Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined, Want to Apply for Different Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Declined, Want to Apply for Different Card

Hi,

I am a new college grad (21 years old) and recently (and probably foolishly) applied for the United Chase card, and was declined. Credit score in 680s with a student loan (completely paid off) as my only source of credit information. Called recon and was told that the reason for declining me was too few accounts, which is completely reasonable. 

Anyways, got me thinking that I need to open some credit card and start building different kinds of credit. Don't plan on buying a car or house anytime soon. I was looking at the Discover It card and was wondering if it would be okay for me to apply for this card now, being that I was just declined for the United one, and what my chances are?

As previously stated, credit in 680 range for all 3, no bad marks or anything (sorry don't know all the terms yet), and just that one student loan. Also was an authorized user on my dad's credit card a few years ago when we went on an international vacation.

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Declined, Want to Apply for Different Card

Setup a $500 SSL through Alliant FCU. It will do wonders for your credit!
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

From there look at Discover and Amex. Both are thin file friendly.

Message 2 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Welcome to MyFICO soyboy

Check out the prequalify pages first to see if you have any offers. Below is the link for Discover and CapitalOne:

https://www.discovercard.com/application/fmo?execution=e1s1

https://findmycard.capitalone.com/en/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_ONE_V01.aspx?external_id=WWW_WP647...

GL to you.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info! I went and did both of them but am a little confused by the results. Sorry for being dumb...Here are the screenshots of what appears after I fill out the forms:

http://imgur.com/YmBIkZZ

http://imgur.com/LhQvTjb

for the Capital one, are both pre-approved for me? And then for discover, is it telling me that I am pre-approved for the It card?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 will only approve one app at a time, but yes those look like solid offers. You could get the QS 1 and possibly change it to the regular QS (no AF) later. Both have the same rewards.
Couldn't tell from Discover, but if they gave you a set APR number, not a big range, then it most likely would be a safe offer to go for
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I think I'll try for the QS1. Being declined for United Chase shouldn't have an impact? (I know it's probably hard for anyone to answer this difinitively) 

Also regarding being declined for the United Chase card, do you think it's worth it to call again and ask for a recon? When I called, I kinda wussed out and the lady just told me why I was declined and I said thanks, have a nice day. Didn't ask for a recon (don't know if it was implied if I called the recon number), and I don't have too many bargaining chips. Basically having an income of $70k, no bad marks, and one loan paid off.

Also, worth trying the executive number instead of recon one?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Message 6 of 21
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I'd go for the Platinum. It's easier to PC it to a QS than it is to PC a QS1.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 3 current cards open with chase and I am only 20(got my first one when i was 19). They seem to like me since the only card I have ever been declined for is the southwest one from chase. Go to the prequal page for chase. I would suggest maybe the freedom. Also do recon and state why you want the card and why you think it would benefit chase and you. Just give it a shot!

Message 8 of 21
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Yup.

Go for the Platinum.

Have had the QS1 for 3yrs and they won't upgrade me to regular QS, but see people here get upgraded from Platinum all the time, plus you won't have an annual fee.
Message 9 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

All good advice here. GL. And, there are no dumb questions -- ever!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.