Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card approval question

tag
tithelady
Established Member

Credit card approval question

Help. Want to feel comfortable applying for credit and avoid unnecessary hard pulls

Presently have the following scores

TransUnion Fico 8 768

Experian.   "".           706

Equifax.                    757

No real debt whatsoever.  Credit card very low limit $600 1 year old when my spouse and I medical debt that since has been paid in full!!! The medical collection alone wrecked havoc on credit. He passed away as a result medical issues.

Paid cc in full for now 12 months, with less than 15% useage each month. SAvings, checking and money market , pension and ss.  long term member of navy federal cu and bayport cu.  
ive worked hard to handle credit , so scared to apply for credit line or cc in fear of denial and hard pulls. Preapprovals always say I will be approved. 
Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
creditgnome
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit card approval

i have 13 to 19 inquiries. so many approvals this year. i went from 487 on march 21st 2022 to 649 today. i bet i will hit 750 by march of 2023. all my debt falls off and i have so many cards now.

thankful i took my chances ha. 

current credit score: 652/674
800 CL1000 CL1000 CL300 CL2000 CL2500 CL2000CL600CL1000CL1000CL500CL800CL2000CL300CL500CL500CL

Business Credit
3000CL1500CL4000CLno preset limit no preset limit 5000CL
1000CL1000CL2000CL 1000CL 200CL 2000CL1000CL2000CL
Message 2 of 16
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@tithelady wrote:
Help. Want to feel comfortable applying for credit and avoid unnecessary hard pulls

TransUnion Fico 8 768

No real debt whatsoever.  Credit card very low limit $600 1 year old when my spouse and I medical debt that since has been paid in full!!! The medical collection alone wrecked havoc on credit. He passed away as a result medical issues.

Paid cc in full for now 12 months, with less than 15% useage each month. SAvings, checking and money market , pension and ss.  long term member of navy federal cu and bayport cu.  
ive worked hard to handle credit , so scared to apply for credit line or cc in fear of denial and hard pulls. Preapprovals always say I will be approved. 
Any suggestions?

Its almost impossible to get around a hard pull on an initial application for a credit card. You say you are a long time member of NFCU? 

NFCU is the best when it comes to credit cards and they are a little forgiving to those with less than stellar reports, ymmv

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 16
citymunky
Established Contributor

Not sure what type of cards you are looking (i.e. Travel, Hotel cash back, etc).

But Discover has a pre-approval.

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 4 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Hi @tithelady, I've removed your duplicate thread from 'Rebuilding Your Credit.' 

Please avoid cross-posting on myFICO.  It's confusing to follow and is against the rules here. Smiley Wink

Thanks,

--UB

Message 5 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Help. Want to feel comfortable applying for credit and avoid unnecessary hard pulls

@tithelady wrote:

TransUnion Fico 8 768

Any suggestions?

I would suggest applying for a credit card with one of your credit unions.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Help. Want to feel comfortable applying for credit and avoid unnecessary hard pulls

@tithelady wrote:

TransUnion Fico 8 768

Any suggestions?

Dont worry about usage. Its whats reported on statement cut day which should be around 6%. More usage. Better chance of approval and CLI's. Since your a member of NFCU. You can ask for a CLI online and its a SP. And apply for a card to suit your needs. Did the medical collections fall off once paid?

Message 7 of 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@creditgnome wrote:

i have 13 to 19 inquiries. so many approvals this year. i went from 487 on march 21st 2022 to 649 today. i bet i will hit 750 by march of 2023. all my debt falls off and i have so many cards now.

More cards does not mean higher scores. There are plenty of members with 3-4 cards low utilization and have high FICOs. It's not the number of cards you have, 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditgnome wrote:

Good time to let the world of credit have a breather and GARDEN ... Credit appreciates patience and you will find such an approach often helps over the long haul!

Message 9 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

You're not supposed to post the same post in multiple locations in the MyFICO forum.  You have the same exact post under "Credit Card Applications".  You should ask the moderators to remove one of them.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.