Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank Preferred CLI Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citibank Preferred CLI Denial

Hello, I’m a newbie and I have a question. I first got my Citi back in 2017 with a SL of $2K. I requested an increase after 90 days and it now sits at $3K. I have been getting promotional emails and pop ups from Citi inviting me to request for CLI. I’m a 20 yr old pre-Med student with an income of $22K. Back in Dec, I used my cards to the max for points and did not pay it 4 days before my statements cut (as instructed by my parents) which then reported a high balance. My score plummeted from 750’ish-576. Live and learn and never again.
My score is now climbing back up, 718 in Feb accdg to Citibank’s website and 738 according to Equifax. I’m sure this month will see another increase after all my cards report. I have a total CL of $15,500 with UTI of less than 1%.
So I hit the luv button on March 1st and instant denial. The reason given to me was a low score and it was the Jan one. They still keep sending me emails inviting me to apply for CLI so stupid me tried it again and another denial. Score from Jan (Equifax) was cited as the reason. Should I wait to request one in May? Regarding AMEX, the scores shown seem to be behind as well. Do you recommend I ask for CLI in May as well when my score hits above 740? Thank you in advance.

AAOA -16 months
Amex Delta Blue -$6200 SL $3100 (CLI after 4 months)
AMEX SPG - $2000
AMEX BCE - $2800
AMEX Clear - $1000
Citibank - $3000
Alaska - $500

Using my iPhone so please excuse any typos.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citibank Preferred CLI Denial

IMO, I would wait until the score information is updated since it appears an older score and profile evaluation was used. On the upside, no HP and it doesn't reset the clock. Give it sometime for things to stabilize.

Also, out of curiosity, what is the source of the score you provided?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The score I provided came from Equifax (Fico 8) and the 718 came from Citibank’s website. Thank you for your advice.
Message 3 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello, I’m a newbie and I have a question. I first got my Citi back in 2017 with a SL of $2K. I requested an increase after 90 days and it now sits at $3K. I have been getting promotional emails and pop ups from Citi inviting me to request for CLI. I’m a 20 yr old pre-Med student with an income of $22K. Back in Dec, I used my cards to the max for points and did not pay it 4 days before my statements cut (as instructed by my parents) which then reported a high balance. My score plummeted from 750’ish-576. Live and learn and never again.
My score is now climbing back up, 718 in Feb accdg to Citibank’s website and 738 according to Equifax. I’m sure this month will see another increase after all my cards report. I have a total CL of $15,500 with UTI of less than 1%.
So I hit the luv button on March 1st and instant denial. The reason given to me was a low score and it was the Jan one. They still keep sending me emails inviting me to apply for CLI so stupid me tried it again and another denial. Score from Jan (Equifax) was cited as the reason. Should I wait to request one in May? Regarding AMEX, the scores shown seem to be behind as well. Do you recommend I ask for CLI in May as well when my score hits above 740? Thank you in advance.

AAOA -16 months
Amex Delta Blue -$6200 SL $3100 (CLI after 4 months)
AMEX SPG - $2000
AMEX BCE - $2800
AMEX Clear - $1000
Citibank - $3000
Alaska - $500

Using my iPhone so please excuse any typos.

This is purely a guess but if your score was 750 when Citi approved you and now it’s 718, that may be the reason for the declined CLI. 

Also, everything you’re receiving is most likely marketing materials. Pay those no mind. 

Also, I’m impressed that a 20-yr old acknowledged lesson-learned when he didn’t follow parent’s advice. 

Just give it 3-6 months and you’ll be back on track. 

And congrats on your credit portfolio. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you CreditInspired. I spoke to someone at Citibank’s credit Dept yesterday and they told me that their SP scores are 2 months behind. I’ll just wait until the end of summer as I don’t really need a CLI. I reacted to the marketing emails and pop ups. LOL I will just continue to garden and grow my accounts. My last CLI for Amex Delta was back in Jan of 2018. I will try to ask for another frolic AMEX sometime in the fall to make sure they’re pulling a higher score. My Delta is at $6k+ and I don’t really need anything more than that. I use my SPG a lot so do you think I could ask for 3x based on my income? Thank you again for your guidance and advise.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to get my free Equifax report courtesy of Citi since they denied my CLI. They pulled a 597 from Jan and my score increased to 719 on their website for Feb. On the actual FICO 8 from Equifax, they’re showing 733. I chatted a bit with CSR online and he told me that it looks like this is the maximum CL afforded to me at the moment. I sure hope he didn’t try to ask on my behalf. I’m good with $3K limit. I also called their credit Dept and they said they used my “current” score but that’s not what it says on the letter. I’m just going to let it be.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.