure enough, I had the soft pull language in my account online. I filled it out and then got the hard pull language. Being the strict gardener I am with all reports frozen, I decided to not proceed further. I got the denial letter today for the SP request, and it provided the following reasons:

• You already have the maximum amount of credit we allow without pulling a credit bureau report

• We currently do not have your consent to pull a credit bureau report

Have I potentially hit the maximum exposure with Citi for my profile? When would be a good time to try again? My reported income is $33.6K and total exposure with Citi is $11.3K between this card and my Costco Visa.

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Custom Cash CLI Denial - Max Exposure?

@CreditAggie wrote:

After seeing recent success stories with Citi Custom Cash CLIs, I decided to see if I was eligible to request one. Sure enough, I had the soft pull language in my account online. I filled it out and then got the hard pull language. Being the strict gardener I am with all reports frozen, I decided to not proceed further. I got the denial letter today for the SP request, and it provided the following reasons:

• You already have the maximum amount of credit we allow without pulling a credit bureau report

Have I potentially hit the maximum exposure with Citi for my profile? When would be a good time to try again? My reported income is $33.6K and total exposure with Citi is $11.3K between this card and my Costco Visa.

Based on the denial reasons you were given, I don't think this has anything to do with hitting max exposure with Citi. All they're saying is they can't move forward without accessing your credit reports. At least that's my take on it!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 14
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Based on the denial reasons you were given, I don't think this has anything to do with hitting max exposure with Citi. All they're saying is they can't move forward without accessing your credit reports. At least that's my take on it!

I agree. Nothing to do with max exposure. All it means is they want to look at a full report before extending any further credit. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditAggie wrote:

Interesting as I received the exact same language with a denial. The mobile app informed me I was eligible for a credit line inrease so I suppled the required data. The rest is history.

Actually I was shocked that there was an invite since a CSR in the Tampa FL Office informed me that I had reached their maximum exposure at the time (back to November 2014). Since then they have not budged! What to say? Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 14
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about your CLI denial!  I saw in your profile that you got this card 11/2021 which is 3 months ago.  Are you sure that the Citi Custom Cash card is available for increases this soon? I have 2 cards issued by Citi and they are only eligible for CLI's every 6 months!  Not sure if all Citi cards fall under this rule or just mine. Best wishes to you whenever you decide to ask again. 

Message 5 of 14
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

I had the exact same language on my Citi Costco. I tried again in about 2 months and the Reasons where gone. However, I had applied for a new card a few days back and it picked it up and was declined for the CLI due to the new account. Crazy Citi 

JR
Message 6 of 14
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Jordan23ww wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your CLI denial!  I saw in your profile that you got this card 11/2021 which is 3 months ago.  Are you sure that the Citi Custom Cash card is available for increases this soon? I have 2 cards issued by Citi and they are only eligible for CLI's every 6 months!  Not sure if all Citi cards fall under this rule or just mine. Best wishes to you whenever you decide to ask again. 

I have seen some DPs of community members able to get the first Custom Cash CLI before six months, but you would have to wait six months for the second one, etc. My Costco card shows a date that I can ask again. My Custom Cash showed the soft pull language, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 7 of 14
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

@CreditAggie wrote:

@Jordan23ww wrote:

I have seen some DPs of community members able to get the first Custom Cash CLI before six months, but you would have to wait six months for the second one, etc. My Costco card shows a date that I can ask again. My Custom Cash showed the soft pull language, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

@CreditAggie  ohhhhh, ok!  Yeah I don't blame you then for asking. Multiple signs pointed towards it being possible to get an increase and being a soft pull makes it a no brainer (my Citi cards are always hard pulls).  I hope next time you ask them they give you a nice sized increase!  

Message 8 of 14
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

My curiosity about this is:  I converted from Double Cash to Custom Cash in Oct. 2021...(3-1/2 months ago)

With that conversion, I preserved the card history since opening in 2013 (which was my intent for the conversion), but did my 6-month CLI clock reset back in Oct. when I converted?  My last CLI on the prior Double Cash was July '21.

EDIT:  Nevermind.....I just went to the portal to check it out. Evidently, my 6-month clock did not reset. Had soft pull language, and just got a $2,000 SP increase.  That was a nice surprise... There's a DP for the recent Double Cash convertee's.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 9 of 14
regional_ryan
Valued Member

Usually with Citi you can expect to get a CLI a week or so after your second statement cuts. Its every 6 months after that. This has been my expereince. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.